🥇 BANNER Civil War Relic Hunting at its Finest: A GRAND SLAM Of A Site!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VIRGIN CIVIL WAR CAMPSITE

Hey Guys :hello:, well I must say, sites like this don't come along too often. This site has everything that you could ask for in a Virgin Civil War site and ALOT

of it: Plates, Buttons, Bullets, Accoutrements; A GRAND SLAM! The area is known to me and I've dug alot of good stuff from sites near this one. This was private property and it just

so happened that I was able to gain permission as soon as it was opened up and realized that I was on a stellar site when I swept the coil and couldn't make a single sweep without

digging 5 or 6 Civil War Bullets everytime! Within 20 minutes of the first day I had nearly 40 dropped Minies in the pouch but it was almost dark so I decided to come back the next

day. The next afternoon, the very first signal I dug as soon as I walked on the site was a nice 2 Piece Muffin Button :headbang: The very next signal was another button, this one

Loaded with Gilt, I thought that it would be and Eagle "I" or Eagle "A" but when I lightly brushed away the dirt, a big, Beautiful "R" for Riflemens was staring back up at me! :hello2: A

few moments later, I got a good Silver Signal and popped out an 1857 Seated Dime, walked it to the truck and came back and picked up the detector to finish the sweep and BOOM,

another Silver signal; I poppedthe plug and sawanother silver disc the size of a Dime. I was thinking "Come on Be another Seated" even though I was not holding my breath. When I

removed enough dirt, I saw ANOTHER Seated Lady: 2 Seateds in one Swing. About 20 more minutes go by and I got a nice Brass Signal:

There's more. The next day was the start of the weekend and I invited my buddy Roger aka Getty down from Maryland to dig. He ended up digging many firsts including a Fatty Indian,

TentTensioner, Dandy Button with alot of Gilt and many nice buttons AND.....HIS VERY FIRST U.S. Plate!! :headbang: :headbang: It was a pleasure watching the excitement in his look

and seeing his hands shaking from the adrenaline and excitement of the moment. Congrats Rog on your first U.S. Plate buddy! This was a STELLAR hunt All Day my friend
! :icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:

I decided to take some more photos of some of the relics as I dug them up. Here's a few fresh out of the hole:

Regulation 1851 Officers Eagle Sword Belt Plate
Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

This photo shows a Williams Cleaner, an Eagle "I" Coat Button, and a Minie that were ALL 3 in the same hole. Roger witnessed me digging them because I kept telling him "ANOTHER signal in the hole" :laughing9: In addition, it shows one of the Seateds still in the dirt clump, a bullet and another Seated that were in the same hole together and a pile of the buttons from the First Day

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

FRESH FROM THE POUCH, DAY ONE'S FINDS (plus the bullets from the 20 mins. the day before):

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

PHOTOS OF ALL THE DAYS' FINDS CLEANED: (Plate still has some dirt clumped on the face, haven't finished cleaning all the way)

BULLETS: The Final Count Up to This Point is 72

Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Eagle "R" and Carved Minie
6899709556_b5154b2f98_c.jpg

This bullet shows the Southern soldiers were firing back at them. One of the only Enfields I found at this site:
7045803349_52a1e30e57_c.jpg

BUTTONS
7022696775_989ab871b6_b.jpg

COINS
6899706596_207e6fb2f5_b.jpg

PLATES, BULLETS, BUTTONS, ACCOUTREMENTS

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

Virgin CW Site 13.jpg

LINK TO SECOND PART OF THE HUNT: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,424645.msg3028340.html#msg3028340

This Site typifies the finest that a Virgin Site has to offer and shows that there's still ALOT of stuff out there to be found! Thanks For Looking :hello: :occasion14:

Attachments

• Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    411 KB · Views: 9,495
  • Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7,459
  • Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7,383
  • Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 6,982
  • Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7,113
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
Nice job Josh! I assume all were found with the T2?

Hey Buddy, yes all these relics were recovered with my T-2 Ltd :icon_thumleft:

Arcadian

Greenie
Sep 9, 2011
I'm new to TreasureNet but not to Treasure. That my friend, is the motherlode!! :notworthy: :notworthy: That's a BANNER find all day long in anyone's book!!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
DirtMan1 said:
{Sentinel} said:
umrgolf said:
Wow, what else can a guy like me say ??? other than "cya soon" :laughing9: :laughing9: and "BAnner!!!" hOly ssssshhhh ya, banner for sure.. that is a dream site :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Brutha, I sure wish you were here so that you could share in the finds with me. That's alright, I'll have some sites lined up for us when you come out in a few months. :occasion14:

njnydigger said:
You call that a hunt?!?! Where are the wheat cents, the silver rosies & all the pop-tops??? :laughing7: :laughing9: That is one heck of an outing :thumbsup: I'd bring a bulldozer back & hit that site again tomorrow :headbang:

This site didn't have any of that stuff...very little of it....the surface dirt had been removed so don't have to fight with all that "modern history" as I call it :laughing7: Ask Getty, it was Smoooooth sailing and lots of fun :icon_thumleft: :wink:

kuger said:
WOW!!I dont know what to say bud?Thats the what,4th 1851 style plate this week on here?Unreal condition too.You again have dug the #2 on my "button",list the......."R"!I having never hunted anykind of C.W. site cant imagine getting on one like that especially in todays era of 10,000 C.W. "hunters"!!Would be no sleep for sure!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Kuger, yes when I saw that "R" I was tickled :D Yes, there has been a few Eagle Belt Plates found this week. The difference with mine is I know that its a Civil War Era Plate given the Camp I found it in and its provenance! You've NEVER hunted a Civil War site?? Well, get you a ticket out here to visit me in Virginia and I will have to take you to one :occasion14:

Great point bud,and one I pointed out to one of the other "fiders",there is such a wide range on that plate that,unless you can tie it back...well you know,and you did!!!Awesome man!I have dug a different version of the '51,one that only a few have surfaced anywhere but out here.Nope havet had the pleasure,but can dream of that day when I am rich enough to get out there!!LOL!!Same goes to you bud for some Pre-CW :thumbsup:

OH most of our sites are Pre-CW as well, they were just reused during the Civil War. Most of our sites date to either the Revolutionary War or the War of 1812. I found a War of 1812 Artillery button today out on a "Civil War" site. That's the norm here, LOTS of Pre-Civil War Camps as well.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
kuger said:
DirtMan1 said:
{Sentinel} said:
umrgolf said:
Wow, what else can a guy like me say ??? other than "cya soon" :laughing9: :laughing9: and "BAnner!!!" hOly ssssshhhh ya, banner for sure.. that is a dream site :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Brutha, I sure wish you were here so that you could share in the finds with me. That's alright, I'll have some sites lined up for us when you come out in a few months. :occasion14:

njnydigger said:
You call that a hunt?!?! Where are the wheat cents, the silver rosies & all the pop-tops??? :laughing7: :laughing9: That is one heck of an outing :thumbsup: I'd bring a bulldozer back & hit that site again tomorrow :headbang:

This site didn't have any of that stuff...very little of it....the surface dirt had been removed so don't have to fight with all that "modern history" as I call it :laughing7: Ask Getty, it was Smoooooth sailing and lots of fun :icon_thumleft: :wink:

kuger said:
WOW!!I dont know what to say bud?Thats the what,4th 1851 style plate this week on here?Unreal condition too.You again have dug the #2 on my "button",list the......."R"!I having never hunted anykind of C.W. site cant imagine getting on one like that especially in todays era of 10,000 C.W. "hunters"!!Would be no sleep for sure!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Kuger, yes when I saw that "R" I was tickled :D Yes, there has been a few Eagle Belt Plates found this week. The difference with mine is I know that its a Civil War Era Plate given the Camp I found it in and its provenance! You've NEVER hunted a Civil War site?? Well, get you a ticket out here to visit me in Virginia and I will have to take you to one :occasion14:

Great point bud,and one I pointed out to one of the other "fiders",there is such a wide range on that plate that,unless you can tie it back...well you know,and you did!!!Awesome man!I have dug a different version of the '51,one that only a few have surfaced anywhere but out here.Nope havet had the pleasure,but can dream of that day when I am rich enough to get out there!!LOL!!Same goes to you bud for some Pre-CW :thumbsup:

OH most of our sites are Pre-CW as well, they were just reused during the Civil War. Most of our sites date to either the Revolutionary War or the War of 1812. I found a War of 1812 Artillery button today out on a "Civil War" site. That's the norm here, LOTS of Pre-Civil War Camps as well.

Right,that just makes it all the sweeter!! :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Josh that is one incredible site you've got there man!!! :notworthy:

Congratulations on all those incredible finds . . . sounds like the sites going to be developed and will be gone soon! :'(

Make it count while you can, if you need any help just let me know and I'll be right there! :thumbsup:
Sorry buddy, I spoke to soon :-\ , my wife heard me make the offer to come to Virginia and she just told me,

"there's no bloody way you're going detecting in the States for a week"!!! :nono:

I'm not allowed to go now Josh!!! :crybaby2:

Voting :wav: BANNER :wav:

Dave

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job Josh!!!! I Told everyone that it was a "Stellar Hunt With Sentinel". Im glad you posted our video as I did not want to give up that info till you posted. That is definately Banner. He tells the truth that targets were all day long and not much in the way of modern or trash. I dug 5 wheats one was 1918, and a 44 P nickel. The amazing thing was I dug a cleaner, two feet away he dug cleaner, only his hole had another bullet and a button in it. Next amazing was I dug my plate bout 20-25 yds directly opposite corner of his plate. We still have to explore the Williamsburg site better and more too. I thank you so much for an unforgettable weekend hunt!!!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me tell you what my friend that is a fantastic set of outings right there Bro! Holy S(%@! This is a banner post for sure Congrats on a well desrved Sword plate I know youve been looking for that one!
banner nomination is on the way

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Outstanding finds and a fantastic showing! Thanks for sharing.

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
Josh man, you have the JUJU You are the TNET Civil War Relic King!!! :icon_king: You're a great guy, a good person and a helluva Digger!!! Unbelievable finds buddy!

BANNER BANNER BANNER ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wav: :wav:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
whoa....talk about havin a BLAST! DANG...TARGETS GALORE! That is simply an amazing un-heard of site for these days....big congrats!

Thanks Sniffy, yes they don't come along like this very often that's very true man!

Arcadian said:
I'm new to TreasureNet but not to Treasure. That my friend, is the motherlode!! :notworthy: :notworthy: That's a BANNER find all day long in anyone's book!!

Thanks my friend, its quite awesome! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

ModernMiner said:
WOW!!!! All I can say is ya gotta love virgins!!! :tongue3: :laughing9:
Outstanding recoveries Josh. That's more than I've found in my whole detecting career. :thumbsup:
The CW relics being recovered in VA always make me drool.
You have enough there to start your own museum. ;D
WAY TO GO!
-Dug-

LOL :laughing9: you crack me up! Thanks Doug, you've been a long-time friend on here and plan on it for many more years to come buddy! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLE-EEE-CRAP!!!! I'm speechless :notworthy:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sentinel wow brother that is insane! :notworthy: :notworthy: Thats a huge assortment of finds what a dream hunt. You da man! :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Banner votes y'all.

Getty said:
Excellent job Josh!!!! I Told everyone that it was a "Stellar Hunt With Sentinel". Im glad you posted our video as I did not want to give up that info till you posted. That is definately Banner. He tells the truth that targets were all day long and not much in the way of modern or trash. I dug 5 wheats one was 1918, and a 44 P nickel. The amazing thing was I dug a cleaner, two feet away he dug cleaner, only his hole had another bullet and a button in it. Next amazing was I dug my plate bout 20-25 yds directly opposite corner of his plate. We still have to explore the Williamsburg site better and more too. I thank you so much for an unforgettable weekend hunt!!!

Thanks Roger for your vote of confidence! :wink: I'm glad you had a blast, I did too and was glad you were there to witness some of the fun of this site! :occasion14:

jamesbibb said:
Let me tell you what my friend that is a fantastic set of outings right there Bro! Holy S(%@! This is a banner post for sure Congrats on a well desrved Sword plate I know youve been looking for that one!
banner nomination is on the way

James thank much my friend, it was dang sure a BANNER site! :icon_thumleft: :wink: I'll see you soon, just as soon as they cut all that wheat and grass. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

F

Felinepeachy

MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! Sentinel, those are fantastic finds and definitely well deserved. :notworthy:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could only dream of finding a site like that someday. Looks like you had a great day!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
HOLE-EEE-CRAP!!!! I'm speechless :notworthy:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:

DirtMan1 said:
Josh man, you have the JUJU You are the TNET Civil War Relic King!!! :icon_king: You're a great guy, a good person and a helluva Digger!!! Unbelievable finds buddy!

BANNER BANNER BANNER ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wav: :wav:

Thanks John, it was good seeing you today buddy! :occasion14:

Felinepeachy said:
MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! Sentinel, those are fantastic finds and definitely well deserved. :notworthy:

You are very kind, thanks much Feline! :wink: :wink:

SouthJerseyJim said:
Sentinel wow brother that is insane! :notworthy: :notworthy: Thats a huge assortment of finds what a dream hunt. You da man! :headbang: :headbang:

SouthJerseyJim, you're a scholar and a gentlemen, many thanks to you buddy! :wink:

M

MiniMe

Ok, my bottom jaw dropped when I saw this post. :o Amazing, just amazing. Absolutely an awesome post, the videos, the picts and most of all the awesome finds! One of the best posts I've seen on this site in a long time. Josh you've hit the motherload. I'm speechless - don't know where to start. Congratulations!!!!!!!! :occasion14:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o One of your Best researched ,unsearched , Virgin :laughing7: ia CW site and digs ,,, Ever,,,. The dozer made it easy :icon_biggrin: there are a few Banner finds in that cherrypickin' bunch , goshdawg Josh :headbang: :thumbsup: CMD dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread