is this a meterorite??

schultzy141

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2006
found this walking a cornfield today, does not stick to magnet, is it a possible stone meterorite, please help thanks
IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it's possible. to find out cut it in half and see if it has a crystaline structure

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has a crystalline structure, does that mean it isn't a meteorite? There's also a meteorite forum here which might help you out also.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Meteorites do have crystals--peridot and moissenite come to mind. To me, it looks like a broken limonite concretion, but the inside is a little strange. They can have anything in them from calcite crystals to clam fossils to clay. Is there a heat crust on the outside? Just purchased some NWA 869 that had a thin crust on the surface, but I haven't tried to scratch it off. It was very thin as shown by broken parts showing the stoney chondrite inside.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very possible, you might want to take it to a geology department at your local college

HH
-GC

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some kind of fossil.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It doesn't look like any of the stoney meteorites I'm familiar with.

I'm voting for fossil of some kind.

Even stoney meteorites have significant amounts of metal content, which would be at least weakly magnetic.

calihunter1958

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2011
Is it magnetic.....Put a magnet to it...Most meterorites are of an Iron type alloy and magnetic....Also they can be heavy for their size....Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calihunter1958 said:
Is it magnetic.....Put a magnet to it...Most meterorites are of an Iron type alloy and magnetic....Also they can be heavy for their size....Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

he said it wasn't magnetic...

Irchr

Mar 17, 2010
Texas
schultzy141 said:
found this walking a cornfield today, does not stick to magnet, is it a possible stone meterorite, please help thanks
IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

Looks like some "stones" I found where lightening had struck some moist soil. It fused the dirt and made some very interesting "stone".

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
it's possible. to find out cut it in half and see if it has a crystaline structure
I think you will find that a non metallic meteorite does not have the crystalline structure you speak of. And further it takes acid etching and or polishing to a mirror surface to make the crystal structure show up.

If it is not magnetic it does not contain iron and nickel that forms the crystals.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The crystals spoken of in a iron/nickel meteorite are call the Widmanstaten Formation, and is significant because it only forms in space. But Curious George is right.

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
looks like a Trilobite Fossil squished a little, the spot looks like one of the eyes. Most are Segmented but I have seen Smooth ones also :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions