Closing in on Rev War Camp

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I've been doing alot of research on Rev War sites in the NY tri-state area and got a great break today. Have read old accounts from the 1800s and early 1900s about ruins found at that time from the 1700s. The challenge is to locate those sites now, some of which have been built up. An area historian reached a person (non-detectorist) he knew who told him the following in an email forwarded to me (slightly altered to protect my hard work to find this site). "I did alot of walking. Did find signs of a camp where indicated in the old book. It was a large, flat area. I located fireplace outlines. Place is pretty built up, which makes it hard to look for. It was off ____ road as you stated." (His email was sent to me by my other contact, so I am still trying to reach him directly to get exactly where this is on the road mentioned, since it's a long road. Still some work to do, but this could be a fantastic site...will keep you updated.)

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
good luck with it bergie. when i was in your neck of the woods it looked like there must be a lot of cool older spots tucked away. its a really nice area to live. i hope you can locate the camp and find some real gems!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Good luck

There's alot of fun in finding and tracing back history.

It makes it just that much better if you locate it and actually find something.

Most of the time the treasure is in finding the site itself.

Finds are just icing on top afterwards.

New york is a great place to be for it also.

HH Jer

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Bergie said:
The challenge is to locate those sites now, some of which have been built up.

This is the case I run across all the time. The disappointing thing about premium researched sites is prime ground then, is prime ground now. During the civil war they would camp on the high ground near a creek. People love to build houses over looking creeks, so most of it is eaten up by development and the land has been dozed and landscaped beyond hope.

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
White xlt/Minelab Quattro
I wish You the Best of luck... I'm in the Mohawk valley triing to trace the steps of a group of 500 tories and Indians which raided and burned some Forts in this area Ive done alot of the book work just need to find the time to do some leg work.. :)

Stacey

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Persistance pay's off...Good luck and keep us posted..HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions