NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these a few days ago at work, but just managed to get them home and get some pics.

We were gutting a house that was built in the 1880's and part of that involved ripping down a ceiling that had a small, pretty much inaccessible attic space over it. Under the sheetrock there was a beadboard ceiling that had been sealed in during a previous remodel. (I salvaged it all and am in the process of installing it into my own house) As I was taking the boards down, being as careful as I could to not damage them, I heard the unmistakable clink of glass, so I popped my head up as soon as I had room, and found about 20 bottles laying between the ceiling joists. Most were pretty plain but I took pics of the three best to post here.

There's a Canadian Club Whiskey bottle with the paper label in decent shape, I'm not sure if it will show in the pic, but printed in green in the center is "1920" and a crown with a "W" in a shield under it. I'm wondering if this is a prohibition era bottle that was smuggled in.

Then we have a "Curacao" Non-Alcoholic Cordial bottle from L.E. JUNG & WULFF Co. of New Orleans with a really nice label on it that I'm guessing from the artwork is late 1800's early 1900's. Any opinions welcome here.

The last one is a 'KINA LAROCHE" bottle, which I understand was some kind of "invigorating tonic" whatever that means. I found two of these, but only took pics of the one since they are identical. They seem really crudely made, being a bit lopsided and one has really visible lines in the glass.

Treasure is where you find it, I'll try to post a pic of the whole lot of them as soon as I get the rest of them back to the house. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting......Stay warm out there!

Attachments

• IMAG0069.JPG
    IMAG0069.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 626
  • IMAG0070.JPG
    IMAG0070.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 625
  • IMAG0072.JPG
    IMAG0072.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 638
  • IMAG0073.JPG
    IMAG0073.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 631
  • IMAG0074.JPG
    IMAG0074.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 634
  • IMAG0075.JPG
    IMAG0075.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd add a pic of the bead board going up.... it's really yellowed with age, but a couple coats of Kilz and some ceiling white and it'll be good as new.

Attachments

• IMAG0064.JPG
    IMAG0064.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 728

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like these sort of posts great using every chance to find something . Even when your working thank you for sharing

tinpan

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! Labels intact are a big plus. "Invigorating tonic", possibly containing alcohol, and/or cocaine extract, cannibis, heroin, who knows what else, if before the pure food and drug act 1905.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice !!!! :icon_thumright: I love to find bottles in attics or crawlspaces , HH

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this info about the Kina Laroche bottle, the one pictured looks exactly like the two I found!

"The second bottle is from the Cival War era (1860's) and reads in embossed letters "Kina Laroche". Kina Laroche was a tonic, invigorator, and fever reducer sold by druggists, and was distributed by E. Fougera & Co. The product was available prior to the 1860's and continued on the market well after 1900. It was endorsed by the famous opera singer Enrico Caruso in 1904."

Read more: http://miami.ebayclassifieds.com/an...emedy-kina-laroche/?ad=15031373#ixzz1fOvsgWM4

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know your bottle is not absinthe but the follow info may help date the bottle.

"Absinthe made in New Orleans under the label of L.E. Jung and Wulff was distilled at 317-319 Magazine Street between 1883 and 1912. There were several other distillers of absinthe in the city at this time and they all formed the New Orleans Absinthe Manufacturers Association."

DCMatt

P.S. I had my first Sazarac down there about two months ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread