Quick 1 hour hunt with ATPro after work

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got off work at 3pm today, drove 15mins to the silver mine and had 45mins left till it got too dark to see. Was working in Pro mode today. Popped 3 pennies, some junkite and a aluminum clip of some sort.

As I crossed the grass trail, I got a weird signal. Listened to it, moved around, listened from two other directions and PP'd it. It was 2" deep.

Okay...must be a modern clad drop. Only thing I find on these trails. One scoop and there it is. Hmm its really dark colored, must be a clad nickel. Into the pouch you go. Sun's going down, so off to home I go.

Later after supper. Cleaning the coins with water. Hmm this is strange, I can't see ANY details on this nickle. I Look at it from different directions...ok it's too thin to be a clad nickel...what the heck is this....???

023A-3.jpg

I inspect it under the magnifying glass. I can't see any details on the front. Lets flip it over.....hmmm is that a V or am I just seeing things??

Ok this HAS to be a V.....Barber dime? NO can't be, it's not silver....better look it up online. Searches for American V coins. BINGO! A V nickel maybe???

Has to be some detail on the front...lets soak it in olive oil for a hour.

021A.jpg
011A.jpg

After a olive oil sauna...Finally a bit of detail on the front side. Still can't make it out. Lets let her soak another hour.

009A-1.jpg

Yep that's a left facing lady and a date under her neck...Can't make it out though. Lets let her soak another hour.

029A-1.jpg

That black dirt seems to be loosening. Lets lightly rub it with a cotton swab with olive oil on it. Man that was black and dirty....but I can see her and the date now!!

That's either 1906 or 1908...DANG IT! Was hoping I had broken the century mark. Oh well still beats my oldest wheat cent, a very pitted 1909. The back isn't getting any better though, better leave it alone.

VNickel.jpg

Here's what one in great condition looks like.

Either way, its my oldest coin so far in Canada and the USA.

Night all! HH!

Upvote 0

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most nickels do tend to turn dark (rot) congrats on your ID, and ?? your oldest ??

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Most nickels do tend to turn dark (rot) congrats on your ID, and ?? your oldest ??

This is my oldest now. Before it was a 1909 Wheat Cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions