First Day Detecting, and First Day with Whites Surf PI-PRO

P

PlanetExpress

First Day Detecting, and First Day with White's Surf PI-PRO

Well, I'm new to the board and new to detecting. I went out for a couple hours this morning with the PI-PRO. I bought it yesterday.

I was working a small, rarely used public beach and found all garbage. Pull tabs, etc....

Then I decided to go to the area that looked less used. I found better stuff (older) because there were less people dumping garbage on top of the old garbage that I found. (ha ha ha)

Anyway, these are the results of my first 2 hour detecting. I was basically doing waist-deep in-water detecting. Nothing great, but I spent the whole time digging. There were hits every 4 or 5 feet!

Attachments

• Firstday.jpg
    Firstday.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Re: First Day Detecting, and First Day with White's Surf PI-PRO

Good start. Keep trying...you'll find all kinds of great stuff.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

good start! Keep on digging!! :)

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston

You're off to a good start. I just bought a PI Pro as well and have used it a few times. I started out using the presets on the two dials. I tried it in the surf and on the wet sand. I've found some coins and some trash. Nothing great so far either. I guess that's part of the learning curve. Recently, I did some tests with the PI Pro at home. I found that if I operate it with both dials on the presets, it picked up large and medium size gold items no problem. However, I didn't get a good signal on a small gold item (an engagement ring with no prongs). It was almost like the item wasn't even there. I tried all different angles and distances. I need to turn the sensativity/gain up as far as the conditions will allow which I wasn't doing initially.

It does find small items. I found about 15 bobbi pins at the beach. Some where up to 8" deep! I knew I had the target in the scoop but I couldn't find them. They just kept falling thru the holes in the scoop. HH

Glenn

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alot better than my first time detecting, I found a nail and some "antique" beercans, circa 1980's. :D

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Welcome to the forum and the hobby PlanetExpress. Some good finds for the first time Congratulations. THere are many great finds in your future and I am looking forward to seeing them posted here.

Good luck,

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
P

PlanetExpress

Thanks for the positive posts, guys. I thought I'd get laughed at (which I wouldn't take objection to) for having such a poor first run. ha ha

Glenn-RI: Same story here. I wasn't sure what I was hearing/digging at first, but you have to get used to this machine to really use it, I think. The problem is there are so many targets, I don't even know which to dig. Guess you gotta dig them all.

I would hear like 5 or 6 tones in a single sweep. I was just picking out the louder stuff. Maybe I need to pick out everything?

R

rvbvetter

I see you found an ear ring and I believe that's considered jewelry. So a gold ring can't be far behind. WTG!! HH

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good job !! I would consider it a success for the first time out with a new detector.
Great job on the picture, nice and clear ...well done !!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a good start to me. Considering the PI machines find all metal, you did pretty well on the ratio of coins and tabs (possible gold) vs. nails and chunks of non-descript rusty metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread