Masaachussetts Dumpster dive nets an antique and a vintage table top.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and I went down to Newbury Mass. this weekend to celebrate the birthday of a long time friend . I was given orders not to bring my detector ::) because I was told I would not have time to sneak off and try to make a find or two. I complied and left my detector home :(. But that did not stop me from making a couple finds . On the way down we stoped to let the dog out and do her thing. I took her the dog :laughing9: in a little gravel pit area to do her business and came back with the O S MORSE, Plaistow N.H. Brick . I collect marked bricks as well as other relics and this is one I did not have :hello2: . Then today we went to Sunday brunch and parked next to a very old looking house in Newburyport that was for sale and had a big commercial dumpster full of discarded junk from the old house , I pulled out the very old looking pantry cupboard base . I wish the top had been in the dumpster as well but it was not . I am not sure if this old cabinet would be a candidate for refinishing or if it is more desireable with the old crazed paint on it ? What do you think ?? I also salvaged the Vintage enameled metal top table with the green flower design on it . Even though the base of the table was not in the dumpster the enameled metal top is in great shape and it should not be too hard to find or build a base for it . Go price what they get for one of these tables at the antique shops and it will shock you ! Thanks for looking ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_2524.JPG
    IMG_2524.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_2523.JPG
    IMG_2523.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,006
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,016
Upvote 0

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave the cabinet as found, old painted furniture can bring a good price. That piece looks to be 19th century, its hard to tell about the paint in a photo if its original or not. take it around to some antique shops and see if theres any interest. A nice find......free

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We will see you on Antiques Roadshow before long MR!!! Good eye-those who can't hunt pilfer. HH, Quindy.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full car indeed.

Some people do like that distressed look.

Would take a lot of effort to get all that black off, but if you did, and gave it a clear finish I think it would look much better. Black paint no doubt not original, so removing it shouldn't harm any value.

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i would leave the dresser like it is, some people would go mad and pay more for it like that than it sanded down, i would gladly take that one and replace my plain wooden dresser with yours and leave it painted as is. but that is my opinion, in the end it is really all up to you.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some nice finds!
you never know without a close exam whether a piece like that cabinet may be rare or valuable, and it takes an expert. especially if there are any markings on the underside, I'd have it looked at before attempting refinishing.
if the black paint was put on unfinished wood, it will be almost impossible to remove it from the grain, from the way it is peeling, I believe the wood was oiled/finished, sometime before painting.
if so, stripper and steel wool will remove it easily. (as far as refinishing is concerned). reoil and polish, and it should be beautiful, and as original.
I wouldn't poly or apply coatings, old wood is oiled, sometimes stained.
Good saves :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice saves, :icon_thumright: . I keep my eyes open for old bricks too, only eyed halfs and pieces so far.

TommNJ

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding!!! :o Who throws stuff antiques like that away? Great pick. That cupboard base is fantastic! :thumbsup:
-MM-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Are you kidding!!! :o Who throws stuff antiques like that away? Great pick. That cupboard base is fantastic! :thumbsup:
-MM-
Hey MR, the way MM aggravates people you may find him in a dumpster up there someday-LOL. Have you done any clean up or work on the finds yet? HH, Quindy.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic saves!!

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
I would Grab a Adult Drink :wink: set down, drink it, then move the Cabinet into my Entry way!!! and wipe with Pledge (Lemon) and set down again and enjoy!!! DO NOT Refinish!!!!!!!!! #1 Rule of Antique Roadshow!!!!! :headbang: If u wanna Refinish it! Call me I'll buy it and drive from NC to pick it up!!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Due to crowded car, did your wife and dog have to catch a Greyhound bus or put out their thumbs (paws) to hitch hike home? I'll bet next time your wife will beg you to bring your detector, lol. btw, I think the brick is totally cool. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions