VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems like all I have done lately is write magazine articles. I have cranked out 2 for AD Magazine and another for North South Trader in the past week. I was dying to go hunting. Dman was playing golf and Josh had to work so I made a solo trip to a CSA Cavalry camp with one mission in mind-search an area where the camp blacksmith shod the hundreds of cavalry horses for the CS Soldiers camped there. I hunted for 3.5 hours before it got too hot. It started out at 62 degrees when I arrived at 7 am and was 83 deg. at 10:30 with high humidity. My shirt was soaked with sweat when I left.
I haven't hunted that part of the camp in probably 12 years but a friend had dug 3 iron stirrups there. The old Fisher that I used there previously would almost blank out with the iron nails in the small area. The F75 was a different matter as you can see.
I tossed the first 6 or 7 horseshoe halves that are not in the pic. I was amazed at the horseshoe pieces and iron pot parts there. I brought them home so I could clean and clear coat them to give to school kids as they came from a historic Confederate camp commanded by a famous Colonel. I enjoyed finding the pocket knife and fired .36 cal. ball. I first thought the piece in the middle with 3 holes was a lockplate but after cleaning I believe it's from a wagon. The brass piece inside the small shoe looks to be part of a scabbard tip. I really enjoyed hunting today. Hunt every day like it's your last because it may be. Nothing exciting here but I'm going back because there are hundreds of other targets to dig there yet.
Be on the lookout for my articles about some relic legends and Tenn. Trio finds in W & E, AD, and N S Trader magazine in the next 6 or 8 months. There are 4 articles scheduled for W & E, 3 for American Digger, and 2 for North South Trader so far. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• CSA CAv. Camp 9-14-11.jpg
    CSA CAv. Camp 9-14-11.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,298
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would'a went huntin' with ya, Brad. :icon_pirat: Hopefully today is the last day for the 90's. Looks like tomorrow is going to be perfect for hunting if we can get that rain outta here by then. They are calling for temps in the 70's.. :icon_thumright: Congrats on all the upcoming articles and your finds~

Nana :hello:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like that F75 was very busy, good to see you got to get out diggin.

Bill

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana and Bill, you two jumped on this post faster than a duck on a June Bug. Thanks for looking and I hope you two enjoy your upcoming hunts as much as I did mine today. HH, Quindy.

U

umrgolf

Hey Quindy, glad to see you're getting out in the heat.. Those articles must keep you busy! Looks like you got into a mess of Oxen Shoes out there :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Hey Quindy, glad to see you're getting out in the heat.. Those articles must keep you busy! Looks like you got into a mess of Oxen Shoes out there :thumbsup:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

:icon_scratch:I dont see a single oxen shoe bud???

U

umrgolf

kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

it looked like a few were ox shoes, maybe not.. either way, good stuff :headbang:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

it looked like a few were ox shoes, maybe not.. either way, good stuff :headbang:

:thumbsup:Horse shoes flat wore in half ,bud :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

kuger said:
umrgolf said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

oh well, what do i know.. thought the ones with the fat "lip" on the bottom were ox

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

oh well, what do i know.. thought the ones with the fat "lip" on the bottom were ox

You know a lot bud!!!Especially how to find mindblowing relics!!!! :thumbsup:
I see what your saying,but they are horse shoes....I mentioned in the PM where we find tons...of both

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quindy, YOU GO! Excellent hunt as always. :thumbsup: I know the school kids will love those half shoes. Breezie

PS: You'd better turn those horseshoes around so all your luck want run out! :laughing7:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

Thanks Jeff andCody. We occasinally find some of the little shoes in U.S. and CS sites around here. I always thought they were from small mules or horses used as pack animals for the troops.The square nails are thick in that site. Keep up your good digging in Missouri Jeff and send me a gold nugget from CA Cody. Thanks gentlemen, Quindy.
Breezie said:
Quindy, YOU GO! Excellent hunt as always. :thumbsup: I know the school kids will love those half shoes. Breezie

PS: You'd better turn those horseshoes around so all your luck want run out! :laughing7:
Don't worry Breezie, Modern Miner will do it for me-LOL. I'll trade all this junk for an African Slave Bracelet-LOL. HH, Quindy.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

Thanks Jeff andCody. We occasinally find some of the little shoes in U.S. and CS sites around here. I always thought they were from small mules or horses used as pack animals for the troops.The square nails are thick in that site. Keep up your good digging in Missouri Jeff and send me a gold nugget from CA Cody. Thanks gentlemen, Quindy.
Breezie said:

Don't worry Breezie, Modern Miner will do it for me-LOL. I'll trade all this junk for an African Slave Bracelet-LOL. HH, Quindy.

The mule shoes have a distinct look to them as well,as do the "draft horses",vs. the riding stock :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Looks like you had a good day hunting. I should have gone with you instead of playing golf. I shot a 71 and lost $14.00. It's hard to beat a bunch of high handicappers. LOL

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Quindy! Very kind of you to think of the kids.You are an ambassador to this hobby sir.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman said:
Looks like you had a good day hunting. I should have gone with you instead of playing golf. I shot a 71 and lost $14.00. It's hard to beat a bunch of high handicappers. LOL
You can go next time. If you had gone with me as I invited you to do, you could have bought my lunch with that $14 instead of "donating" it-LOL. A 1770s Reale, 6 CS iron civilian stirrups like the one you dug, flat buttons, and a few .69s have come out of that site so I found out yesterday. Thanks, Q.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bet that I would be there digging them CW iron relics too If I had access them Quindy :headbang: Nice recoveries and a great way to bring awareness to kids about the struggles this country went through to become what it is today ! Kudus to you ! MaineRelic

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That one piece does look like part of a scabbard tip. Hunt it again and I'll bet that there is one little goodie in there for you. Just above that place we dug 2 reals ( 1786 and 1776 I think ) 10 or 12 flat buttons, and some more stuff. Good to meet and talk to you. You are fast becoming a "legend" yourself. Good luck and when the weather cools down, I'll give you a shout. Donnie

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Roger and MR. If we don't keep CW history alive, I'm not sure anyone will for young generations NOW and generations to come. I talked to a friend who teaches American History at our local high school. He starts the Senior year with the year 1875 now. All of the CW history is taught in the elementary and middle school years. That's a shame. Take every opportunity to enlighten kids on CW history by showing your relics and talking to kids. It's our honor and clear respomnsibilty.
tennessee digger said:
That one piece does look like part of a scabbard tip. Hunt it again and I'll bet that there is one little goodie in there for you. Just above that place we dug 2 reals ( 1786 and 1776 I think ) 10 or 12 flat buttons, and some more stuff. Good to meet and talk to you. You are fast becoming a "legend" yourself. Good luck and when the weather cools down, I'll give you a shout. Donnie
Donnie that's quite a compliment coming a Tennessee Legend who has hunted for 40 years. Tnet members, welcome Tennessee Digger. I interviwed Donnie and his wife yesterday for AD magazine. They hunted the good old days and have the relics to prove it. The pewter CS buckle in Donnie's avatar sold for over $14,000 and his wife Julia dug a CS artillery plain tongue with high copper content and a rarity of 9 out of 10 in the Mullinax book and was authticated by him. The interview article will be in AD magazine in mid 2012. Welcome Donnie and if you and I had not discussed that CSA camp that you discovered in the 1990s and I hunted today, I would have hunted another section. Welcome and I look forward to the day we go digging. If you and Doug (Dman) could have gone with me today, He could have bought us both lunch with that $14 he lost golfing-LOL. Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread