41 and 42 Mercury Dimes in the Catskill Mountains
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24420 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

'41 and '42 Mercury Dimes in the Catskill Mountains

A friend of mine invited me to go with him to an old farm in the Catskill Mountains (New York), where he and some guys hunt turkey and deer. I was excited to go, because this area has been humming since the 1670s, and has a lot of Revolutionary and Indian War history. While my buddy checked his game cameras and did maintenance on tree stands and such, I turned on the Lobo SuperTRAQ, and headed into the field next to the barn. It did not start well.

The first thirty minutes was nothing but pull tabs and a couple of nails (yes, I was relic hunting in all metal). After 35-minutes I hit the corroded “zincoln” penny, and was starting to think about going to help paint the deer stands! I was gridding pretty tight, so I was only about 30-feet from the barn when I hit the 1941 Mercury an hour into the hunt. It was a good signal at 9” or so. Needless to say I got a second wind!

I pulled all of the other iron in the photo over the next hour-and-a-half, and was pretty tired of digging when my buddy came over and handed me a bottle of water. We talked for a while and he said he was almost done. We decided to meet back at the car in about 15-minutes, so I started doing a “W” pattern back to the barn. I was within 10-feet of where I found the first Merc, when the second one sounded off. I knew it was good. It had that sweet “zip-zip” sound. Sure enough, a 1942 Mercury dime at 5” or 6”. Sweet! I hope I get to go back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	568707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	568708  

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links