First Park Hunting Experiences

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
I've been hunting private property for the last few months and decided to give a park near my old hometown a try. Here are the results of 3 times hunting. I was very suprised to actually find silver, not to mention a 1916. Guess there is still some silver to find.

Attachments

• park finds.jpg
    park finds.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 566
  • Mercs.jpg
    Mercs.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 576
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice,

Old parks are great places to coin shoot.

HH Jer

A

AndyR1961

Great find, i'll echo Dave they dont like us digging up parks in england.
All the best guys
Andy

OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask if there was a D on the otherside. I found it right by a playset and about 5" deep, couldn't believe it hadn't been found by now. My little boy was with me and I told him, don't touch it until we see the otherside....lol. Unfortunately, no D...pretty worn but can't see one, but a good find none the less.

S

sounder

Nice pile of coins stranger!!

Especially nice were the silver ones. Silver is alway good.

Happy Hunting.

sounder

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey now these are very impressive indeed!

Welcome to the forum and please don't be a stranger...ah..well, you know what I mean.

Badger

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI HO SILVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 268
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 277

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I still somehow pull an oldie out of those old parks from time to time. I know a park where I was digging walkers, barber halves and quarters, mercs, wheats and buffaloes etc.. I hunted 8 hours one day and the next day I was there for an hour and was told to leave. I was talking about this site with a fellow detectorist a couple years later and he convinced me to go back. No sooner than our coils hit the ground he has a 1908-O barber quarter and I've got a walker ;D. I fill my hole and right away have that familiar silver dime reading and Dohh!! there's the same Ranger that threw me out last time :-[. He wouldn't even let me dig my last signal :( That's been three years ago or more. All they do is tell you they don't allow it and I checked with the state, it's not illegal, but it is up to the 'head Ranger to give permission or not. He says No. Question, should I go back again? ::)

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
Is there a board or a city council subcommitee that oversees that park and others? Maybe you could go before them.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
State park run by Depatment of Natural Resources, they say it's legal on the sand beaches and up to each individual Park Ranger head hauncho-type to say yes or no to rest of the park. We stopped into see him. I tried using the Jedi approach and told him, "You will let us detect here, we're doing no harm". Didn't work. Paul trys the "Explain it in simple terms" routine. It didn't work. The guy has no smile reflexes and gives us the arch'y speach. >:(

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Got ran out of my favorite park yesterday evening cop said they wouldnt even let him hunt it. Came home and sent off an email to the grounds manager at that park and told him I hunt there alot and that I am very respectful of the park and went on to say how many pulltabs,cigarette butts,bottle caps,pop bottles, aluminum foil,and various other kinds of trash I have picked up in the area. Told him to think of me as a free employee with a metal detector,and that he would be doing the park a great disservice by running me off. Guy wrote me back first thing this morning and gave me written permission to hunt his park whenever I like and thanks for picking up the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread