Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakemonster and I hit an area that has apparently been gone over quite a bit. But, we persisted for about three hours and came up with a few interesting finds. I did hit a personal record of 6 wheaties in one hunt. You can't really appreciate what this means unless you had been to the area and been affected by the myriad of iron and aluminum scrap that is the dirt where these old houses were torn down. The area is big enough, I know....just know....that there has to be some silver in there. One does have to go very slow to pick out that little 'blip' of a good tone when the target lies right between a sherd of aluminum and a chunk of iron pipe! But, it can be done!!

Here is a pic of one of the 6 wheaties that were dug:

wheatie.jpg

You can also see the row in this pic: (along with the 1989 Ratmobile and Mercedes 230 GL)

tot_take.jpg

Close up of the Ratmobile and the Mercedes GL:

Ratmobile.jpg
230GL.jpg

Upvote 0

family_fortune

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2011
sedalia mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Ace 250, tosoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wheaties?

Heck ya man nice find. i don't always just care for gold an silver, its nice but its neat to enjoy anything old! great find!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool finds!

All the best,

Lanny

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roland58 said:
I know....just know....that there has to be some silver in there. One does have to go very slow to pick out that little 'blip' of a good tone when the target lies right between a sherd of aluminum and a chunk of iron pipe! But, it can be done!!

The F-75 does indeed take "snapshots" of each and every thing below your coil feeding you both a VDI and a corresponding audio tone. Such is why it is a very noisy detector to some who don't give it a fair shot. It is indeed possible to sift between the trash and weed out those good sounding tones if one is patient and diligent enough.
A fair ratio is one silver to every 5 wheats (as long as it isnt a pocket spill of wheats), so I think your silver is down there some where.

Nice finds and good luck.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
schoser said:
Nice work...what are the dates of the wheats?

I'll post the dates along with some pics when I get them cleaned up. I'm pretty sure one of them is a 1941. Until then......stay safe.

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: like . ossi

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
schoser,
Well, I finally got a chance to clean up the finds from the 29th.......not too late! After getting things cleaned up, I found there were eight wheaties, instead of six, with the following dates:

1940 S
1949 D
1945 S
1945 no mint mark
1944 D
1944 D
1942 D
1945 D

No doubt, the most wheaties I have ever found in one day and they were all found in an area about the size of a double car garage on one side of the old driveway.......the driver's side if they pulled in straight from the street.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakemonster and I went back, I went very slow....listening inbetween the trash, but, to no avail. No silver, in fact, only found one more wheatie! I know there must be some silver in there and we may find some yet.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding wheaties...There has got to be silver there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread