Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, fellow Tnetters!

Well, went back to the old sports field where I found the little silver ring earlier this week. I had also found a 1940s wheat last time. I wanted to hunt this depression where some kind of structure was. Immediately got a penny signal about 8-10 inches down. Out pops an older variety Winchester shell. That got the blood going. Unfortunately most of that area was so saturated, I couldn't dig. But, now I know there are some good signals in that area.

So, I head to higher ground, near some old houses. This is the same area where I found the small, silver ring. Quickly got another 1940s wheatie. Man, was that thing deep! I was doing my last grid line for the day when I hit a screaming quarter ranged VDI. It was a little low, which perplexed me, but it rang about 4 inches. Totally thinking modern quarter, maybe on edge or something. But the pinpoint was really drastic - and round. So, I started digging and was looking around for a quarter. Saw something that looked kinda like a half dollar. It wasn't until I picked it up, and saw how thick it was, that I got really excited. I was thinking, "no freakin way I just found my 3rd largie." Yep, holed 1848. Happy dance!

Attachments

• IMG00172-20111117-1507.jpg
    IMG00172-20111117-1507.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,204
Upvote 0

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I've only found three largies and two of them were holed. I really wish they wouldn't have done that to so many of the coins back then. ???

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
In spite of the hole .. or maybe because of it .. That is a beauty! Nice find!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The hole lets you know it had a more adventurous life than without the hole--nice find!

All the best,

Lanny

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Magnet said:
. Totally thinking modern quarter, maybe on edge or something. But the pinpoint was really drastic - and round. So, I started digging and was looking around for a quarter. Saw something that looked kinda like a half dollar. It wasn't until I picked it up, and saw how thick it was, that I got really excited. I was thinking, "no freakin way I just found my 3rd largie."

Yes, it's always the "one's" you assume are something else, then it really IS something else.

Nice finds.

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex
Great find, pretty good shape too!! Congrats on your 3rd L.C.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
The hole lets you know it had a more adventurous life than without the hole--nice find!

All the best,

Lanny

cntrydncr1 said:
neat to find them with holes I think. congrats

I agree. To me the coins found with holes have a lot more meaning as to how much it meant to some poor soul back then. :thumbsup: One of my oldest and most meaningful coins was an 1833 Capped Bust Halfdime.
Great find.
Congrats,
MM

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. I always love finding large cents. Although Maryland soil is not kind to copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread