RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello fellow TNetters! It's been a while since I last posted, but I've got something good to share!
So cousin Bob and I were out in a pretty new to us field, it was my third time there (his fourth), and we were stealthing. Before we came back to this field, we tried some fields next to the river. They didn't pan out to be much, so we moved. It was getting towards the end of our hunt, we weren't getting too much, some relics here and there. But then I get a solid signal ranging from 83-87, loud tone, unfaltering numbers. Bob hears my detector go off and once told the numbers he comes over to watch. Now, before we had even gotten to the fields a couple hours earlier as we were driving, I made the statement "This is going to be the day," talking about finding my first American large copper. I recalled this quote as i took out the first plug. It was still in the hole, to the left. Bob takes out another shovel full of the mucky soil and drops it down. I checked the plug, its in there, numbers are still consistent. Now, large aluminum is also known to do this, so I had my doubts. But when I spread out the dirt and didn't see anything I got excited. Bob offers to use his pinpointer to find it, but before he does I see it; a circular disk on a clump of soil. I pick it up, and said "I see Stars," (the ones surrounding the bust). At this point Bob is thinking it might be silver. So I flip it over, take a little dirt off the back with my thumb, just enough to see the ALF and NT of HALF CENT. I exclaim, "It's a half cent!" We had celebrations for about a minute, then it comes to trying to see the date. My initial thought was that it was 1801, which would be Draped Bust. I decide to go to one of the many puddles to wash it off, and come up with the date 1808, which I soon realized was 1809 (Triple punched 9 variety). I am really grateful to have found this coin, and this is the third occasion in which I mention a kind of find and one of us finds it. (The other two being Bob's Washington Inaugural button and my first arrow). Weird, and probably just coincidence, but still. Anyways, we hunt for a little bit more, and Bob found an 1880 IHP. After that we leave for home. I still can't believe I found it, still so excited! It is currently soaking in olive oil, which has already brought out detail and evened out the colors (where patina has flaked off from being hit by a plow exposing green.)

New pics! I think I'm gonna leave it in the olive oil for another week then put it in my coins case.

Thanks for looking!

-Anthony

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • HalfCent.jpg
    HalfCent.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 813
  • HalfCent3.jpg
    HalfCent3.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: FOUND: 1809 Half Cent (My First!)

Wow very cool find. Still looking for one of those

Congrats.

:icon_thumleft:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

RelicHunter, That is a COOL find,never found one myself,but,I know how you felt when you did!!!!!!!God Bless HH Chris

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice find looks better than what found, first thought 1796 large cent but it turned to be a 1802 half cent ,never even seen one before, good job keep hitting that Field

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Haha wow I wasn't expecting so many comments so soon! I will definately be getting back to that field, we are hardly 2/3 done with is and already a Connecticut Copper, two half cents, one large cent, a Merc dime, five wheat cents, and several indian head pennies have come out of there. And that doesn't even include what other people have dug!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice half cent. Of the near one hundred coppers I have dug only one of them is a half cent. So there pretty elusive atleast for me.

Oleg_ra9

Greenie
Nov 27, 2011
Russian Federation
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT300, Prizm3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Must be cleaned carefully, we first put the coin in a solution of soap for a week and sometimes more ... and then the chemistry ...

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a superb find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hmm when I said that "Today will be the day" Bob also brought up the Mel Fisher quote. Interesting! Cant wait to get back to this site :D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice 1!! Cohen-5......very common. :headbang: :headbang:

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great looking half cent my man! great job

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

interesting coin....congrats ! :thumbsup:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Extra sweet!

All the best,

Lanny

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Same year as my first Half Cent :thumbsup: Congrat's!!!

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It is unfortunate that they do not come out of the dirt looking pretty most of the time, but it is still a heart stopper to find one...That item with so many others is still on my list.

HH,

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great find.....those classic head types are my favorite! WTG

Top Member Reactions