New member with 20 years of detecting experience! Found myself a merc today

NYDigger

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Long time browser, first time poster. Recently just went out detecting over the weekend with my E-trac to a spot along a lake in the State of New York. Well I am new to this detector, but not new to the hobby. I have been detecting since the 1990's and started out with one of the whites detectors. Now that I have been detecting for 20 years I seem to go much quicker recovering items from the ground then I had been 20 years ago.

It was a beautiful day and I imagined that I would be digging lots of oldies. So I got to my spot and found a nice little area that looked pretty old and had a picnic groove. People used to camp here in the early 1900's so I knew there were oldies to be found. I swung my detector one and got a signal, dug it, and out popped a penny cache. This time it had been full of wheaties and indians! I was so astonished that I hopped up and down for joy (it's my signature move). I went awhile and got nothing but trash and regular zinc pennies. As I was swinging my detector I grumbled on a bit about how all the spots are becomming hunted out and hard to recover items. Well at the end of the day I was beginning to get frustarated and about to put down my E-trac.

I took a break and watched as the sun was starting to set. I drank some grape soda and ate a sandwich and got back to it. I was determined to get one silver today even if it meant hunting in the dark. Well a little time past and it was 7:00pm in the evening. I got some more wheaties, but it was nothing compared to the cache I found earlier. Now on the 2nd to last singal of the day, I got a loud silver sound screaming in my ear. Oh the beautiful sound the E-trac makes when you hit silver just right. Well I did it and out popped a 1943 mercury dime! All that hard work and I managed a 1943 mercury dime! :D

It was getting to be late, so I decided to pack up and put the detector in my Ford F-150 and drove on home to my beautiful wife who was making me some brownies and congratulated me on another silver ;)

Upvote 0

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
Silver is always excellent! It always makes a day better getting a silver coin. :icon_thumright:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find and welcome to the forum!! where in new york are you from?

i reside upstate but currently live in the middle of nowhere (hamilton ny) going to college.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! and welcome from another new yorker. I assume you are in the finger lake area of NY?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread