41 and 42 Mercury Dimes in the Catskill Mountains

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'41 and '42 Mercury Dimes in the Catskill Mountains

A friend of mine invited me to go with him to an old farm in the Catskill Mountains (New York), where he and some guys hunt turkey and deer. I was excited to go, because this area has been humming since the 1670s, and has a lot of Revolutionary and Indian War history. While my buddy checked his game cameras and did maintenance on tree stands and such, I turned on the Lobo SuperTRAQ, and headed into the field next to the barn. It did not start well.

The first thirty minutes was nothing but pull tabs and a couple of nails (yes, I was relic hunting in all metal). After 35-minutes I hit the corroded “zincoln” penny, and was starting to think about going to help paint the deer stands! I was gridding pretty tight, so I was only about 30-feet from the barn when I hit the 1941 Mercury an hour into the hunt. It was a good signal at 9” or so. Needless to say I got a second wind!

I pulled all of the other iron in the photo over the next hour-and-a-half, and was pretty tired of digging when my buddy came over and handed me a bottle of water. We talked for a while and he said he was almost done. We decided to meet back at the car in about 15-minutes, so I started doing a “W” pattern back to the barn. I was within 10-feet of where I found the first Merc, when the second one sounded off. I knew it was good. It had that sweet “zip-zip” sound. Sure enough, a 1942 Mercury dime at 5” or 6”. Sweet! I hope I get to go back! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Farm1.jpg
    Farm1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Farm.jpg
    Farm.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions