Theres always something left

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Some things are good somethings not so good. We went south today to do some detecting. first couple of spots we picked up some clad and some junk jewelry. At the the third spot though we immediately noticed something we never like seeing. Someone had been there detecting and left dug areas that look like they were trying to dig foxholes. these areas were literally a good 2 foot plus in diameter, with trash strewn beside the areas. We gave it a toss though and we did find couple of dollars of clad and Bobbie found the 14k earring on the left. We headed west from there and continued adding to our clad collection and I found the 10k earring on the right.
We ended the day with about $17.00 between us, the 2 gold earrings and bobbie got a 53 wheat also to round out the day.
I am always concerned when we come across these type of diggings, as they are what causes places to be put off limits for us detectorists. We all need to follow the the rules of trying to leave the areas as undisturbed looking as possible. Congrats to all the great finds
hh
dave+bobbie

Attachments

• DSCF1022.JPG
    DSCF1022.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 579
  • DSCF1023.JPG
    DSCF1023.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 579
Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know those a$$holes that never fill in there holes give us other detectorist bad reputations.
nice finds

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I got chased out of a County Park here in New Jersey a couple weeks ago by the police, he said no metal detecting allowed! I've also had police officers drive by me while I was detecting IN COUNTY PARKS and they look at me, some wave and smile and just keep driving and don't say a word. Well I finally got around to asking a county police officer today AND a parks dept. worker what the deal is. Both said that if I wasn't bothering anyone and I was filling my holes they would let me do it BUT don't be surprised if some officers do throw you out. And the reason.....TOO MANY PEOPLE LEFT BIG HOLES UNFILLED!!!!

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I too get upset when I see the holes left behind by others. I go behind them filling in their holes. I usally find things they missed too. It only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us. Ted

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Dave....Bobbie
Great finding at least a little gold.Nice pile of spendable too!
Sorry about the slob hunter.....Joe

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D&E,

nice finds for the day.

Just hate filling in someones holes >:(

Your right on with restrictions on MDing.

Go in, pull up your finds, leave it better than
when you got there.

have a good un............

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my holes arent that pretty but i cover them up the best i can depending on the site

good deal havent got gold in a few weeks and silver for that matter

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds D&B and congrats on the gold! HH, Mike

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in an area where there are very few detectorists. I never find unfilled holes...except for the ones in my back yard where the crows have pulled up a replaced plug...Dang crows!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job guy's...Too bad about the "foxhole's"....I try and leave my area's like it was my own front yard,guess there will alway's be a few bad apple's....

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sound like a nice clad haul. :) Jewelry a bonus. Or is it the other way around? ;)

I would not be too quick to blame other detectorist for not filling in there holes. Especially this time of year. Skunks and other critters(first I heard of crows) pull out the plug looking for grubs. I have seen this happen to the very holes I dug in a park. Come back a few days later and I am like "What the......" Had to do a little damage control.
Best way to prevent this is to try to dig a "flap" not a complete plug. That way the grass is still attached. This way if the beasts do try to dig up your plug it will be harder and they will not get the plug all the way out.

Mirage

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, you two. Thanks for cleaning up after the slob. We don't need to give "the powers that be" more reason to restrict us. HH Bill

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats on the nice gold.
You too are an inspiration
and I love reading your posts, thanks!

I encountered a similar thing yesterday too.
While I was hunting the last school
I saw three young boys walk past with an ACE250
and a fox hole type shovel. They saw me and went around
to the back of the school and searched there.
When they can back by me I tried to call them over
only to introduce myself and show them my finds
and all the trash I was digging and disposing of,
but they ignored me and kept walking.
When I went around to the back of the school to search,
I was where they had dug, giant holes,
at least one foot accross, left open unfilled,
and the trash they dug sitting next to it too.
I filled them all in and removed their trash of course,
and did have some finds right next to where they dug.
They have a lot to learn, hope they learn it soon.

Best of luck to you both!
BDoo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one good thing about hunting the beaches here, the surf erases my holes after I cover them up. ;D I always cover my holes and any one elses I find while hunting.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, Dave and Bobbie..... I found a couple of my hole open again after filling them... got me thinking ??? It was not as serious for me in the middle of the bush, but if you dont fill in the bush, soon you wont fill in the city. What I do now is carry a pepper pot with me, and after filling the hole, sprinkle some pepper.... ;D ;D ;D ;D that will teach the creatures to dig my holes again.

Can you imagine a crow flying and sneezing at the same time ::)

God bless
Peter

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds guys. Bad about the holes. I can tell you that it was not me!
Mike

midnightguy

May 20, 2006
Upstate NY
Hi, Same thing happened to me when I searched a small area in Centralia PA early this summer. Lots of unfilled plugs and a couple of large holes that looked as though someone was using a pick to dig with. Skunks may have caused some of the plugs to pop out but not the larger holes. Definitely a lazy MD'er .. Good job in fixing the mess. Nice finds. Take Care Midnightguy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread