Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I,m quite excited tonite :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: This morning i went back to the side of the hill i been hunting. With all the mining activity going on up between 1852 -1930,s There had to be more miners hunts. Miners didn,t live in the mines.Once the large hard rock mines started , these employed miners on low wages. Poor and big familes these couldn,t afford a horse. For a very long time they lived their lives in the local area. Traveling and holidays was something that didn,t happen for most.

It was quite easy to realize that a 1915 Belguim coin would have been brought back from the Great War. Many of the young miners enlisted to fight for king and country. They thought an adventure How wrong that was. The rest is history. Because many of the Australian regiments and battalions were formed in local areas . It was quite easy to figure out which battalion. There was 2 main battalions in the this area. So checked the Belgium battlefeilds with what regiments. Singled it down to the 38th battalion.I researched the National Data base for the records. Read the first 6 lines and eyeballs hit the floor. The 38th boot camp was at the local racecoarse.No-one dumps there rubbish in the middle of the camp. Big ww1 dump near the site. Local by laws doesn,t allow housing or building on unnatural ground. This stands today. So the dump has to be someware on the fringe of the race coarse. Public land so i can try and find it.Heres the link and info that made my eyes full out.

Got work tomorrow so i will take a look for the site during the week.

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11225.asp

Will post other finds from the hill later

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1183.jpg
    100_1183.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 783
  • 100_1184.jpg
    100_1184.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 773
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions