I cannot believe it, got home and...... another one! Gold Tremissis !

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went back to the area where I found the Tremissis from Dorestad. I was planning on searching the field next to it if the corn was off. Turning off a main road onto a very small village road I saw my farmer, he was seeding another field with grass seed. He stopped and I got out and went to him, giving him a sack with a couple cabbages (they are really great) that I received from yet another farmer, he gave me a sack with about 30 of them, and it almost broke my back getting them into the car.

Well anyway, asked him who owned the land next to the Tremissis field and he told me, Oh Yea I know him, I searched another field further up the road back in the spring which he owned (found nothing but bad old copper coins). So turned around and went back a few miles to his farm, he was not home and I could not find him, so was writing him a note when he appeared. No problem about searching, so I drove back to the field. I forgot my camera again, but going back tomorrow and will add a couple. So started searching yesterday and although I found a few coins but not much more until I got a beep and out popped a neat silver button, an old one.

So today decided to return, if a neat silver button is there I should find more. And I did, a few copper coins and other stuff. While digging that stuff out I found a small coin, I thought it was a silver 10 cent piece from the 20th century, they were tiny. So put it in a separate bag and when I got home dumped everything in the water, and opened up the bag to clean the coin. I was shocked, ANOTHER Tremissis!! Amazed at this I called my wife to look (I think I thought I was seeing things!) and she agreed. ANOTHER...

So took some photos, which I will share with you. I have not cleaned the coin, and I don't think I will. Maybe have it professionally cleaned, its just too valuable. I have seen some of the prices for these coins and they are high, and I don't want to mess the coin up, although you cannot mess up gold very easy.

This was an unique experience, I don't think I will ever be able to do this again, just finding one is a find of your life, but two.... (PS: I only have one life).

Attachments

• First Day finds.JPG
    First Day finds.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,294
  • First Day button.jpg
    First Day button.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,219
  • 2nd Tremissis.jpg
    2nd Tremissis.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4,335
  • Both Tremisises.jpg
    Both Tremisises.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 4,408
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Wow Earl :o the second coin is very high quality, and will command a very high price :notworthy: If this does not make the Banner....well then this is not a Treasure Net Forum..stunning find...again :headbang:

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Wow again Earl :o :notworthy: Lightning does strike twice :laughing7:

Banner!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is the chance of that? One is a bummer, but two is leading to more... I wish You luck!
And my vote is in too...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just crazy, it's right up there on my impossible list, I'm getting on a boat, Shaun come & pick us up we are going on holiday :laughing9:

Goes without saying, that my vote is in 8)

PS. This is a HIGH, HIGH $$$$ Coin :wink:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you, SS, Shaun, Westfront, Tuberale and Cru! To tell you the truth I am still shaking! Never thought I would ever find such a couple of fields, they really both have never been searched I would imagine. And this is yes, impossible. Such rare coins. I am going back tomorrow and find the third. Then there must be a cache someplace.

Cru there was a huge farm right between both of the fields. That should explain the well in the field for drinking water. They were always in back of the farm, and this one is too. I though the bricks were not so old. Funny that I don't find anything from the farm.

More tomorrow I hope...

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
That is just crazy, it's right up there on my impossible list, I'm getting on a boat, Shaun come & pick us up we are going on holiday :laughing9:

Give me an hour :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

Give me an hour :icon_thumleft:
I can't wait that long...
I'll met you in 40 minutes, I'm sticking my trainers on & running in your direction :D

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
BANNER BANNER BANNER BANNER BANNER BANNER BANNER !!!
I vote banner how difficult it is to find a similar coin .... this is more than difficult, it is impossible for me ,even though the Visigoths only gold coins issued but not here .... and I not found any yet.
Congratulations! :notworthy:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also voted "BANNER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrat's on a superb "double" find!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the gold coin!! I like the button too! We all know how hard it is to make the banner for a find from other countries because those here do not know the scarcity of the items! you got my vote!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote in!! :notworthy:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cntrydncr1 said:
congrats on the gold coin!! I like the button too! We all know how hard it is to make the banner for a find from other countries because those here do not know the scarcity of the items! you got my vote!

It's really hard to find one in all Europe.... is one of my dreams.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
:icon_scratch:

I have seen stuff put on the Banner with out hardly any votes going in :icon_scratch: these coins are about as rare as you can find in Europe, to find two....well you do the Maths :o This deserves a Banner place, with out doubt.
Our own English Gold Thrymsas were based on these early coins, Initially, these coins were copies of gold Merovingian (Frankish) types, some of which had found their way to this country through commerce and tribute. The Merovingian kings had struck gold tremisses and small silver coins known as sceats, their designs derived from standard forms of Roman coin. The first coins struck in Anglo-Saxon England were gold coins of a type similar to that of the tremisses. Gold Anglo-Saxon thrymsas and Merovingian tremisses are EXTREMELY RARE.

I think this one is yours Earl :icon_thumleft:, although the spiked hair is not visible on the second coin, it could be hiding under the crud :dontknow: If it isn't there, then it could be a new recording, as I have not seen one with out spiked hair.

'DORESTATE / MAELINVS' Gold Tremissis

Gold, 1.05 grams, 13.66 mm. Circa mid 7th century AD. Obverse: spiked linear hair with pellet ends, bust right with legend DREST[AT] FIT being an abbreviation for DREST[AT] FECIT. Reverse: cross on a single step with legend MAA ELINVS M for the moneyer named Maelinus. The location of the mint is Wijk-bij-Duurstede (Dorestat) in Holland

SS :notworthy:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare finds indeed !! from what i read about near imposable finds, excellent notworthy That has to make BANNER this time thumbsup Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread