Rev War Hessian Hat Pin?

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My hunt today started out wet and cold as I met up with fellow t-netter Brendan for some Rev War hunting. He took me to an awesome site that had some serious potential. 50 feet into the woods we were covered in ticks but decided to press on! Arriving at the site we split up and began hunting. Brendan stayed at the top of this 200 plus foot precipice and I opted to go low and climb precariously down to the waters edge of the Hudson river. As I hunted along I found a huge telephone pole that had falled down the hill years ago and had some huge insulators on it and finding one that was intact dragged it up the hillside to Brendan. Leaving it by an oak tree on the way out (it weighed all of 20 pounds) I started detecting. Receiving a signal that about blew my headphones off I pinpointed and reached for my digger. OMG! I left it at the bottom of the hill where I found the insulator! So off I went down the hill passing Brendan again. Down there at the bottom of the hill I hunted back the opposite way along the river and got a signal at 5 inches beneath a fallen tree encompassed by roots. Each shovel of dirt gave up oyster shells, pottery and glass from the 18th century. My heart was racing as I saw what made the noise in my headphones. It was a hat pin in the scrolled letter “H”. Could it be Hessian? I was giddy thinking of the possibilities! I went up the hill to show Brendan and he had dug something pretty awesome as well. An axe head (later after cleaning having a heart makers mark attributed to Burgoyne). He asked what I found and he said “Wow”! We continued to hunt through a chilly rain and constantly checking for ticks. Before long it was time to go. Each of us equally happy with our finds. I wanted to get the pin home to clean and research, but Brendan had another spot to check out that was the site of a blockhouse. So off we went. Not finding much and nearing the end of our hunt time I was ending my detecting when I got a decent signal and out pops a lead silver dollar sized thing. It had flowers all over it! Nice find! So we ended the hunt and after parting for the day I quickly went home to clean my hat pin. My heart fell when as the dirt came off copper not brass appeared. Then the details of engraving and flowers. Again flowers. My dreams of this being a Hessian Hat pin crumbled before me. Someone please tell me it is a military hat pin, although I have much doubt. Great hunt either way being out and completing what we called the iron man challenge of detecting braving the weather, ticks, hillsides and cold! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• h before.jpg
    h before.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 988
  • h before back.jpg
    h before back.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 984
  • h cleaned.jpg
    h cleaned.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 976
  • flower before.jpg
    flower before.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 985
  • todays finds.jpg
    todays finds.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 990
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And here are picks of the insulator I carried out. A full 9 inches in diameter and dated 1965! Biggest insulator I have ever found! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• insulator.jpg
    insulator.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 891
  • insulator closeup.jpg
    insulator closeup.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 840
  • insulator bottom.jpg
    insulator bottom.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 960

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice peace of history, thanks for sharing. :coffee2:

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fun hunt today, sir. You ended up with a decent little haul!

I really like that lead piece. Hopefully some TNet members can give us some insight on it.

I'll post pics of the axe later. It's a British square poll axe, with a heart-shaped mark. I read that a lot of the iron from the Saratoga campaign comes up with that same mark....

Congrats bud and thanks for braving the elements with me today!

--B

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's intials........F-C in old script.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is 3/4 of a Prussian breast plate that I dug on a 1793 battle site in Germany. Similar design.

Attachments

• 5008_1306011745[1].jpg
    5008_1306011745[1].jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 887

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I think it's intials........F-C in old script.

Nearly, its a JC. Not 18th C in my opinion, looks more late 19th, & not military either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread