Lots of goodies! Old Foreign Coin Cache and more! :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the itch to go out and hun today. I hadn't been out yet for the month of September, so I was definately due to get out and have some fun in the dirt! :)

I went to two houses with small front yards and got your usual clad... nothing exciting at all.

Then the 3rd house gave me the good stuff! :)

I had dug several wheats and then got a deep signal... about 8" down I pulled out a nice 1920D Mercury Dime. I started to grid out the area and out of nowhere I got a hit at about 4" down that I thought would be a wheat penny. Boy was I wrong!! The following coins came out of that hole:

1866 Indian Head Cent
1914 Silver 50 Cen????s.... help on where from please
1916 Canadian Large Cent
2 1921 Canadian Cents
Silver 'Fish Scale' too worn to ID.... darn
Republic of China Ten Cash Coin.... anyone know anything about this one??

7 Nice old coins out of one hole! I only did about 1/4 of the yard. I decided to save some and go back another day when one of my buddies can go with. I got 10 wheats out of that yard in total.

With that in mind I went out to one of the old parks in town and was hoping the detector gods would give me somehting good for being so generous.... and they did.... I got 4 more wheats, a 1919 Mercury Dime, a rusted ring with hearts on it, and a Good For 5 Cents Token marked F.T. on the reverse.

09-04-06.JPG

09-04-06-2.JPG

09-04-06-3.JPG

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Centimes would be France.
It looks like a French coin too.
Nice digs bud, congrats!
You have the touch!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Brian! The 1914 is a French silver coin. You had a very good day and HH, Mike

D

doyboy

One hell of a day, Brian! You seem to know how to do it, dude!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
bscofield6 said:
Republic of China Ten Cash Coin.... anyone know anything about this one??

Republic of China "General Issue" 10 cash, undated but c. 1920.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick info on the foreign coins guys! I was fun seeing one coin after another come out of the ground! :)

Doyboy.... 40 indians for me... are you at 42? I'm gaining on ya bud!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very nice finds. Better date IH. ;D ;D

Now that the weather is cooler and the ground good for digging it's prime metal detecting time. I've got the itch too.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
great finds there !!! its awesome when they keep coming out of the same hole..... ;D ;D ;D

D

doyboy

bscofield6 said:
Thanks for the quick info on the foreign coins guys! I was fun seeing one coin after another come out of the ground! :)

Doyboy.... 40 indians for me... are you at 42? I'm gaining on ya bud!

You are gaining, dude! I better get my "A" game on.

I'm still at 42.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, the 1866 Indian Head books at $50 in G-4 in the 2007 redbook. The back is pretty crusty though, haha.

But it does bring me one indian head closer to completing the series. I have quite a few of them now. :)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some more looking at that tiny silver disc I got. On the reverse I can make out some bit of a wreath around the edge and on the obverse I can make out some stars. As far as I can tell this would make an extremely poor example of a seated liberty half dime.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I love those Canadian large cents...only found one so far...

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the cache..I had a Roosevelt cache yesterday. 8 dimes in 1 hole.. Nice feeling

I always say GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a
[size=14HI HO SILVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!pt][/size]

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Another great pile of finds. I can always count on you and some other members to have some excellent finds.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

A little more experience and perhaps a stronger detector and hopefully I can begin showing you guys some good finds.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Fantastic bunch of finds,really making the Explorer pay its own way,I wonder if the group of coins in the single hole was buried by a child since there wasnt any sort of container? Maybe daddy was a coin collector who didnt notice the coins were missing and by the time he did the child had no idea where he may have buried them..or...Thngs you dig up really get ya thinking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions