I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.

Attachments

• 1916 d obv..jpg
    1916 d obv..jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7,944
  • 1916 d rev..jpg
    1916 d rev..jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 7,902
  • 111311 013.jpg
    111311 013.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 7,763
Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET! Nothing like bending over and picking up oh lets say $3000! :hello2:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The 16-d does seem to be a banner find, but I am really impressed with your complete collection! Now, that is a banner I will vote for. I found the number 2 Merc (21-D) but it wasn't near as nice as your 16D. Just for the heck of it, will you show a photo of your 21D? And do you know how long ago your found it?

To show you how amazing your completion is, we couldn't even complete a collection in the mid 60's when they were common in circulation. At one point, my dad took a part time job counting bus company change. He started by pulling out all the mercs, then went to just the old ones, and in a couple of months had so many, he only collected 45 micro S. But never a 16D. Well done to you.

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies and votes for the banner. I feel that almost any dug up key date coin deserves a little extra attention.
After washing off the dirt I could see the telltale hairlines. When the coin came out of the ground it was encased in a ball of hard dirt which, when busted open, probably caused the scratches. If you looked at any of my 1916 no D dimes you would probably see a lot of rubs where a D should have been. :laughing7:
As requested by a few T-neters I am posting pics of the dime after "washing" off the dirt.
I am also posting some of the other better dates that were dug over the years and put into the collection.
I have the other dates recorded as to when they were found but none of them were recent. Some of these coins will probably show some toning because they have been is a safe deposit box for 25 years or more.

Attachments

• 1916 D OBV.jpg
    1916 D OBV.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 6,207
  • 1916 D REV.jpg
    1916 D REV.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 6,304
  • 1921 D OBV.jpg
    1921 D OBV.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 6,238
  • 1921 D REV.jpg
    1921 D REV.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 6,317
  • 1921 P OBV.jpg
    1921 P OBV.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6,261
  • 1921 P REV.jpg
    1921 P REV.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6,219

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !!! great find!

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
uugghh....OK, I'll be the jerk .......first of all, simply fantastic find, one we all dream about!! ........unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.

I knew no one would be able to resist. I keep forgetting we're all in this for the money! :)

Hey, great find man, and major congrats in detecting the complete collection; that's an amazing feat!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a rare beauty :o
Congrats!
Looking forward to seeing you finish with your Seated collection :wink:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
staydetuned said:
uugghh....OK, I'll be the jerk .......first of all, simply fantastic find, one we all dream about!! ........unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.

I knew no one would be able to resist. I keep forgetting we're all in this for the money! :)

Hey, great find man, and major congrats in detecting the complete collection; that's an amazing feat!

You know this kind of thing happens to us all in this business...
years ago digging around a Library built in the 80's on a College campus, I got a real high signal on my
Fisher CZ 6, knowing it was a coin, and that I was near a recently built building (Campus dated to 1800) I used a screwdriver to locate what I thought would be a clad coin......
But when it came out of the ground, there in my hands was a Seated Liberty Quarter, with the biggest
trench dug right across the front.....

Another coin I got was a 1843 half dime in a church yard... I thought it was play money when I dug it, as I had never seen one before.....
so after rubbing the dirt off, and discovering what I had, I now see the fine scratches from where I cleaned the dirt off......

But since we all have done this to some of our best finds....
Isn't it better to appreciate the fact that these are in our possesions and not in someone Else's ?
and even if we did bu-bu something, we are SO happy we have these things instead of someone else ?

Great find......
I've found many things but not one of these in 30 years...
congratulations.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot to congratulate you for - finding a 1916D Merc (Awesome), completeing Merc dime collection with a metal detector (amazing), and of course Making the Banner at Treasurenet ( :notworthy:) ... GREAT JOB!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice coin ...congrats for the banner ! :thumbsup:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Your 21D is stinking gorgeous also. What a great pair! Your other 21 is what my 21d looks like. But, we take what we can get.
Shoot the whole book when you get a chance. But now you are in a bad spot--when you are number one there's no place to go but down. Unless, of course, you set your sights on a SLQ complete dug set. Can you make that commitment?

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High Plains Digger said:
Your 21D is stinking gorgeous also. What a great pair! Your other 21 is what my 21d looks like. But, we take what we can get.
Shoot the whole book when you get a chance. But now you are in a bad spot--when you are number one there's no place to go but down. Unless, of course, you set your sights on a SLQ complete dug set. Can you make that commitment?

Thanks for the complements. Actually I am only 3 or 4 coins short for a complete set of dug Barber dimes. I found 2 1903-s dimes in exactly the same condition (Fine). I know for sure that I need the 1901-s, and the 1895-O, and I think 2 other s mint coins. I have the 1894-O, and 1896-O.
I found all the silver Roosevelt dimes a long time ago.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,congrats on finding the MERC! Outstanding!!.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible accomplishment! You must be a dime magnet. Unreal 1916-d dime, one we all have wanted to find. Congratulations, HH

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on such a Banner Find, that's an awesome accomplishment! How do you expect to top that? ;D I'm sure you must have thought about finding that 16D many, many times. That just goes to show you that The Secret in getting what you want is Positive Thinking. I just found my 1st Merc, a 1917 just a day ago...I am so envious. Thanks for posting it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread