3 October of 2011 .. Imperial Eagle and Roman Sword chape!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 1-wdwd 026.JPG
    1-wdwd 026.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 538
  • 9-wdwd 052.JPG
    9-wdwd 052.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 8-wdwd 065.JPG
    8-wdwd 065.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 528
  • 7-wdwd 067.JPG
    7-wdwd 067.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 522
  • 6-wdwd 056.JPG
    6-wdwd 056.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 5-wdwd 038.JPG
    5-wdwd 038.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 4-wdwd 047.JPG
    4-wdwd 047.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 518
  • 3-wdwd 029.JPG
    3-wdwd 029.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 519
  • 2-wdwd 031.JPG
    2-wdwd 031.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 557
  • 10-wdwd 060.JPG
    10-wdwd 060.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Nice chape mate, similar to the one Cru got the other week :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

very similar, but his makes more sense with the 2 fixing holes, mine had none & was thought to be pinched together :icon_thumright:
It's a very rare find here, so I guess it must be over there :dontknow: as well :thumbsup: :hello2:

The Eagle is interesting, was it a mount for?

(Blue stone is 18th C cufflink piece)

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff, i love anceint artifact type stuff! I wish i could go to a place like that to find just a few!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:
Hi Shaun, Yes Cru known these artifacts such warlike Romans, was a miracle not to have damaged so hard that the ground at this time and how hard you hit them with the tool.
H
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

very similar, but his makes more sense with the 2 fixing holes, mine had none & was thought to be pinched together :icon_thumright:
It's a very rare find here, so I guess it must be over there :dontknow: as well :thumbsup: :hello2:

Hi Cru !
This Chape to sheath could fall Legionnaire during the Punic Wars (1th century BC) ... are very old pieces.
I thought you might allude to the chronological attribution of the bust of Imperial Eagle, at the same place together findings have appeared Romans and Napoleon. in both cases used the eagle as their emblem. :dontknow:
also during the Franco era, but the patina and the stile makes me think that predates the Middle Ages.
rear of the Eagle.

Attachments

• wdwd 028.JPG
    wdwd 028.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 482

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More fantastic history being saved. Love it!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

Very nice chape Hispan, they seem to elude me some what :dontknow:

SS :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
shaun7 said:
Hi Shaun, Yes Cru known these artifacts such warlike Romans, was a miracle not to have damaged so hard that the ground at this time and how hard you hit them with the tool.
H
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

Hi Cru !
This Chape to sheath could fall Legionnaire during the Punic Wars (1th century BC) ... are very old pieces.
I thought you might allude to the chronological attribution of the bust of Imperial Eagle, at the same place together findings have appeared Romans and Napoleon. in both cases used the eagle as their emblem. :dontknow:
also during the Franco era, but the patina and the stile makes me think that predates the Middle Ages.
rear of the Eagle.

Honestly, I'm not sure what period, as I have no reference. Roman seems likely, but I'm not sure :dontknow:

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II / Vibra p. 570
IAMZIM said:
Awesome stuff, i love anceint artifact type stuff! I wish i could go to a place like that to find just a few!!! :tongue3:

Heck yah, me to! I would love to get away from some pull tabs for a few digs! nice finds

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started to investigate and chemical analysis carried out, as soon as possible at the moment can only be sure of a few things ...

The Imperial eagle one head was used only in three periods in the history of my country. these were: :wink:

The Roman times from 2 B.C to 5 centurys .
Eagles the Roman mounts made by casting bronze into a mold, the result was a massive apply. These Eagles have the head facing either side indiscriminately.

The Napoleonic era years 1808 to 1814 .
Eagles the Napoleonic mount were made ​​punching a sheet of brass and 90% of cases the Eagle had his head turned toward the right side.

The Franco era years 1938 to 1978.
No Eagles mount were made during the Franco era, only stone statues, and the patina of this piece indicates that it has more than 100 years old ... so the Franco era is ruled out for this piece. ::)

And can not be the Eagle mount of the U.S buckle , because the soldiers did not come till here .... :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
I started to investigate and chemical analysis carried out, as soon as possible at the moment can only be sure of a few things ...

The Imperial eagle one head was used only in three periods in the history of my country. these were: :wink:

Eagles the Roman mounts made by casting bronze into a mold, the result was a massive apply. These Eagles have the head facing either side indiscriminately.

Eagles the Napoleonic mount were made ​​punching a sheet of brass and 90% of cases the Eagle had his head turned toward the right side.

No Eagles mount were made during the Franco era, only stone statues, and the patina of this piece indicates that it has more than 100 years old ... so the Franco era is ruled out for this piece. ::)

And can not be the Eagle mount of the U.S buckle , because the soldiers did not come till here .... :laughing7:

That was my basic question, what was it mounted to in the Roman period?

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
:notworthy:

Very nice chape Hispan, they seem to elude me some what :dontknow:

SS :icon_thumleft:
Hi master ! :hello:
you are an expert in this type of finds .... and say your opinion. can also showing to UKDF on and pass as British for them to say something. :laughing7:
H

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
HISPAN said:

:dontknow:
anything is possible you know in these cases can not speculate, but an analysis by experts carried out, as soon as possible.
Perhaps this frame was inserted in the wall of a Roman villa during the early years were lived by Roman legionnaires who had participated in the conquest of my country.
Nor do I know a frame inserted into the armor, or in defense shields of the legionaries.
Perhaps to be part of the decoration of any mausoleum or wall of a villa, this would identify the owner of the villa as a Roman legionary.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
CRUSADER said:
HISPAN said:

:dontknow:
anything is possible you know in these cases can not speculate, but an analysis by experts carried out, as soon as possible.
Perhaps this frame was inserted in the wall of a Roman villa during the early years were lived by Roman legionnaires who had participated in the conquest of my country.
Nor do I know a frame inserted into the armor, or in defense shields of the legionaries.
Perhaps to be part of the decoration of any mausoleum or wall of a villa, this would identify the owner of the villa as a Roman legionary.

OK, got you, Archaeological best guess, the usual 'mount' scenario :laughing9:

I just thought you maybe able to enlighten me a little, as I didn't know :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread