romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spanish Silver and some "what are they" items

Great find! How big is the coin? I can't read the denomination. I can tell you that it was minted in Mexico.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a Lead Bag/bale Seal & an impacted Lead bullet :icon_thumright:

Nice silver, I'm still looking......

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice silver coin. I am looking forward to seeing what it is.
Dman

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The other item appears to be a modern fired bullet.

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2

Hello, The coin is larger than a dime but smaller than a quarter. It is also ~ at thin as dime. Last what is meant by a Modern bullet. Is there a time line, i.e., Civil war to prestent or something like that? It is lead and it has some markings surrounding the entire bullet. It is the same thickness as a 3 ringer.

Thanks for all the help

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That size would be a 1 reale...

The seal looks like an old one too!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

impacted bullet and what looks like a piece of track from a toy train.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound

I am not an expert on harmonicas, but the last photo seems to show slots that reflect the different pitches of a harmonica. Perhaps a top or bottom plate that held the guts together. Nice finds. HH, Ralph

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet silver. thanks for sharing.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I agree with Romeo: 1 real. Also can tell it's a 1R if diameter is 20mm. Another way to differentiate it from a 1/2R is to see 'REX' vs just an 'R' in the legend--after IND.
FF are the initials of the assayer. Silver .9027 fine.
Congrats !!
Don.........

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smilodon; It's A 1 Reale, A Lead Blae seal of the same era a ---

modern bullet and the harmonica is 1920's - 1930's ok. They did not have harmonica's in the 1700's. They had the Bruce, or Juice, harps ok. Value : The 1 Reale in Gd Cond is $40, the Bale seal is $2, The rest is trash ok. If the bullet had teeth marks on it from being bitten by a soldier then it is worth $6 - $19 depending on how well chewed it is. The more chewed the better ok. Nice finds. Get back too be more that field. There's got to be more silver there. Kill the Dic and dig EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2

BARKER said:
modern bullet and the harmonica is 1920's - 1930's ok. They did not have harmonica's in the 1700's. They had the Bruce, or Juice, harps ok. Value : The 1 Reale in Gd Cond is $40, the Bale seal is $2, The rest is trash ok. If the bullet had teeth marks on it from being bitten by a soldier then it is worth $6 - $19 depending on how well chewed it is. The more chewed the better ok. Nice finds. Get back too be more that field. There's got to be more silver there. Kill the Dic and dig EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

How did you arrive at these dates for the bullet and harmonica? It was confirmed by the museum that this harmonica is from the late 1800S. Why would you call items people found as "trash". What you see as trash others see as history. I collect every item I find including pottery shards to help date the site and give a snapshot back in time of that area. I believe on picking up everything for research purposes and you should never consider what is found as trash based on your assessment of monetary value. All items found are great teaching tools to my children and they have learned much about our history because of this hobby. It can also inform you of what other possible items may be in the area. How do you know the bale seal price? do you know from what time period,place or company? If not you cannot give an accurate value. Why would you give a couple of instruments dating back to the civil war and leave others out? What I have found amazing about this site it the knowledge of its members and ability to identify any item.

Thanks

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i love the harmonica and hte old silver! great hunt man

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smilodon said:
BARKER said:
modern bullet and the harmonica is 1920's - 1930's ok. They did not have harmonica's in the 1700's. They had the Bruce, or Juice, harps ok. Value : The 1 Reale in Gd Cond is $40, the Bale seal is $2, The rest is trash ok. If the bullet had teeth marks on it from being bitten by a soldier then it is worth $6 - $19 depending on how well chewed it is. The more chewed the better ok. Nice finds. Get back too be more that field. There's got to be more silver there. Kill the Disc. and dig EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

How did you arrive at these dates for the bullet and harmonica? It was confirmed by the museum that this harmonica is from the late 1800S. Why would you call items people found as "trash". What you see as trash others see as history. I collect every item I find including pottery shards to help date the site and give a snapshot back in time of that area. I believe on picking up everything for research purposes and you should never consider what is found as trash based on your assessment of monetary value. All items found are great teaching tools to my children and they have learned much about our history because of this hobby. It can also inform you of what other possible items may be in the area. How do you know the bale seal price? do you know from what time period,place or company? If not you cannot give an accurate value. Why would you give a couple of instruments dating back to the civil war and leave others out? What I have found amazing about this site it the knowledge of its members and ability to identify any item.

Thanks

Hi Smilodon; It is fairly simple. I have been detecting for ---
39 years in the Boston Region. I have been over 2/3rds of the World doing it. Here in Mass I have acquired a great deal of knowledge regarding these items although yep, I can be wrong. I replied to your Post with the best of intentions and imparted what I believe to be true based on my own knowledge. The price on the Bale Seal is about $2. I have found 100's of them even from the 1600's and their monetary values are almost always the same unless they are very ornate or are DIRECTLY attributed to a very famous entity. The bullet is worth nothing except scrap. Yes they had harmonica's in the 1800's not the 1700's. I dated the harmonica based on 2 things. the age of the bullet and the style of the harmonica. Now, although I stated rough monetary values for the items listed you are right in that their educational value is priceless and I'm glad your kids are learning their history. I am always in support of those endeavours ok. Have a great day. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER said:
Smilodon said:
BARKER said:
modern bullet and the harmonica is 1920's - 1930's ok. They did not have harmonica's in the 1700's. They had the Bruce, or Juice, harps ok. Value : The 1 Reale in Gd Cond is $40, the Bale seal is $2, The rest is trash ok. If the bullet had teeth marks on it from being bitten by a soldier then it is worth $6 - $19 depending on how well chewed it is. The more chewed the better ok. Nice finds. Get back too be more that field. There's got to be more silver there. Kill the Disc. and dig EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

Thanks

Hi Smilodon; It is fairly simple. I have been detecting for ---
39 years in the Boston Region. I have been over 2/3rds of the World doing it. Here in Mass I have acquired a great deal of knowledge regarding these items although yep, I can be wrong. I replied to your Post with the best of intentions and imparted what I believe to be true based on my own knowledge. The price on the Bale Seal is about $2. I have found 100's of them even from the 1600's and their monetary values are almost always the same unless they are very ornate or are DIRECTLY attributed to a very famous entity. The bullet is worth nothing except scrap. Yes they had harmonica's in the 1800's not the 1700's. I dated the harmonica based on 2 things. the age of the bullet and the style of the harmonica. Now, although I stated rough monetary values for the items listed you are right in that their educational value is priceless and I'm glad your kids are learning their history. I am always in support of those endeavours ok. Have a great day. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:
We need you in the 'What Is It' Forum, if this is true.
Maybe I can learn, I've never heard of a 1600s Bale/bag seal. Maybe your thinking of Cloth Seals which do pre-date the 18th C. If you have or know about a picture of a 1600s Bale Seal I would love to see it?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crusader; I Can not post pics right now as I ----

do not have a camera at present. I just got out of the hospital after having severe Spinal Surgery. I'm still trying to regroup here but I will be glad to help. My only thing is that they realize Im trying to help, not hurt, and I'm not open to being sniped at not that anyone has ok. Yes I do have an extensive amount of experience and wiling to share it ok. I have to do some errands now but will be back on in a while ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hi Crusader; I Can not post pics right now as I ----

BARKER said:
do not have a camera at present. I just got out of the hospital after having severe Spinal Surgery. I'm still trying to regroup here but I will be glad to help. My only thing is that they realize Im trying to help, not hurt, and I'm not open to being sniped at not that anyone has ok. Yes I do have an extensive amount of experience and wiling to share it ok. I have to do some errands now but will be back on in a while ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:
You avoided the question, I really do wish to know if you know of any 1600s bag/bale Seals it would increase my knowledge, country of origin would be useful as well.

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2

Hello, the "bullet" dried out and realized it is completely hollow. It seems to have some debris in it, could it be a stopper or lid to something? Thanks for the link on the bale seals, really cool site and hope to find more. I hope to track down the origin of that particular seal.

Thanks for all the help

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smilodon said:
Hello, the "bullet" dried out and realized it is completely hollow. It seems to have some debris in it, could it be a stopper or lid to something? Thanks for the link on the bale seals, really cool site and hope to find more. I hope to track down the origin of that particular seal.

Thanks for all the help
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/sh...page=40&sort=2&stype=&limit=&cat=all&ppuser=0
I didn't check the 4 pages, but have a go at matching it, although its a long shot, as not that many recorded compared to the number of types.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread