New MXTPro Goes Deep for Ancient Japanese Coppers

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Its been two years since I had anything post-worthy so this may be a little breathy,...
I got my new MXTPro on Monday.
she is paying off already. I work a second shift type schedule so i took the new little Baby out to three nearby parks on tuesday and wednesday.
Both days I saw how deep she goes. A couple of oldish (1950's) japanese coins at 7-8 inches. and a pull tab at a full ten inches. (what is that doing down there? What these people do with their dirt...thats another topic)
I was surprised though that the mineralization of our dirt here was not as severe as I had imagined (40's).
This morning (thursday in Japan) was my day to hit the nearby woods. No old foundations or mills in these woods, just the rare meadow here and there...
96% of all the woodland is on a severe grade. I have a site though that is inaccessible enough that there is little to no trash, yet near my house. I was surprised that the ground readings were much higher in the woods (60-70). But I could still run my gain full bore and that is why i bought this machine. DEPTH!!!! My FIRST target in the woods rang hard. +70..and displayed at about 9 inches...only a few meters from where I had dug two musket balls with my ace250 last year.
There was three inches of humus on the forrest floor, then about 7 inches of soil, then hit the hard dry clay stuff down deep. These two old copper coins were a good two inches down into that. So overall, 10 inches not including the humus up top. wow. Im impressed.;.
Thank you to the new pinpointer too for helping me recover these without damage. Now its getting fun.
The two coins are fused and in need of preservation. I have a book that lists all of these but they range from the year 1000-1863. I'll need to do some preservation before i can positively i. d. them....I need a time/date reference.
any advise on preservation would be greatly appreciated. They are copper I think, but may be bronze. I have not touched them yet. Can I seperate these in this shape????
This was supposed to be a practice site...The heavy duty high hope sites will come after next week end as we have rain in the forecast here friday, saturday and sunday....bummer
but!
more to come..Love the MXT.
thanks!!!
dave j.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSC_0287 (1).jpg
    DSC_0287 (1).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,116
Upvote 0

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New MXTPro Goes Deep for Ancient Coppers

Sounds like the new one is working well for you! That sucker was deeeeeep.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can soak them and they will come apart,I have done it several times.I would caution against dating any site to the dates of these coins however.......our most commonly dug Asian coins here pre date our habitation by several hundred years

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

kuger said:
You can soak them and they will come apart,I have done it several times.I would caution against dating any site to the dates of these coins however.......our most commonly dug Asian coins here pre date our habitation by several hundred years
Thanks Kuger,
Soak 'em in...?
what do you use?
I am IN Asia. Nara Japan. Actually if I could date those coins it would give me a real good reference. There were some serious battles in this area back around 1750's...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used water and even vinegar,lemon works too,it depends on the content of the coin though.Some of ours almost look like pewter and water or liquid will destroy them,others are bronze ,or brass and are quite hardy,as yours appear to be.You may be able to just gently pry them apart and use a soft toothbrush and dry brush them too.....the dust that stays in the recessed parts seem to add nice contrast to the characters :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread