BallPark Findz

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out earlier this week and did a small little league park that I am guessing had originated in the mid 1930's.
I had not had time to post them until now. This time I was using a digital detector with an elliptical double d coil for the first time.
Definitely a new experience as I had never used a coil that big before, or an elliptical, not to mention it is my first step into the digital age of
detectors. Overall I found it pretty good, but the verdict is still out. I dont really have a solid opinion on it.
I think after about 30 hours of use with it I will know what it does and does not do.
I got a buffalo, but so corroded the date was not visible. :( However, combine that with a 1928 wheat cent, a silver rosie dime , and along with the fact
I found 3 nickels that were 1964 I think this site may be hiding something somewhere. ;D

You can imagine what I thought this was when I yanked it out of the ground.
Whatzit.jpg

With it all covered with dirt and unable to see the holes in it my eyes did that "hang-time" thing. After convincing myself it was not a dollar I brushed the dirt off to see it for the "whatzit" it was. :laughing7:

Overall, I dont think my analog detector would have missed these. I think they would have found them as well. I am not condoning any brand here of detectors; I think they all have their strong and weak points.
OctPark2a.jpg

Closeup. Still the buffalo tough to see. Let me tell you I used a 3:1 water to ammonia to clean it. It just made it worse.
OctPark.jpg

Happy Hunting All! Lets get em in before the ground freezes!

Upvote 0

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your whatsit looks like it may have belonged on the inside of a pocket watch. Nice finds, congrats!

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HuntNdig said:
your whatsit looks like it may have belonged on the inside of a pocket watch. Nice finds, congrats!

My opinion, also.

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II / Vibra p. 570
I am all to familar with ball park hunting. Lots of pennies and pull tabs but fun. I would send a picture to the what is it forum, nice finds and good hunting!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice thing about ballfields is that you can keep going back. I have two that I thought were newer. The neighber said 1960's-ish. I started digging 120+ y.o. silver and IH's, and found out later that fairs and circuses were held there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread