Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, as most of you know ,i live in an old gold mining town and for years been looking for gold.When we where young ,we use to go SPECKING  for gold after the rain and sometimes would find small specks of gold washed out by the rain.Once you have done this a few times, you get an eye of seeing gold on the ground ,glittering in the sun.Well the other day went for a walk to the post box and i saw this glitter on the ground and thought heres a piece of gold for sure.After picking it up i soon knew it was not gold as the luster was not quite as bright as gold.How unlucky :( :( :( It was a piece of IRON PYRITE  [FOOLS-GOLD] .I FELT LIKE A FOOL and i suppose that why iron pyrite got the other nick name. ;) ;) ;)

tinpan

Attachments

• fools-gold001.jpg
    fools-gold001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 659
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tinpan, how much gold have you found over the years?

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi tsgman, not enough to start a gold rush and not enough to post in best finds.just a few small pieces every now and again.I mit get lucky and find a nugget one day. :) :) :)

tinpan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TP, amazing you haven't found any nuggets! There is a gold town about 20 mins from my house, have detected and panned there a few hours but haven't found any gold so far. Some of the town is historical as the mines go back to the 1400s, there are a few houses built right on top of tailing piles. Most of the gold that was found here is embedded in hard granite rock, the mines are as small as a 2'X3' hole that goes deep. HH, Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Do I have to come over there and show you how to hunt gold? Geez..
I find alot of that fools gold ...now if I could just find a fool buyer I would have it made! ;)

R

rvbvetter

Dang!! I had to check this thread out to see what gold it was that I found. Now I find, that I didn't even find gold. Faked me out again. Sheesh!!
Actually I'm one of the best known gold hunters in california. If you want the best gold finders in california, then you'll have too talk to the other guys. HH

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
rvbvetter said:
Dang!! I had to check this thread out to see what gold it was that I found. Now I find, that I didn't even find gold. Faked me out again. Sheesh!!
Actually I'm one of the best known gold hunters in california. If you want the best gold finders in california, then you'll have too talk to the other guys. HH

Well, you can't find it if you don't hunt it. Persistance usually pays off. That rock doesn't look like quartz, were you hunting a quartz vien or what?

S

stefen

Reminds me of an one of the first "Old House On The Prairie" shows where the kids thought that they found gold in a local streambed and finally had a pile as tall as they were....turns out that they has amassed about a ton of fools gold.

Your not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Same thing happen to me ! I still have it around here somewhere ! LOL ! It was in a creek bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread