Quindy the Prophet + Moonbeams + Rain = Confederate Block A Button!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few days ago, Quindy commented on my post here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,437538.msg3120177.html#msg3120177 - stating that "I really believe you will unearth something very rare before Christmas." Then, the other day, I read that old-timers say that 2-4 days after a full moon is the best time to relic hunt. We had a full moon on the 10th of December and I went relic hunting today on a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley where I've pulled a few nice finds out of the ground - a 1941 Washington quarter, CW period padlock that cleaned up nicely, a Confederate issue stirrup, nice IH, etc. And we also had over 2 inches of rain last week. The ground is nice and wet down a foot or more. So, today I pulled this Confederate Block A Button out of the ground! It was the first signal of the day and I'd only been swinging my MXT Pro about 30 seconds! There's no back on it and its a bit rough, but I'll take it! I switched off later and started using the T2SE and pulled this near perfect 1964 Roosevelt out as I was headed back to the car. Found some other brass decorative items, rolled lead, etc. The 69 caliber and the WWI button were found last week near the McDowell Battlefield - on private land of course.

I cleaned the Block A with peroxide, scrubbing bubbles, and baking soda. Should I do anything else to clean it? What would y'all recommend for preserving and preventing further corrosion/rust? I've got some Renaissance wax I was thinking about using. Should I clean it more first, let it dry out more . . . ??? Any help would be appreciated!

Quindy - you're a prophet!! :headbang: Tell me,what will I find next? :blob7:

Attachments

• blocka1.jpg
    blocka1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,084
  • blocka2.jpg
    blocka2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,162
  • blocka3.jpg
    blocka3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • blocka4.jpg
    blocka4.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,163
  • blocka5.jpg
    blocka5.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • blocka6.jpg
    blocka6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 64rosey.jpg
    64rosey.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 64rosey2.jpg
    64rosey2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 69cal_mcdowell.jpg
    69cal_mcdowell.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • ww1_mcdowell.jpg
    ww1_mcdowell.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,284
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
Steve in PA said:
Congrats on that Block A Stonewall! Be careful using aluminum jelly on a button that doesn't have gilt. You might want to practice of a junk button in similar condition.

Thanks Steve. What would you recommend instead?

That button looks like it has had some pretty serious ground action working on it. If you leave the jelly on too long it can attack the button and eat it up even more. Before using a new cleaning approach on a good relic, it is always a good idea to practice with it first on a similar junk piece of the same material, level of corrosion, etc. So it you have some beat up eagle buttons that have about the same amount of corrosion, try the jelly on a couple of them first. Don't leave it on too long to start. You can always put more on, but if you leave it on too long, you can go past the point of no return. If you are uncomfortable with the jelly, you might try using a toothpick to get some of the encrustation off, then soak it in baby oil which will darken it and eliminate some of the mottled colors. You can also try this with a junk button. Good luck, post it up again if you are happy with the results of your cleaning.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Old Stonewall said:
Steve in PA said:
Congrats on that Block A Stonewall! Be careful using aluminum jelly on a button that doesn't have gilt. You might want to practice of a junk button in similar condition.

Thanks Steve. What would you recommend instead?

That button looks like it has had some pretty serious ground action working on it. If you leave the jelly on too long it can attack the button and eat it up even more. Before using a new cleaning approach on a good relic, it is always a good idea to practice with it first on a similar junk piece of the same material, level of corrosion, etc. So it you have some beat up eagle buttons that have about the same amount of corrosion, try the jelly on a couple of them first. Don't leave it on too long to start. You can always put more on, but if you leave it on too long, you can go past the point of no return. If you are uncomfortable with the jelly, you might try using a toothpick to get some of the encrustation off, then soak it in baby oil which will darken it and eliminate some of the mottled colors. You can also try this with a junk button. Good luck, post it up again if you are happy with the results of your cleaning.

Great, thanks again.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: A BIG congrats on that "A" button! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
That Rosie is a beauty too. :thumbsup:
That old coot Quindy knows his stuff, that's for sure. ;D
As far as a full moon goes, I once detected with a full moon, but that's because my pouch was so full it pulled my britches down. :tongue3: :laughing9: (Sorry)

Great post Stonewall. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: A BIG congrats on that "A" button! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
As far as a full moon goes, I once detected with a full moon, but that's because my pouch was so full it pulled my britches down. :tongue3: :laughing9: (Sorry)

-Doug-

Doug - thanks. Yeah, that Rosey looks like it was minted yesterday. BTW, my son in law will have a Tesoro Silver UMax under the tree on Christmas.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Beauty, Congratulations my friend, looks like Quindy DID call that one home! I love the Block A's, always have no matter how many I dig or see dug, and yours IS pretty, :hello2: :occasion14:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
What a Beauty, Congratulations my friend, looks like Quindy DID call that one home! I love the Block A's, always have no matter how many I dig or see dug, and yours IS pretty, :hello2: :occasion14:

Thanks Josh. The owner of this place has told me that Confederates camped there at some point. The only other things I've found there that could be WBTS related are a padlock that dates to the era and what is possibly a Confederate issue iron stirrup. But I was beginning to doubt the validity of the camp. Not sure now. This button has me reconsidering the possibilities, though I realize it simply could have been lost by a veteran after the war. There are two springs on the place, so it would be ideal for a camp, but I've not made many other finds. I've been hunting mostly in the vicinity near the house, which dates to the mid 18th century. There's some higher ground behind the house that I've not hunted yet. Would that area be more likely to have been a camp site? What other signs/evidence should I look for?

Merry Christmas!!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
{Sentinel} said:

Thanks Josh. The owner of this place has told me that Confederates camped there at some point. The only other things I've found there that could be WBTS related are a padlock that dates to the era and what is possibly a Confederate issue iron stirrup. But I was beginning to doubt the validity of the camp. Not sure now. This button has me reconsidering the possibilities, though I realize it simply could have been lost by a veteran after the war. There are two springs on the place, so it would be ideal for a camp, but I've not made many other finds. I've been hunting mostly in the vicinity near the house, which dates to the mid 18th century. There's some higher ground behind the house that I've not hunted yet. Would that area be more likely to have been a camp site? What other signs/evidence should I look for?

Merry Christmas!!
Oh yeah, on the slopes of that hillside near water should be some good relics

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
ModernMiner said:

-Doug-

Doug - thanks. Yeah, that Rosey looks like it was minted yesterday. BTW, my son in law will have a Tesoro Silver UMax under the tree on Christmas.

Great news! :thumbsup: He will love that machine.
Glad I could help,
Doug

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Old Stonewall said:
ModernMiner said:

-Doug-

Great news! :thumbsup: He will love that machine.
Glad I could help,
Doug

Doug - for what he wanted to spend and starting out, I think he'll be happy. I didn't even realize he was all that interested in the hobby. Then after talking with me about it some and I after he went home, I was talking to my daughter and she said he had been watching a lot of Youtube relic hunting videos! ::)

I knew that would ruin him. :wink: After that, he said he sure would like to have one for Christmas. He's been bit and he's not even gone on his first hunt yet! :laughing7:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice block A!! Can you post a pic of the lock and the spur? I just like seeing relics.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Sweet button :icon_thumleft:

Nice history saves :hello2:

Blaze

Thanks JB.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread