Mississippi fossil finds

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
I know this is a bit different from the usual posts but while down in Mississippi for Thanksgiving, I took a break from metal detecting civil war sites to do a little fossil hunting. Outside of Booneville, there is a creek that used to be part of the sea floor about 65 million years ago. Fossil shark teeth abound, mainly goblin and raven shark. This is my haul after about 3 hours of sifting gravel, the whole creek is littered with the fossils of clams and oysters. The largest shark tooth is roughly 2 inches long. This is my 3rd trip to the creek and I never leave with less than a couple dozen teeth and various other fossils. Sorry about the pic, a little bright but you get the idea.

I have a passion for finding treasures, be they civil war or older than dirt.

Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• Mississippi finds 11-25-11.jpg
    Mississippi finds 11-25-11.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2,097
Upvote 0

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hmm...That's really weird! I had a dream once that I was fossil hunting in some body of water (ocean I think) in Mississippi and I found an ammonite!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats...that is a nice 2" tooth.

I've been wanting to hunt for shark teeth for months now but have not had the time. We have a brook her in NJ that sounds very similar to your creek. I really wanted to go after hurricane Irene because I figured all that rain would have eroded the banks and uncovered additional fossils.

When I do get a chance I will post my finds.

Thanks for sharing.
NJ

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great shark's teeth! Welcome to the forum ;D Breezie

M

MiniMe

Very cool. As bad as sharks teeth can hurt you, they are so intriguing to look at.

OP
OP
M

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
yaxthri said:
Some nice alligator/croc scutes aswell... Keep digging!

Really? In that case I do need to get back to the site, there were several pieces like them but I only took a couple because I really did not know what it was. I have to admit I had to to to wikipedia to figure out what a scute was but the fact it could be fossiled crocodile skin is amazing. Thanks for the identification and thank you for all the great comments. I am glad to find a place where I can share my passion. Most people look at what I find and say, "Interesting" and then move onto talking about anything else.

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool those teeth still look like new, i used to search for fossils and eveyonce and a while i find one hear or there, laylr i found an anomnite in a pile of rock when i was metal detecting , and i use to find perfect mini rolled up limestone trilobites in the gravel of a swing set when i was in public school, but lost the trilobites because i always use to carry them around :'(, and i'm always keeping an eye out for them.

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
Working as a logger we found a mound that had the color of coal. On closer inspection we found it was made up of thousands of intact petrified clams, each about the size of a thumb nail. And this is at an elevation of 4,200 feet. Sort of reminds you of the story of Noah and his arc.

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
mikeshayne said:
Really? In that case I do need to get back to the site, there were several pieces like them but I only took a couple because I really did not know what it was. I have to admit I had to to to wikipedia to figure out what a scute was but the fact it could be fossiled crocodile skin is amazing. Thanks for the identification and thank you for all the great comments. I am glad to find a place where I can share my passion. Most people look at what I find and say, "Interesting" and then move onto talking about anything else.

Glad that I've been helpful :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread