Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Hello everyone! Long time!

As some of you know, I moved off Long Island last year, and headed upstate; I'm just outside of Lake George these days, and have been working hard to learn the new spots and do the research. After some minor wins last year (1-pound cannon ball, handful of musket balls) it's been really heating up for me lately, and yesterday I made my best coin find to date.

I was hunting some pretty dense woods that run along an old military road here that was used during the French & Indian War, close to several battle/ambush sites. I got one of those weird hunches to turn left instead of right, and about two feet after changing direction I hit a nice dime-type signal with my DFX. It was really shallow -- only about an inch and a half -- so I used my hands to brush away the dirt (didn't even bother digging), so you can imagine my surprise when a pristine 1724F 2 Reale "Cross Pistareen" popped up!

The detail on it is pretty fantastic. Although I'd like to think it was dropped during one of the battles there in 1755, I just don't know if it would've withstood 31 years of circulation and still be in the condition it's in today. But at any rate, it's now the oldest silver I've found (prior record holder was my 1738 1 Reale Pistareen) and is tied with my 1724 Charles II halfpenny as my oldest coin overall. Not a bad day of hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,844
  • 20111009140049b.jpg
    20111009140049b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11,291
  • 20111009140351b.jpg
    20111009140351b.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11,297
  • IMG_6808b.jpg
    IMG_6808b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11,254
  • IMG_6805b.jpg
    IMG_6805b.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11,250
  • IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,843
Upvote 6

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Darn thats in nice shape. Had to have been dropped, and after all there years, just under the dirt. Amazing, nice find, congrats :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: .........................Rich

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

b, Now that is worth getting excited over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!God Bless HH Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Won't be easy to top that one! :thumbsup:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Hey Brendan,

I'm trying to think of some great adjectives to describe you coin - but I'll just have to settle with incredible, fantastic and beautiful! I'm still looking for my first 2 Reale. Funny, just the other day I was going to contact you and see how you're doing, but I got distracted. That's a banner find for sure! Certainly a coin to be real proud of! With the cool weather coming now, you should be able to find more good stuff, especially with the vast amount of land to hunt up there.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow!
Congrats on a terrific coin.

Palmetto

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good looking coin.

I've never understood how the woods keep things so shallow, but they do :icon_scratch:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Stunning coin :notworthy:

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone! Yeah you can imagine my shock and the ensuing exclamations I uttered. I was figuring it was a quarter from the 1940s dropped by a hiker or something.

CRUSADER said:
Good looking coin.

I've never understood how the woods keep things so shallow, but they do :icon_scratch:

Crusader, my particular theory here is recent soil erosion. This was a sloping hillside, and there was some major flooding during the recent hurricane. That could account for a couple less inches of depth...

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Oh WOW...That's a stunning pistareen!! :headbang: :hello2: Congrats! Now I have to go wipe the drool of my chin :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bmanley99 said:
Thanks everyone! Yeah you can imagine my shock and the ensuing exclamations I uttered. I was figuring it was a quarter from the 1940s dropped by a hiker or something.

CRUSADER said:
Good looking coin.

Crusader, my particular theory here is recent soil erosion. This was a sloping hillside, and there was some major flooding during the recent hurricane. That could account for a couple less inches of depth...
Had 100 year items under the leaf litter on flat ground :dontknow: I could only think of replanting activity

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
bmanley99 said:

CRUSADER said:
Good looking coin.

Had 100 year items under the leaf litter on flat ground :dontknow:

I've had the same! Leaves are our friends. :icon_thumright:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

My first thought when I read the post this morning about the shallow depth of the coin, was that it was found on an incline or a hillside. Brendan and I then spoke by phone earlier in the day, and I asked him was it found on a incline and he said it was. It's gotta be that recent rain and soil erosion brought the coin closer to the surface.

U

umrgolf

Wow Louis I 1year issue :o Very nice, wonder if Phillip V fell from power :icon_scratch: I've seen earlier and later dates with Phillip V, gonna have to google this one for sure :laughing9:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Great coin!

I'm not surprised at the depth. As stated elsewhere, soils grow at the rate of about 1 inch per 200 years in most of the United States. 1.5 Inches sound just about right to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread