Extremely Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad (Madelinus) 680-700 a.d.(New Photos)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this tiny pale gold coin in bad condition with a bunch of other stuff on what I think was a virgin field, so many finds in a short time.

Other finds was a old thimble (beehive, cast); a neat little toy (tin); a hanger; nice little silver buckle with a heart on it; a hanger; pair other silver coins and a bunch of copper/bronze coins. Everything in not so good condition, I had to find that stuff years ago. (found yesterday in Holland).

There was also on the field a deep well (bricks)! Never seen anything like that in a field. Dangerous for the night hawkers for sure. No house close by, and did not see any relics that would show that a house or building was removed, everything was clean. Deep well too, just in the soil, they plow right over it! Photos see below.

About the well, it is very good that we are always looking at the ground is it not??? Just imagine if you did not look at that moment!

I received an determination today from a curator:
"This is pale gold tremissis or silver denarius of the Dorestad moneyer Madelinus, or an imitation of the type produced in Frisia or the Meuse region."

My only question about this determination is that Dorestad was located IN Frisia. Made and imitated in the same place. Could be.
A second determination was made and agrees with Martin's findings.
The same coin is shown here: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1852533
(Thanks to CRU for searching and finding it!)

Was back on the field today, the farmer was starting to seed it. Did not find much, coins and one silver.... (I guess I am too good of a detectorist, I did not leave anything for the next searcher (which happened to be me!).

Attachments

• DSCN4516_resize.JPG
    DSCN4516_resize.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,310
  • DSCN4517_resize.JPG
    DSCN4517_resize.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,306
  • DSCN4530_resize.jpg
    DSCN4530_resize.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,327
  • Small Coin_resize.jpg
    Small Coin_resize.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,187
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Rare finds indeed !! from what i read about near imposable finds, excellent :notworthy: That has to make BANNER this time :thumbsup: Jim

Even if you/others don't understand it, the beauty & crudeness plus its interesting mix of Gold & Silver must be eye catching :icon_scratch:
Yea, always wondered what white gold was, was it painted or did it come out of the ground that way. But that was a bit stupid, its just mixed like other metals. The same as they did with silver, mixing it with copper. Keep learning all the time.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Woody, I made comments and voted on your other post. I'm adding my vote here now. :)
Thanks for the vote here too RPG! :hello2:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
The symbols on the coins look to me to be emblems of a multiple meteorite fall. Wonder if there is a correlation with a known meteorite fall in the Holland area.

Just sayin'.
Pretty good guess Tuberale! But they are just hairs! The second find of mine did not have any real 'stand out' hair though. Funny, that sort of hair we had in the 50's! Straight and full of wax or gunk...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread