Are all the good Metal Detecting spots gone? I dont think so!

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are all the good Metal Detecting spots gone? I don't think so!

I have debated back and forth about posting this story due to it being an old battlefield (some may call it a skirmish) and no one has ever tried to locate it or detect it. The Battle took place between the Mormons and the Ray County Militia in 1838. It didn't last very long but there were about 120 men shooting at each other and then engaged in hand to hand combat. Now I am not going to tell you where this spot is or what this event was called or was a part of but it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The people that own the property where this took place have owned it since 1885. The only way to get to the exact location is to drive through their farm fields and pass thru 3 locked farm gates so I feel pretty comfortable that no one will attempt to detect it without permission and the owners have assured me that they will not allow anyone else on the property.

I have only been out there a couple of times and on my 2nd detecting trip I was able to locate where the Ray County Militia was camped the night before the battle and have the musket balls to prove it. The property is very large (over 300 acres) so I took a couple friends out with me and with their help we recovered about 30 musketballs in about 2 hours. I plan on detecting this spot for a long time to come and then create a display case with all the artifacts that I recover. Every item that is found at this location is from the battle on this one particular day in history and to me that makes every thing I find mean that much more.

Here are some of the items I have found so far.

Attachments

• bcrfinds.jpg
    bcrfinds.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,089
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Are all the good Metal Detecting spots gone?

I wouldn't complain if I found that serpent side plate! Nice one...even just a partial!

eboy1960

Mar 2, 2009
indianapolis indiana
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro/teknetics 6000

good spots are still plenty the best goodies are still to be found,

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

they are far from gone.even heavily pounded sites give up the goods.trust me on that statement :thumbsup:
can't wait to see more finds from that site! nice job so far! :headbang:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope there are still many out there, just think outside the box...along with research and some luck you'll do just fine ;D

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear frustrated detectorists all the time telling me the only place they have to detect are the parks. I found this spot while searching for Civil War Battle sites in Missouri. I was surprised to find out about this battle because I have never heard of it before. There is a good chance that guns and swords were dropped during the retreat and they would be a dream find for me.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

It is interesting that the serpent side plate is associated with a battle between non Indians. The research I've done on antique arms, the serpent side plate was used exclusively on Indian Trade muskets, and was not something generally used by the white people. What you have found so far could possibly be from an Indian camp or town. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm jealous of what you have found so far, and would be tickled if I'd had done the same thing. Just trying to cover all the angles.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

OutBack Duo said:
I hear frustrated detectorists all the time telling me the only place they have to detect are the parks. I found this spot while searching for Civil War Battle sites in Missouri. I was surprised to find out about this battle because I have never heard of it before. There is a good chance that guns and swords were dropped during the retreat and they would be a dream find for me.

To each his own, but if parks were all I had to hunt, I'd lay down and cry. :crybaby2:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Are all the good Metal Detecting spots gone? I don't think so!

BosnMate is correct.......musket balls & serpent side plate= fur trade!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have to say no to that question,one of my other hobbies is playing Disc Golf and the one course that I 've been playing at lately has been giving me a few coins from the 1930's,'40's and '50's,also arrow heads and a real nice 925 silver bracelet,also a ton of aluminum cans and also lost discs.
So if you have a Disc golf course in your town,try going out there one early week day morning. :dontknow:

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a very large piece of property, the sideplate was found about 1/4 mile from where the musketballs were found along a river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread