🥇 BANNER Civil War Relic Hunting at its Finest: A GRAND SLAM Of A Site!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VIRGIN CIVIL WAR CAMPSITE

Hey Guys :hello:, well I must say, sites like this don't come along too often. This site has everything that you could ask for in a Virgin Civil War site and ALOT

of it: Plates, Buttons, Bullets, Accoutrements; A GRAND SLAM! The area is known to me and I've dug alot of good stuff from sites near this one. This was private property and it just

so happened that I was able to gain permission as soon as it was opened up and realized that I was on a stellar site when I swept the coil and couldn't make a single sweep without

digging 5 or 6 Civil War Bullets everytime! Within 20 minutes of the first day I had nearly 40 dropped Minies in the pouch but it was almost dark so I decided to come back the next

day. The next afternoon, the very first signal I dug as soon as I walked on the site was a nice 2 Piece Muffin Button :headbang: The very next signal was another button, this one

Loaded with Gilt, I thought that it would be and Eagle "I" or Eagle "A" but when I lightly brushed away the dirt, a big, Beautiful "R" for Riflemens was staring back up at me! :hello2: A

few moments later, I got a good Silver Signal and popped out an 1857 Seated Dime, walked it to the truck and came back and picked up the detector to finish the sweep and BOOM,

another Silver signal; I poppedthe plug and sawanother silver disc the size of a Dime. I was thinking "Come on Be another Seated" even though I was not holding my breath. When I

removed enough dirt, I saw ANOTHER Seated Lady: 2 Seateds in one Swing. About 20 more minutes go by and I got a nice Brass Signal:

There's more. The next day was the start of the weekend and I invited my buddy Roger aka Getty down from Maryland to dig. He ended up digging many firsts including a Fatty Indian,

TentTensioner, Dandy Button with alot of Gilt and many nice buttons AND.....HIS VERY FIRST U.S. Plate!! :headbang: :headbang: It was a pleasure watching the excitement in his look

and seeing his hands shaking from the adrenaline and excitement of the moment. Congrats Rog on your first U.S. Plate buddy! This was a STELLAR hunt All Day my friend
! :icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:

I decided to take some more photos of some of the relics as I dug them up. Here's a few fresh out of the hole:

Regulation 1851 Officers Eagle Sword Belt Plate
Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

This photo shows a Williams Cleaner, an Eagle "I" Coat Button, and a Minie that were ALL 3 in the same hole. Roger witnessed me digging them because I kept telling him "ANOTHER signal in the hole" :laughing9: In addition, it shows one of the Seateds still in the dirt clump, a bullet and another Seated that were in the same hole together and a pile of the buttons from the First Day

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

FRESH FROM THE POUCH, DAY ONE'S FINDS (plus the bullets from the 20 mins. the day before):

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

PHOTOS OF ALL THE DAYS' FINDS CLEANED: (Plate still has some dirt clumped on the face, haven't finished cleaning all the way)

BULLETS: The Final Count Up to This Point is 72

Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Eagle "R" and Carved Minie
6899709556_b5154b2f98_c.jpg

This bullet shows the Southern soldiers were firing back at them. One of the only Enfields I found at this site:
7045803349_52a1e30e57_c.jpg

BUTTONS
7022696775_989ab871b6_b.jpg

COINS
6899706596_207e6fb2f5_b.jpg

PLATES, BULLETS, BUTTONS, ACCOUTREMENTS

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

Virgin CW Site 13.jpg

LINK TO SECOND PART OF THE HUNT: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,424645.msg3028340.html#msg3028340

This Site typifies the finest that a Virgin Site has to offer and shows that there's still ALOT of stuff out there to be found! Thanks For Looking :hello: :occasion14:

Attachments

• Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    411 KB · Views: 9,495
  • Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7,459
  • Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7,383
  • Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 6,982
  • Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7,113
Last edited:
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Wow, what else can a guy like me say ??? other than "cya soon" :laughing9: :laughing9: and "BAnner!!!" hOly ssssshhhh ya, banner for sure.. that is a dream site :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!I dont know what to say bud?Thats the what,4th 1851 style plate this week on here?Unreal condition too.You again have dug the #2 on my "button",list the......."R"!I having never hunted anykind of C.W. site cant imagine getting on one like that especially in todays era of 10,000 C.W. "hunters"!!Would be no sleep for sure!! :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Wow, what else can a guy like me say ??? other than "cya soon" :laughing9: :laughing9: and "BAnner!!!" hOly ssssshhhh ya, banner for sure.. that is a dream site :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:laughing7:we were typing at the same time....and both ,well,speechless!! ;D

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Josh that is a killer site. Your gonna make Jeff drool when he sees this post. :icon_pirat: Congrats buddy, I think this is another well deserved banner post. :icon_thumright:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You call that a hunt?!?! Where are the wheat cents, the silver rosies & all the pop-tops??? :laughing7: :laughing9: That is one heck of an outing :thumbsup: I'd bring a bulldozer back & hit that site again tomorrow :headbang:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is UNBELIEVABLE Josh :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: Beautiful pic's and more importantly Beautiful Save's Buddy!!!!!! I don't know where to start on the relic',they're all just outstanding :headbang: When I talked to you on the phone I didn't think you found that much......Thank's for sharing THIS one Brother :notworthy:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a heck of a haul there Josh... Count your blessings that you get to live near so much history...If I only lived near a place that held half the stuff you all have out there....Must be nice! Great finds man :icon_thumleft:

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Wow!!! What an awesome bunch of goodies, gotta love a site like that!! :headbang:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Love the sword plate!

I looked out on that field every day for 2 years, but they never did any work on it at that time. Probably one of the most loaded properties on the peninsula. Nice finds
-Evan

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job Josh! I assume all were found with the T2?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
That's a heck of a haul there Josh... Count your blessings that you get to live near so much history...If I only lived near a place that held half the stuff you all have out there....Must be nice! Great finds man :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Mike. Research helps alot in finding these types of spots, but alittle luck never hurts either. See you soon buddy! ;D :wink: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:

Thanks Brutha, I sure wish you were here so that you could share in the finds with me. That's alright, I'll have some sites lined up for us when you come out in a few months. :occasion14:

njnydigger said:
You call that a hunt?!?! Where are the wheat cents, the silver rosies & all the pop-tops??? :laughing7: :laughing9: That is one heck of an outing :thumbsup: I'd bring a bulldozer back & hit that site again tomorrow :headbang:

This site didn't have any of that stuff...very little of it....the surface dirt had been removed so don't have to fight with all that "modern history" as I call it :laughing7: Ask Getty, it was Smoooooth sailing and lots of fun :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Love the sword plate!

metalev4 said:
I looked out on that field every day for 2 years, but they never did any work on it at that time. Probably one of the most loaded properties on the peninsula. Nice finds
-Evan

You may be thinking of a different site, this site isn't a field...

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! All I can say is ya gotta love virgins!!! :tongue3: :laughing9:
Outstanding recoveries Josh. That's more than I've found in my whole detecting career. :thumbsup:
The CW relics being recovered in VA always make me drool.
You have enough there to start your own museum. ;D
WAY TO GO!
-Dug-

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtMan1 said:
{Sentinel} said:
umrgolf said:

Thanks Brutha, I sure wish you were here so that you could share in the finds with me. That's alright, I'll have some sites lined up for us when you come out in a few months. :occasion14:

njnydigger said:

This site didn't have any of that stuff...very little of it....the surface dirt had been removed so don't have to fight with all that "modern history" as I call it :laughing7: Ask Getty, it was Smoooooth sailing and lots of fun :icon_thumleft: :wink:

kuger said:
WOW!!I dont know what to say bud?Thats the what,4th 1851 style plate this week on here?Unreal condition too.You again have dug the #2 on my "button",list the......."R"!I having never hunted anykind of C.W. site cant imagine getting on one like that especially in todays era of 10,000 C.W. "hunters"!!Would be no sleep for sure!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Kuger, yes when I saw that "R" I was tickled :D Yes, there has been a few Eagle Belt Plates found this week. The difference with mine is I know that its a Civil War Era Plate given the Camp I found it in and its provenance! You've NEVER hunted a Civil War site?? Well, get you a ticket out here to visit me in Virginia and I will have to take you to one :occasion14:

Great point bud,and one I pointed out to one of the other "fiders",there is such a wide range on that plate that,unless you can tie it back...well you know,and you did!!!Awesome man!I have dug a different version of the '51,one that only a few have surfaced anywhere but out here.Nope havet had the pleasure,but can dream of that day when I am rich enough to get out there!!LOL!!Same goes to you bud for some Pre-CW :thumbsup:

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
WOW!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Phenomenal hunt!! :icon_thumright: Big congrats on all that sweetness!! Great post! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread