Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1060 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

ALL Metal Hunt at CSA Cavalry Camp Today

It seems like all I have done lately is write magazine articles. I have cranked out 2 for AD Magazine and another for North South Trader in the past week. I was dying to go hunting. Dman was playing golf and Josh had to work so I made a solo trip to a CSA Cavalry camp with one mission in mind-search an area where the camp blacksmith shod the hundreds of cavalry horses for the CS Soldiers camped there. I hunted for 3.5 hours before it got too hot. It started out at 62 degrees when I arrived at 7 am and was 83 deg. at 10:30 with high humidity. My shirt was soaked with sweat when I left.
    I haven't hunted that part of the camp in probably 12 years but a friend had dug 3 iron stirrups there. The old Fisher that I used there previously would almost blank out with the iron nails in the small area. The F75 was a different matter as you can see.
    I tossed the first 6 or 7 horseshoe halves that are not in the pic. I was amazed at the horseshoe pieces and iron pot parts there. I brought them home so I could clean and clear coat them to give to school kids as they came from a historic Confederate camp commanded by a famous Colonel. I enjoyed finding the pocket knife and fired .36 cal. ball. I first thought the piece in the middle with 3 holes was a lockplate but after cleaning I believe it's from a wagon. The brass piece inside the small shoe looks to be part of a scabbard tip. I really enjoyed hunting today. Hunt every day like it's your last because it may be. Nothing exciting here but I'm going back because there are hundreds of other targets to dig there yet.
    Be on the lookout for my articles about some relic legends and Tenn. Trio finds in W & E, AD, and N S Trader magazine in the next 6 or 8 months. There are 4 articles scheduled for W & E, 3 for American Digger, and 2 for North South Trader so far. HH, Quindy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSA CAv. Camp 9-14-11.jpg 
Views:	1169 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	567401  
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Re: ALL Metal Hunt at CSA Cavalry Camp Today

Well I would'a went huntin' with ya, Brad. Hopefully today is the last day for the 90's. Looks like tomorrow is going to be perfect for hunting if we can get that rain outta here by then. They are calling for temps in the 70's.. Congrats on all the upcoming articles and your finds~

Nana

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    122 times
    Relic Hunting

Looks like that F75 was very busy, good to see you got to get out diggin.

Bill

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1060 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Nana and Bill, you two jumped on this post faster than a duck on a June Bug. Thanks for looking and I hope you two enjoy your upcoming hunts as much as I did mine today. HH, Quindy.
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

umrgolf

Hey Quindy, glad to see you're getting out in the heat.. Those articles must keep you busy! Looks like you got into a mess of Oxen Shoes out there

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by umrgolf
    Hey Quindy, glad to see you're getting out in the heat.. Those articles must keep you busy! Looks like you got into a mess of Oxen Shoes out there
    Awesome iron Quindy!!!

I dont see a single oxen shoe bud
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

umrgolf

Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    Awesome iron Quindy!!!

it looked like a few were ox shoes, maybe not.. either way, good stuff

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

Horse shoes flat wore in half ,bud
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

umrgolf

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

oh well, what do i know.. thought the ones with the fat "lip" on the bottom were ox

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

oh well, what do i know.. thought the ones with the fat "lip" on the bottom were ox
    You know a lot bud!!!Especially how to find mindblowing relics!!!!
    I see what your saying,but they are horse shoes....I mentioned in the PM where we find tons...of both
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)

M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1111 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quindy, YOU GO! Excellent hunt as always. I know the school kids will love those half shoes. Breezie

PS: You'd better turn those horseshoes around so all your luck want run out!
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1060 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Awesome iron Quindy!!!

Thanks Jeff andCody. We occasinally find some of the little shoes in U.S. and CS sites around here. I always thought they were from small mules or horses used as pack animals for the troops.The square nails are thick in that site. Keep up your good digging in Missouri Jeff and send me a gold nugget from CA Cody. Thanks gentlemen, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie
    Quindy, YOU GO! Excellent hunt as always. I know the school kids will love those half shoes. Breezie

Don't worry Breezie, Modern Miner will do it for me-LOL. I'll trade all this junk for an African Slave Bracelet-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Awesome iron Quindy!!!

Thanks Jeff andCody. We occasinally find some of the little shoes in U.S. and CS sites around here. I always thought they were from small mules or horses used as pack animals for the troops.The square nails are thick in that site. Keep up your good digging in Missouri Jeff and send me a gold nugget from CA Cody. Thanks gentlemen, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie

Don't worry Breezie, Modern Miner will do it for me-LOL. I'll trade all this junk for an African Slave Bracelet-LOL. HH, Quindy.
    The mule shoes have a distinct look to them as well,as do the "draft horses",vs. the riding stock
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    Feb 2006
    Tennessee
    Minelab EXPLORER SE
    146 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Looks like you had a good day hunting. I should have gone with you instead of playing golf. I shot a 71 and lost $14.00. It's hard to beat a bunch of high handicappers. LOL

us
    May 2005
    Maryland
    MXT
    10 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great job Quindy! Very kind of you to think of the kids.You are an ambassador to this hobby sir.

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1060 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dman
    Looks like you had a good day hunting. I should have gone with you instead of playing golf. I shot a 71 and lost $14.00. It's hard to beat a bunch of high handicappers. LOL
    You can go next time. If you had gone with me as I invited you to do, you could have bought my lunch with that $14 instead of "donating" it-LOL. A 1770s Reale, 6 CS iron civilian stirrups like the one you dug, flat buttons, and a few .69s have come out of that site so I found out yesterday. Thanks, Q.

us
    Mar 2008
    MAINE
    Tesorso's
    249 times
    Banner Finds (4)

You can bet that I would be there digging them CW iron relics too If I had access them Quindy Nice recoveries and a great way to bring awareness to kids about the struggles this country went through to become what it is today ! Kudus to you ! MaineRelic
    MaineRelic.

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    284 times

That one piece does look like part of a scabbard tip. Hunt it again and I'll bet that there is one little goodie in there for you. Just above that place we dug 2 reals ( 1786 and 1776 I think ) 10 or 12 flat buttons, and some more stuff. Good to meet and talk to you. You are fast becoming a "legend" yourself. Good luck and when the weather cools down, I'll give you a shout. Donnie

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1060 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Thanks Roger and MR. If we don't keep CW history alive, I'm not sure anyone will for young generations NOW and generations to come. I talked to a friend who teaches American History at our local high school. He starts the Senior year with the year 1875 now. All of the CW history is taught in the elementary and middle school years. That's a shame. Take every opportunity to enlighten kids on CW history by showing your relics and talking to kids. It's our honor and clear respomnsibilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee digger
    That one piece does look like part of a scabbard tip. Hunt it again and I'll bet that there is one little goodie in there for you. Just above that place we dug 2 reals ( 1786 and 1776 I think ) 10 or 12 flat buttons, and some more stuff. Good to meet and talk to you. You are fast becoming a "legend" yourself. Good luck and when the weather cools down, I'll give you a shout. Donnie
    Donnie that's quite a compliment coming a Tennessee Legend who has hunted for 40 years. Tnet members, welcome Tennessee Digger. I interviwed Donnie and his wife yesterday for AD magazine. They hunted the good old days and have the relics to prove it. The pewter CS buckle in Donnie's avatar sold for over $14,000 and his wife Julia dug a CS artillery plain tongue with high copper content and a rarity of 9 out of 10 in the Mullinax book and was authticated by him. The interview article will be in AD magazine in mid 2012. Welcome Donnie and if you and I had not discussed that CSA camp that you discovered in the 1990s and I hunted today, I would have hunted another section. Welcome and I look forward to the day we go digging. If you and Doug (Dman) could have gone with me today, He could have bought us both lunch with that $14 he lost golfing-LOL. Quindy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors