I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.

Attachments

• 1916 d obv..jpg
    1916 d obv..jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7,944
  • 1916 d rev..jpg
    1916 d rev..jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 7,902
  • 111311 013.jpg
    111311 013.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 7,763
Upvote 0

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
I vote Banner on this one!
I've hunted with BK since the mid seventies, and one of his goals was to complete his Merc dime collection with dug finds, which he has now done. He's a great hunter and finding one of the rarest coins out there deserves the banner for sure! Four 16-D's have been found by our club members now, with one member finding two. This one is the best of the lot for condition...easily a $2000+ coin!

Knipper

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very beautiful dime! I am voting banner on this one as well :notworthy:

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
simply amazing! so glad you were able to not only complete the collection but with a beauty of a coin as well!!

neil

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man she is a bute!!!! BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on completing the collection. Also what a way to finish it up with such a beautiful coin. Congrats on the Banner. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Looks good on the banner it's in great shape, congrats on the find :icon_thumright:

dasho

Jul 19, 2010
MO
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS & E-Trac & Sun Ray Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cool! Look at the shape that thing is in! Wow!

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Awesome find... Congratulations on completing the set... That had to be a wonderful feeling to finally dig that one, especially since it's in amazing shape...

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
captainfwiffo said:
Easily XF. The most recent auctions on Heritage for '16-D dimes in XF40 went for over $5k.

uugghh....OK, I'll be the jerk :o .......first of all, simply fantastic find, one we all dream about!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:........unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.

I sure wish EVERYONE who uncovers silver would handle it like dynamite until they get home in order to rinse it gently until they know what they have.

HH all!

Greg

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I for one know exactly how you feel since I dug a 1916-D in august this year! bigtime congrats, are you sending it in the be slabbed? can we see a closeup clean pic without the dirt? Sure hope those aren't scratches on it....ughhh they might mark it cleaned.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on your well deserved BANNER find!!! :hello2: :thumbsup:
-MM-

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.
I agree with this, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. It will probably get a scarlet letter of some kind if submitted to a TPG.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
captainfwiffo said:
1235CE said:
unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.
I agree with this, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. It will probably get a scarlet letter of some kind if submitted to a TPG.

Still a great find on one of the most over-rated "rarities" in american numismatics!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: I found my 1922 no D wheat penny in March,but this one still eludes me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread