May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found in Grandfather's Collection

Someone will be able to tell you for sure. I know there are a lot of fake trade dollars out there. Hope it turns out to be real. :thumbsup:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

When you drop it on a hard surface, does it ring like a bell or thunk like a skunk? Don't drop it on hard, rough concrete, by the way.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

High Plains Digger said:
When you drop it on a hard surface, does it ring like a bell or thunk like a skunk? Don't drop it on hard, rough concrete, by the way.

Wouldn't that tend to make bad marks on a genuine coin? Must be a better way than dropping it on rough rocks!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmm,

Lots of things about these counterfites has come up so.... :icon_scratch: I'm going to say what I know... :icon_thumleft: The first thing to check is if it magnetic most of the fakes are... :headbang: Second is the Reeded edge if the coin of that type is reeded like this |||||||||| its not a fake if its like this \/\/\/\/\/\/ its a fake.... :o The 3rd thing to check is the Field of the coin(Flat open areas) check for small bumps like mosquito bites. :dontknow: If you find any then its a fake... Other things to check for include weight, silver content and size... Coins that are fake will show less signs of perfection like real coins... :hello2: IE: Common mistakes in spelling or layout wrong mint marks or dates and design quality of strike and the coin itself. :tongue3: All things to look out for.... I hope this helps !! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

I said DON'T drop it on rough rocks like cement. A granite counter top would do nicely, and we are only talking of a inch drop. No damage, guaranteed, unless it is made from lead, then maybe.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

High Plains Digger said:
I said DON'T drop it on rough rocks like cement. A granite counter top would do nicely, and we are only talking of a inch drop. No damage, guaranteed, unless it is made from lead, then maybe.

My bad, I stand corrected. (It was late and I was in one of my Ambien stupors, :tongue3:) By your leave, Sir.

B

Bev

Roland58 said:
High Plains Digger said:

My bad, I stand corrected. (It was late and I was in one of my Ambien stupors, :tongue3:) By your leave, Sir.

OMG I just had to giggle at that little conversation! :laughing7:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

Well Bev, have another on me!

Roland58, let's get together and ring a few silver coins! Bars used to be a good place to do it. Seems like I read somewhere that in the days of the old west, tossing the dollar on the bar was a requirement. Taking a bite of it for a test, not so good.

I assume you may be a "Younger" person. It is a crying shame that many of the newer generations haven't heard the ring of a silver coin, and may not even know what I am talking about.

Never mind about getting together at the bar to test silver coins, it sounds you are better off with meds! No headache that way. And I appreciate your gracious retraction. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

High Plains Digger said:
Well Bev, have another on me!

Roland58, let's get together and ring a few silver coins! Bars used to be a good place to do it. Seems like I read somewhere that in the days of the old west, tossing the dollar on the bar was a requirement. Taking a bite of it for a test, not so good.

I assume you may be a "Younger" person. It is a crying shame that many of the newer generations haven't heard the ring of a silver coin, and may not even know what I am talking about.

Never mind about getting together at the bar to test silver coins, it sounds you are better off with meds! No headache that way. And I appreciate your gracious retraction. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Of course I have heard the ring of silver coins.......I was around when coins first started to make a "thunk!" I don't think the tossing of coins on a bar was a requirement and the biting of coins was reserved for the gold ones, for those that still had enough teeth, that is. You should never 'assume' (I'm sure you are old enough to know what happens when you do), I have been drawing SS for years and retired many years ago at the tender age of 53 (good planning on my part.....'pat, pat, pat'.....that's the sound of me patting myself on my back). I don't drink, but, I would surely buy you a beer or whatever makes your wagger wiggle. And, yes, better living through chemistry is wonderful! BTW, it doesn't take a gentleman or a scholar to admit being wrong, but, it does take an ***hole not to.

I do enjoy your posts.......thnx.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Harrismint: