Im detecting in COLD!!!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'm detecting in COLD!!!

This is BS. All of us in the cold areas of the country are saying we can't wait for Spring. Why not detect all winter. People ice fish. Why the hell not detect. I am going to at least give it a shot and I'm going to drag True Metal into this experiment. I think with a metal spike and a heavy hammer, I should be able to chisel into the ground. Anyone else going to give it a shot?!!?!?!!?!?! Maybe with a few people trying different methods, we can find a good solution. My other idea was a handheld blow torch to warm the ground a bit before digging.

Upvote 0

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Re: I'm detecting in COLD!!!

I think your crazy LOL!

Although I understand what your going through, I have broke two knifes trying to dig in frozen dirt!

You might try to find where really thick grass has grown in the summer and try to find surface clad. without have to dig.

Here's another tip go to parking lots where the snow plows push all the snow into a plie in parking lots like the mall and detect the mounds of snow people lose things all the time in the parking lots especialy in the show where they can't hear an item fall.

Onion

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I've got a turkey firer, and I'm considering filling the pot with water and boiling it. As it heats i can detect and mark my targets then dump the boiling water on my marks and dig. It's sounds like alot of work but if I park close to where I'm decting I can set up my ground defrosting equipment right at the truck and work the immediate area. Its worth a shot!

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

I'am jus goin to use my trustyl ol diggin iron! i think it might work even tho tommorow there is an 80% chance of 3' o snow tommarow! HH CS

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

I like it!! Keep throwing out the ideas. How about first person to find a piece of silver in sub freezing temps wins (you don't win anything, but you win). I could see breaking knives, but you aren't going to break a railroad spike or something heavy like that. CoinSaver, explain the digging iron please. I like the boiling water trick too. Go do it!!

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Better idea!, I'm going to flip the burner over and place on top of the signal. This should super heat the ground making for easy digging!

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004

My Md buddies here only detect in the winter, no snakes, bugs, heat etc.. However our biggest snow storm here last winter was in April other then that we don't get much. I went out today for about two hours didn't find much but its on my own property and I've got alot to search. Suppose to get rain/snow tommorrow and then into the mid 20's so I don't know how much longer I'll be out there but you can bet there'll be some days this winter for me HH Bob.B

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

how about a large barn nail or spike(hardwarestore)3 lb. sledge,propane torch.pound the spike via sledge close to signal heat with torch for ? dig> get cold instant heat from torch bring coffe makins with for some smooth outdoor brew or they sell a colemann mantel screws onto top of propane bottle(walmart) put the metal cup on top heat up! god dont burn your lips though dummy, i did once when ice fishing ouch! try a variation of this ,what works. DEKALB33

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X

I'm going to try to! I live in PA and it was in the 40's today. It was enough to melt most of the snow so maybe the ground thawed a little to. It was very cold the past few days though as I'm sure most of the NE was. It was a whopping 7 degrees one night.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

I've already been out in the cold, and for some reason the cold takes all ( most ) the fun out of it..
I just broke knife the other day, and the ground wasn't even frozen yet...

I think my winter time hunting is going to be in the crawl space of this old house..
I'm going to short'n up the shafts on my detector , get my little strap-on bike light & go at it.
Hopefully, noone has ever been down there with a detector before. With the house being built in 1912, it should yield a few old coins, atleast...

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Leon, crawl spaces are excellent!! there one of my favorite place to search. People always throw stuff or hide stuff in them. As a kid I threw everything I wanted to get rid of into 2 crawl spaces under my mothers house, also hid a bunch of things in there that are probably still there!.My grandfather thought his crawl spaces were his personal vaults and hid everything from Bourbon to silver bars in them

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X

I did go out today like I said. All I can say is Holy mud! The snow melted and the ground thawed alright! It was so freakin muddy I could barely stand it. I could dig with my hands. I just about had to because I left my shovel at home and all I had to dig with was my knife. It wouldn't have been as bad if I had my shovel. I found nothing good really.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Oravikmatt,
Where are you? I was digging in the mud too. Came home all muddy, but found a couple cool things, but no silver.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A Masons block/brick hammer would be good provided the freeze was only a couple inches deep. With practice you could get a round hole and use a trowel once you got to loose dirt. If the freeze is down to 6" or more, you would tire quickly hacking away at that. As said above the cold would take the fun out of it also.

Hopefully we have a mild winter. 8)

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Bob b. I'm on Long Island in NY weather here is still good I've probably got another week or two before it gets nasty

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Once the temp hits a certain point you should recall your owners manual information or specs on operating range for your machine. Also keep in mind that the LCD displays may have problems with cold. I've wrapped up my meter-less machines and hunted in very cold weather before, but only whne the ground is freshly broken at a construction, demolition or farm sites. Can't work lawns when it's cold, that hole you dig simply won't heal up. The only other hunt is the sledding hills and it looks like a lot of folks will get that opportunity over the coming week. good luck all.

P.S. Don't forget to check the local snow removal sites where parking lot snow has been plowed and removed to, these are often great cash mines. I've found countless tools, very much money, cell phones, pagers and jewelry in these in the past.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

35 degrees on LI today, My buddy and I just chopped 4 inches into a tree (a dead tree) chasing a signal only to recover an old nail, not even an OLD nail just a nail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread