Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Latest Colonial Bonanza..Coppers and Reale's

I met up with my buddy Ken Whitley this week to search what are now thinking was an old stage coach stop in Virginia. Included are our combined finds.

Attachments

• button farm pics 2011-10-24 001.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-24 001.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Farthing front.JPG
    Farthing front.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Farthing 2.JPG
    Farthing 2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • button farm pics 2011-10-25 001.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-25 001.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,157
  • button farm pics 2011-10-24 005.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-24 005.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,163
  • button farm pics 2011-10-24 004.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-24 004.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,133
  • button farm pics 2011-10-24 003.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-24 003.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 1,130
  • button farm pics 2011-10-24 002.JPG
    button farm pics 2011-10-24 002.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Reale 1.JPG
    Reale 1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • unknown 1.JPG
    unknown 1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,168
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Latest Colonial Bonanza..Coppers and Reale's

Mike, a great variety of finds, which makes the hunt even more successful.

(as far a the KG being a counterfeit, that is easy, only ever seen one confirmed Regal posted on TNet, so odds are they are almost always a counterfeit, but we look for the unu$ual counterfeit, just ask Hogge. ;D )
Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:

(as far a the KG being a counterfeit, that is easy, only ever seen one confirmed Regal posted on TNet, so odds are they are almost always a counterfeit, but we look for the unu$ual counterfeit, just ask Hogge. ;D )
Don

I believe what you're say but don't understand the logic. Most (unlike Hogge's coin) would British made counterfeits which were brought over so why would the numbers ratio be different than anywhere else? If you detect in Britain or Canada you find genuine issues, and just makes no sense why it would be different there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
So can you explain what to look for to identify authentic, Vs. Counterfeits please?

Counterfeits are either cast, or made with different dies so they do not match the genuine issues. Many are very close so tend to be overlooked when posted. Once you look at them enough and get the experience some will stick in your brain and that is the case with your coin because I knew exactly which it was as soon as I seen the bust.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

That looks like a great days detecting to me, lots of finds, counterfeit and Silver to boot :icon_thumleft:

SS

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

I believe what you're say but don't understand the logic. Most (unlike Hogge's coin) would British made counterfeits which were brought over so why would the numbers ratio be different than anywhere else? If you detect in Britain or Canada you find genuine issues, and just makes no sense why it would be different there.

IP, fact and written information backs what I say, reason more Regals stayed in Britian can be explained by reason four below.

First. the lack of KGIII Regals being found and posted by detectorists on all the forums. ( Have seen only 1 confirmed (by Byron) posted in many years of several forums participation)

Second, I personally did a survey of over 100 ground found KGIII Halfpence (talking about KGIII only!!!) and NONE were Regal, found in the States. ( KGIII found by Wayne, myself and my son)

Third, in the book Forgotten Coins of North America, makes a statement that 80-90% of ALL coppers circulating in the Colonies were counterfeits, and I am talking about KGIII coppers only, they talk about ALL.

Fourth, Strict British laws on counterfeiting at the time the KGIII coppers were out, caused the British counterfeiters to ship them to the colonies, where they were used in abundance and not against the law. Thus less KGIII counterfeits circulated in England than in the colonies.

I am sure there is other literature on the subject, but since most collectors/writers dealt with coppers that in some cases hardly circulated and than sat in cigar boxes :) whereas detectorists are finding what circulated in the Colonies, and by the numbers I have seen KGIII Regal Coppers are a rare find in the Colonies and I suspect also Canada, but not sure of the northland finds.

Now, I personally,know of no KGI counterfeits, but never really looked into it and I do not believe there has been a study of ground found KGII coppers, just what the collectors state, about 40% are counterfeit and most all cast I believe. William III has many known cast counterfeits, but KGIII Halfpence counterfeits were the main copper coinage used in North America, especially in the states.

Don

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always terrific finds, Mike! :icon_pirat: And you did great on Relic Roundup! :hello:

Nana

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice! Either way, they are still "reale" enough for me! Thanks for the exellent post! Keep it Up! J.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

IP, fact and written information backs what I say, reason more Regals stayed in Britian can be explained by reason four below.

First. the lack of KGIII Regals being found and posted by detectorists on all the forums. ( Have seen only 1 confirmed (by Byron) posted in many years of several forums participation)

Second, I personally did a survey of over 100 ground found KGIII Halfpence (talking about KGIII only!!!) and NONE were Regal, found in the States. ( KGIII found by Wayne, myself and my son)

Third, in the book Forgotten Coins of North America, makes a statement that 80-90% of ALL coppers circulating in the Colonies were counterfeits, and I am talking about KGIII coppers only, they talk about ALL.

Fourth, Strict British laws on counterfeiting at the time the KGIII coppers were out, caused the British counterfeiters to ship them to the colonies, where they were used in abundance and not against the law. Thus less KGIII counterfeits circulated in England than in the colonies.

I am sure there is other literature on the subject, but since most collectors/writers dealt with coppers that in some cases hardly circulated and than sat in cigar boxes :) whereas detectorists are finding what circulated in the Colonies, and by the numbers I have seen KGIII Regal Coppers are a rare find in the Colonies and I suspect also Canada, but not sure of the northland finds.

Now, I personally,know of no KGI counterfeits, but never really looked into it and I do not believe there has been a study of ground found KGII coppers, just what the collectors state, about 40% are counterfeit and most all cast I believe. William III has many known cast counterfeits, but KGIII Halfpence counterfeits were the main copper coinage used in North America, especially in the states.

Don

What has been found and researched does not answer my question, but the Brits. being inclined to ship them over does, and I was wondering if that would be included in your answer. I wasn't aware we were only talking George III, but now I know. Obviously there would have been a lot of George II in circulation too at the time. As for finding regals here I figure some are but they could also just be very close counterfeits, but thinking a little more what might be different is that we had the British actually carry them over and settle, and they did that for many years. So that would probably increase the amount of regals, at least towards the end of the Colonial period or shortly there after.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike, looks like a nice site with a good mix of late 18th and early 19th century relics and coins. You guys should have a lot more fun as you clean it out.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

My kind of site Mikey boy :headbang:

Looks like an early one :icon_thumleft: