Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found "NOT ONE CENT"

Across the dirt Rd from one of my foundation sites is a large wooded area that Im guessing was once used for farming. Spent about 3 hrs poking around mostly digging parts of plows and nails.
Was lucky enough to get this Hard Times Token under my coil, My research tells me its A 1837.

It features the Merchant's Exchange building on Wall Street in New York City on the obverse. The building burnt in the Great New York Fire of 1835. The fire destroyed close to 650 shops and is estimated to have caused over $18,000,000 in damage. This building is featured on at least four different varieties of Hard Times Tokens

The reverse features the saying "MILLIONS FOR DEFENCE, NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE". It resembles the reverse of the large cent in circulation at the time. The "NOT ONE CENT" is said to have been featured prominently in order to avoid charges of counterfeiting. This phrase is featured on the reverse of many different varieties of Hard Times Tokens with various obverse designs.

Attachments

• 100_1617.JPG
    100_1617.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 100_1618.JPG
    100_1618.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_obv.jpg
    1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_obv.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,425
  • 1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_rev.jpg
    1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_rev.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,413
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Today I found "NOT ONE CENT"

Looks to me like you got an interesting variation on the theme. I read "NOT ONE CENT OR TRIBUTE" instead of "NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE". Look at that interesting token again.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Wow, very nice Token and in pretty decent shape too, :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Looks to me like you got an interesting variation on the theme. I read "NOT ONE CENT OR TRIBUTE" instead of "NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE". Look at that interesting token again.

I did not notice that :icon_scratch: the "F" is kinda there.... die error maybe?
thanks for the heads up on that :icon_thumright:

just-dig

Dec 25, 2008
North Texas

Tuberale said:

I'd say look at the fourth picture. It clearly says FOR TRIBUTE

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just-dig said:
Tuberale said:

I'd say look at the fourth picture. It clearly says FOR TRIBUTE

well,....the 3rd and 4th pic are from the internet, I put the clearer 2 last pics up so everyone could read what it actually says instead of squinting at my crusty coin.

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Cool find... Just goes to show, you never know what you're going to dig up next...

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find, a good piece of history! :hello2:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that's sweet :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The F is definitely there. you know how coppers come out up here in the northeast. The F maybe took a little more enviromental damage than the rest of the motto.then again it could be a weak strike. In any event a nice copper to add to the collection! :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

To my eye the F in FOR is much fainter the the other letters of the reverse. In fact, I would say that there is just as much evidence for saying there is a C before ONE as an F before OR.

Part of my proofreading background. Personally, I'm unconvinced of either the F or C on the dug example found by prolab69. Yes, I do see the F on the Internet photo also provided. But in that photo, the F is exactly as bold as the OR, not a faint shadow of an impression.

Almost reminds me of some of the more recent oddities on some Washington Quarters States, where the motto reads "IN OD WE RUST", possibly caused by a clogged die, where both the G and T seem to evaporate into the background.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love it, I want one!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like the F and the E were at a different angle, for artistic value, but they are there.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The phrase 'Millions for Defence, Not One Cent for Tribute' became popular in the late 1700 - early 1800s. It was due to the fact that many American ships were being captured by Barbary Pirates and the passangers were being held for ransoms. There are some good books out there about Thomas Jefferson's war on these pirates. The story of the frigate Philadelphia in Tripoli's harbor is a classic.

There are a few tokens out there with this slogan or a portion of the slogan on them. I've found two this year. One with a similar reverse as yours but the obverse looks like a 1837 large cent. Also found a civil war token that the obverse looks like a 1863 Indian Head penny and the reverse reads 'Not One Cent'.

Great find with lots of history. This one token touches on the Barbary Pirates war, New York City history and Andrew Jackson's financial policies which created the need for these unofficial currencies being created.

Happy hunting

NJ

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Closer inspection shows that the F is in fact there, just a little worn off. I had no idea this would be such a "hot topic" Ive found a few tokens over the years, this being my 2nd hard times token, I found two others that are agricultural related of the same composition. My other hard times is the 1837 groceries token with curved writing on both sides, I wish I could find more of these. In 2 weeks once my bills are paid im going to invest in a shooters coil to hit all my foundation sites again with. I have over 60 foundation sites that keep me busy all season long. These sites have been hit hard before Ive even known they existed and Im quite surprised at the goodies ive pulled from them in the past 3 years of hunting them. Much thanks to everyones reply and info :hello:
Pro-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread