Update.. pics cleaned CW officers sword plate

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me start by thanking everyone for the id help. I spent 4 hours with a toothpick and toothbrush, then used a qtip w/oil. The green patina is pretty spotty, I don't think I removed anything but dirt. I hope I did'nt hurt the value. I'm pretty happy with how it looks now. Does anyone know the value? Not very familiar with civil war relics, as they are few and far between up here. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• phpEx5ENzPM.jpg
    phpEx5ENzPM.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 602
  • phpI9hVyZPM.jpg
    phpI9hVyZPM.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 619
  • phpHTPkdCPM.jpg
    phpHTPkdCPM.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 610
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may have overcleaned it a little as the thing today is to make it look like it was just dug. Oil is a no-no. It still looks good to me as you say you didn't remove any of the green patina. Relic dealers would get $250-350 for it. Civil War camp or battle site provenance helps the value.
You made a great recovery that you should be very proud of. WTG, Quindy.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good.Remember,although in my mind it changes nothing,it ranges from Pre-Post C.W.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful plate - nice save.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice find. :icon_thumright:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty for sure! Excellent recover there!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Plate, those don't come along very often. In the future, just shy away from the oil. Great Recovery Congrats! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
D

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. I know that this pattern plate was in use until 1874 but am pretty confident that it most likely was worn by local resident fortunate enough to have returned home from the CW. As soon as I find time I am going to check the library and historical society for a list of names of the town residents that served in the CW. Then if I'm lucky find a tax map from the time period, maybe I can match a name from the list to who owned the property where I found the plate. This town has a pretty active historical society so they may be able to help with my research. There's a monument to the CW veterans in the cemetary but only names those killed.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumpdigger68 said:
Thanks for all the comments. I know that this pattern plate was in use until 1874 but am pretty confident that it most likely was worn by local resident fortunate enough to have returned home from the CW. As soon as I find time I am going to check the library and historical society for a list of names of the town residents that served in the CW. Then if I'm lucky find a tax map from the time period, maybe I can match a name from the list to who owned the property where I found the plate. This town has a pretty active historical society so they may be able to help with my research. There's a monument to the CW veterans in the cemetary but only names those killed.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread