relics from Battle of Parkers Ferry 1781!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relics from Battle of Parker's Ferry 1781!

I went out looking for the 2nd Battle of Parker's Ferry, but had to call the hunt due too many other hunters...the deer hunter kind. Didn't want to get perforated myself...

So I moved over to the safer, but more worked over fort site where there was at least one skirmish in 1780. Surprisingly though I started turning up flat buttons and musket balls, very exciting. No coins, sure, but anything out of the earthworks there is cool.

Even a copper thimble, squished, but with heavy dents...from pushing large needles through heavy leather? Hmmmm.

I did find a horse tooth, which raises a weird question...in the 2nd battle the Brits lost 40 horses, just an odd foot note in the history book, but what happened to the dead horses? It DOES mention the American commander carted them off, but not where or why. Short on ammo, food and basic supplies, did the Patriot army have a big ole southern BBQ? And could this horse tooth be from that? Who knows, but always fun to speculate about the odd stuff we find along way!

Check out the vid too!

[youtube=425,350]YejK6beT7fI[/youtube]

Attachments

• phgroup.jpg
    phgroup.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,378
Upvote 0

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: relics from Battle of Parker's Ferry 1781!

I hear in europe horse meat is on alot of menu's, so yeah why not. also hides and bones were commodities, the hide for leather and the bones as fertilizer. somewhere in here glue was made from dead horses too.

Wrecker58

Oct 27, 2010
charlestowne south carolina
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab ctx3030
garrett pin pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool vid jim, ive been hunting that spot for years; mostly in search of where the fox led the tories into that ambush.....ive found many relics from coins,tokens,buttons, musket fire, and miscellaneous items un-recognizable.along with buckets upon buckets of square nails...cool horse tooth-lord knows ive combed those roads hoping to find any indication of the fallen horses..........from research ive learned that francis marion led the tories away from the ferry at least two miles back towards old jacksonboro road.(john c.parkers : parkers guide to the revolutionary war) in his documentation he states he found the ambush site...unfortunately for us the power company/ logging company has destroyed that area for many years now.......im still searching.and not so sure mr parker has found it yet.... its tough trying not to get frustrated with ALL those beer cans ehhh?...happy hunting to you bud...........check out this unknown artifact...its been in the 'what is it' forum with no luck.....this was found on the inside of the western mound

Attachments

• parkers ferry.jpg
    parkers ferry.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,322

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)

Nice digs and digging, for that matter. I reference that tombac button there, as I know from experience that they're brittle. When I busted one in its recovery I wanted to hurl. Note to webmasters- we could use a vomiting smiley for these instances, but for now: :BangHead: :crybaby2:

Very nice tombac example, Jim!

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wrecker58 said:
Cool vid jim, ive been hunting that spot for years; mostly in search of where the fox led the tories into that ambush.....ive found many relics from coins,tokens,buttons, musket fire, and miscellaneous items un-recognizable.along with buckets upon buckets of square nails...cool horse tooth-lord knows ive combed those roads hoping to find any indication of the fallen horses..........from research ive learned that francis marion led the tories away from the ferry at least two miles back towards old jacksonboro road.(john c.parkers : parkers guide to the revolutionary war) in his documentation he states he found the ambush site...unfortunately for us the power company/ logging company has destroyed that area for many years now.......im still searching.and not so sure mr parker has found it yet.... its tough trying not to get frustrated with ALL those beer cans ehhh?...happy hunting to you bud...........check out this unknown artifact...its been in the 'what is it' forum with no luck.....this was found on the inside of the western mound

I have a theory I'd love to check out about the battle site, that maybe we've all been looking on the wrong road. Lemme know if you gonna be in the area, I'd love to go hit it again.

Your artifact is a bunion scrapper.

Ahahahahahaah....no clue bud, but fascinating.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Very interesting!

All the best,

Lanny

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice assortment!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread