Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok. I have been traveling a bit to a new spot and wow! I unearthed a Cavalry Bugle near an old Fort in Wyoming. The Maker's Mark says: " J. Howard Foote New York and Chicago." I haven't been able to find a serial # as I only have a partial piece of the instrument but I found a little on the man, who turns out, is more of an instrument dealer than a maker:
John Howard Foote (1833-1896) was born on 11 November 1833 at Canton, CT. As a boy, he was trained as a clock maker in Bristol, CT and later worked as a journeyman in the machine works of Woodruff and Beach in Hartford, CT. In 1852, Foote moved to NYC. In December of 1853, he was hired by the musical instrument importers of Rohe & Leavitt, and continued to work for them until 1863 when the partners retired and Foot bought out their interests. Except for a short-lived partnership with John F. Stratton in late 1865, Foote managed his large and successful importing business by himself until his death on 17 May 1896.

Foote is probably best remembered as the founding patron of the musical instrument collection of the Smithsonian Institution. In an 1882 letter to the Smithsonian Institution, Foote wrote “most of my goods, though not of my manufacture, are made to order by different makers from drawings, descriptions and in some cases models furnished by me.” In 1868, Foote established a branch store in Chicago. His firm served as the sole American agent for several French instrument manufacturers, including Antoine Courtois Mille. The company ceased operations in 1894.

Anyway, I found some other interesting things as well. Can anyone give my any info on the item with the crossed muskets? I have never seen one. Also I am not sure where the "US" round thing is from either. It 1.25" and appears to fasten onto something, possibly a cartridge case? More to follow...

Attachments

• Finds 9 11 002 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 002 - Copy.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Finds 9 11 017 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 017 - Copy.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,311
  • Finds 9 11 011.JPG
    Finds 9 11 011.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • Finds 9 11 012 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 012 - Copy.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Finds 9 11 009 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 009 - Copy.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • Finds 9 11 010 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 010 - Copy.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,332
  • Finds 9 11 003 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 003 - Copy.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,306
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds today Al! :notworthy:

The bugle is really interesting and I'm sure the crossed muskets badge
could be straightened / restored perfectly by a professional! :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The spoon was found in the area of the Fort but when I got it home I began to clean it and found one word on the back: Occidental. The Occidental Hotel is the oldest structure in the town of Buffalo WY. After a 10 year facelift in the 90's, the Hotel is still in operation. It was scheduled for demolition before someone bought it and subsequently restored it. It has hosted famous people such as Teddy Roosevelt, Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid, The Hole-In-The-Wall Gang, Calamity Jane, Bill Hickock and many more. The Occidental Hotel is also where the Virginian "got his man". My wife and I had lunch in the old saloon and there are still bullet holes from back in the day. So to find a piece of history from that area, to me, is mind-boggling. When I die it will go to the local museum.

The cartridge pictured above is a .44 or .45 caliber, and obviously a misfire. It is exactly how I found it.

I'm not sure about the white box but I suspect it might have been percussion caps? Anybody?

Thanks for looking and HH.

OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a pic of the "US" thing I mentioned above.

Attachments

• Finds 9 11 007 - Copy.JPG
    Finds 9 11 007 - Copy.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,286

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great area around there!I spent a lot of time around Buffalo and Kaycee....lots of cool history!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Recoveries, Can you take a photo of the back of the U.S. Disc? That will better help in I.D.ing it. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! That bugle will buff right out! :D

I would imagine the cartridge is a 45-70...a common "Indian Wars"-Spanish American War era round.

Neat stuff!

OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jon Phillips said:
Cool finds! That bugle will buff right out! :D

I would imagine the cartridge is a 45-70...a common "Indian Wars"-Spanish American War era round.

Neat stuff!

LMAO Now that's funny! Yeah it just needs a fresh coat of wax. ;D

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Great finds!!! I think, without seeing the back, that the US item could be a rosette from a horse halter? I have seen lots of those before in museums and private collections.

I think the best piece is definitely the bugle! I would be willing to bet that with some research you could find out who lost it. There would not have been a lot of those out there at that fort and there is probably a list of who was issued it. There could be a record of a new one being requisitioned and someone charged a fee to replace one lost. I would start with the local historians and the state archives. Would be great to find out who it belonged to!

I wish I was heading out to Wyoming this fall to see the site!
-Eric

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet find. First I ever remember seeing on T-net. :thumbsup:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Man!! Very nice recoveries!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally awesome; love the bugle! :thumbsup: Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread