9/16-17/06 finds

D

doyboy

Hey, guys, I got out 2 times this week. On 9-16-06, Zoyboy, Blitz, and I decided to hit a small playground. This area has produced some old coins for us in the past, so we wanted to try it again. I found 2 Wheaties and a 1901 V-nickel. The nickel was 4" deep.

Today, 9-17, RP and I got out to one of our areas. I had another decent day. I found a 1944 Mercury dime at 4", a 1907 IH at 3", and a "Tag" at 2.5". The "Tag" has a date of 1932 on it. Does anyone know what this is? I also found 5 Wheaties.

I now have 43 Indian Heads for the year!

I'm gunning for you, Bsco! What are you at now?

Attachments

• 9-17.jpg
    9-17.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
Man, what part of the country are you in and what detector are you using, if you dont mind my asking.

Ive found one (1) indian head this year here in missouri, ive found four turn of the century coins (1900barber Quarter, 1902 B dime, 1902 V-nickle, and 1903 IH) and STILL havent broken the century mark, what are the odds of that.

You must have some sweet connections, its hard to find good spots here, the parks are all way "hunted out"

I have a whites 6000 DI/ Pro Plus, it does a pretty decent job. It seems to be the best whites that is Manual instead of digital that I can find.

Im thinking of stepping it up to an MXT or DFX (someday) are these machines That much better than the 6000DI

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds bud!!

I'm currently at 47 Indians on the year. This will be a back and forth battle the rest of the year I think.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lc_102 said:
Man, what part of the country are you in and what detector are you using, if you dont mind my asking.

Ive found one (1) indian head this year here in missouri, ive found four turn of the century coins (1900barber Quarter, 1902 B dime, 1902 V-nickle, and 1903 IH) and STILL havent broken the century mark, what are the odds of that.

You must have some sweet connections, its hard to find good spots here, the parks are all way "hunted out"

I have a whites 6000 DI/ Pro Plus, it does a pretty decent job. It seems to be the best whites that is Manual instead of digital that I can find.

Im thinking of stepping it up to an MXT or DFX (someday) are these machines That much better than the 6000DI

I don't think you know just how lucky you are to be living there in MO. That place is nowhere near hunted out. I dug a king george II half penny there one day and my buddy dug an 1830s half dime. Both of those were dug in a public park.

Your state has lots more history than Indiana and if you start doing the research you should be able to find some sweet spots to detect! :)

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
To Bscofield6

I know missouri has a rich history, and Im happy to have found turn of the century coins so soon in my hobbies career. I know thier are ALOT of ghost towns and mills from the eighteen hundreds in my county. Ive been eyeballing this little kit on Ebay that has maps and acounts of all the towns "past and preasent" since the mid-eighteen hundreds.

I need to head to the downtown library, Im sure I could do some good research thier. Ive just about run my well of places to look dry, especially downtown.

Research is the key, butt the parks in this town have been hunted to death, Im sure thier is still some stuff thier, I dont know if I have the patiance to find it in the park after looking peoples yards. :D

My dad found a seated dime in a park built in 1933, had to have come from fill dirt, but you never know what you will find!

OP
OP
D

doyboy

Bsco, it is going to be a battle! I'm loving my new DD coil. It actually penetrates nicely in depth. I got a Wheatie at 5" and it was a decent signal.

My goal is still 50!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Nice coins , congrats.
What else does the tag say?
It's hard to see any of the detail from the photo.

Smiles!
BDoo

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Lc_102 said:

Research. Old timers. Compare old maps to new maps. I haven't been doing this a long time although I watched my gpa do it for years, and I have found some things out that really, really help in finding old stuff, and some good properties that haven't been touched.
1st pick a village/town/county. Find every book/picture/article/microfilm newspaper you can and just start reading and sifting (Old newspapers contain more than meets the eye but you have to look hard). Take ANY tid bit of information you can...ie "the such and such tavern used to be a meeting lodge for the local masons", "the such and such school used to be here and still stands but is used for something else now", and my personal favorite, "people used to come from miles around to this particular swimming hole", then pick up TWO maps (a current one, and one showing the position of the place name you picked from your research, and then compare them to find your spot). The really sweet spots are those historical gathering places that were torn down over 20-30 years ago, and are now private property. People have forgotten about them. In the Northeast there are tons of old Taverns/Schools/Hotels/Parks/Churches that are now baseball fields, private homes, or town parks, and the beauty is that because they are not places of "historical significance" (battlefields, presidents homes, millionaires estates), most people never knew they existed. You just have to do the leg work and you will find them. A buddy of mine tracked down a hotel built in the late 1700s that was in use until the 1950s. It was torn down shortly after it went out of business and is now a privately owned empty lot. I think besides the town historian we are the only people that know there was a 200 year old hotel on the propery not 50 years ago. When I knocked on the land owners door, he looked at me like "sure but you're not going to find anything"...1 merc, 1 buff, a few wheaties, 2 belt buckles, 2 matching suspender bucles, picture and snuff boxes, brooches, uniform decorations, and buttons have come off the property with three or four days of hunting. Keep at it you will find a good spot that nobody knows about and nobody has even thought of going with a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread