11/22 and 11/23 thrift store finds

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Still on the business trip. Went by myself the 22nd. Found two silver handled place setting knives in the junk silverware stuff at a local thrift store. $0.19 each. No markings. Due to the damage to the handles already I'm turning them in for scrap. Even iff they turn up plate its not much of a loss.

On the 23rd took my friend I have been teaching what to look for. First thrift store found a painting he is going back for today, it is an Adolph Sehring lithograph, selling it for $3, worth about $40-50 on Epay. Wish it was signed and numbered, it would be worth $150+ then. The second thrift store was a high end resale shop. Mostly clothes and jewelry. While looking through the jewelry I found two 14k rings marked Meda, China. One in white gold (a wedding set of band and engagement), the other ring in yellow gold. When I asked about them the lady said they had been bought with all the other silver rings as a resale lot. She was also nice enough to tell me they were fakes and were only gold plated (in her honest opinion as they had been made in China). I looked at the price tag, $10 each. Bought both of them, also bought three sterling bracelets at $9.50-10 each. When I got home and weighed the bracelets, I determined they about broke me even on silver weight. One my daughter will love (the heaviest) so I didn't break even there though. However, it turns out the Meda brand is real gold, the wedding set has CZ stones, the single gold ring's stone appears to be about a 1ct diamond. Gonna take it in this weekend to have the stone checked. The resale value on Epay of the yellow gold ring is about $250, not counting the stone. Gold value on all of the rings is about $350. Not bad for $20. Can't sell the wedding band set, my wife wants to keep them.
Nope, no pictures. Sorry

Upvote 0

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like hunting the thrift stores for treasure too. The stores around here are pretty thorough at pulling the gold and silver before it gets in the stores. Goodwill sells most of it on line now and the stuff they do sell in stores is priced way over spot price. I did find an original oil on board painting by Robert Sarsony. I all most passed it over but on further inspection I decided to purchase it for the exorbitant price of $4.50.

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are waiting in line every morning in my town for Goodwill to open! Too many of us "Vultures"

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Well, the Lithograph was gone when we got back. Also, the unknown stone in the one ring is actually CZ, darn. I gave the wedding band set to the mrs last night so she is happy. I have the other ring up on Craigslist right now. Selling it at spot gold price.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
went back and bought two more 14k rings marked 14kde on the inside, both are about 4 grams each. $10 for one, $12 for the other. Total melt value is about $230. Should have the camera problem solved soon so pictures will be forthcoming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions