New member with 20 years of detecting experience! Found myself a merc today
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Sep 2011
    New York
    Minelab E-Trac

New member with 20 years of detecting experience! Found myself a merc today

Long time browser, first time poster. Recently just went out detecting over the weekend with my E-trac to a spot along a lake in the State of New York. Well I am new to this detector, but not new to the hobby. I have been detecting since the 1990's and started out with one of the whites detectors. Now that I have been detecting for 20 years I seem to go much quicker recovering items from the ground then I had been 20 years ago.

It was a beautiful day and I imagined that I would be digging lots of oldies. So I got to my spot and found a nice little area that looked pretty old and had a picnic groove. People used to camp here in the early 1900's so I knew there were oldies to be found. I swung my detector one and got a signal, dug it, and out popped a penny cache. This time it had been full of wheaties and indians! I was so astonished that I hopped up and down for joy (it's my signature move). I went awhile and got nothing but trash and regular zinc pennies. As I was swinging my detector I grumbled on a bit about how all the spots are becomming hunted out and hard to recover items. Well at the end of the day I was beginning to get frustarated and about to put down my E-trac.

I took a break and watched as the sun was starting to set. I drank some grape soda and ate a sandwich and got back to it. I was determined to get one silver today even if it meant hunting in the dark. Well a little time past and it was 7:00pm in the evening. I got some more wheaties, but it was nothing compared to the cache I found earlier. Now on the 2nd to last singal of the day, I got a loud silver sound screaming in my ear. Oh the beautiful sound the E-trac makes when you hit silver just right. Well I did it and out popped a 1943 mercury dime! All that hard work and I managed a 1943 mercury dime!

It was getting to be late, so I decided to pack up and put the detector in my Ford F-150 and drove on home to my beautiful wife who was making me some brownies and congratulated me on another silver

ca
    May 2007
    Canada
    Ace 250
    36 times

Re: New member with 20 years of detecting experience! Found myself a merc today

Pics! Or it didn't happen....

Just kidding. Nice find and welcome to TNet

us
    Apr 2011
    Indiana
    Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
    3 times

Silver is always excellent! It always makes a day better getting a silver coin.

us
    Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    XP Deus
    1578 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

nice find and welcome to the forum!! where in new york are you from?

i reside upstate but currently live in the middle of nowhere (hamilton ny) going to college.

us
    Aug 2010
    Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
    2 times
    Metal Detecting

Congrats! and welcome from another new yorker. I assume you are in the finger lake area of NY?
    MD Totals: 1 Large Cent | 20 IHs | 35 Wheaties | 1 V Nickel | 1 Bust Dime | 1 Merc | 3 Rosies| 1 Washington | 2 Morgan Dollars| Clad: $16.19 | Oldest Coin: 1820 Bust Dime

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links