Quindy the Prophet + Moonbeams + Rain = Confederate Block A Button!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few days ago, Quindy commented on my post here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,437538.msg3120177.html#msg3120177 - stating that "I really believe you will unearth something very rare before Christmas." Then, the other day, I read that old-timers say that 2-4 days after a full moon is the best time to relic hunt. We had a full moon on the 10th of December and I went relic hunting today on a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley where I've pulled a few nice finds out of the ground - a 1941 Washington quarter, CW period padlock that cleaned up nicely, a Confederate issue stirrup, nice IH, etc. And we also had over 2 inches of rain last week. The ground is nice and wet down a foot or more. So, today I pulled this Confederate Block A Button out of the ground! It was the first signal of the day and I'd only been swinging my MXT Pro about 30 seconds! There's no back on it and its a bit rough, but I'll take it! I switched off later and started using the T2SE and pulled this near perfect 1964 Roosevelt out as I was headed back to the car. Found some other brass decorative items, rolled lead, etc. The 69 caliber and the WWI button were found last week near the McDowell Battlefield - on private land of course.

I cleaned the Block A with peroxide, scrubbing bubbles, and baking soda. Should I do anything else to clean it? What would y'all recommend for preserving and preventing further corrosion/rust? I've got some Renaissance wax I was thinking about using. Should I clean it more first, let it dry out more . . . ??? Any help would be appreciated!

Quindy - you're a prophet!! :headbang: Tell me,what will I find next? :blob7:

Attachments

• blocka1.jpg
    blocka1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,084
  • ww1_mcdowell.jpg
    ww1_mcdowell.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 69cal_mcdowell.jpg
    69cal_mcdowell.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 64rosey2.jpg
    64rosey2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 64rosey.jpg
    64rosey.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • blocka6.jpg
    blocka6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • blocka5.jpg
    blocka5.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • blocka4.jpg
    blocka4.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,163
  • blocka3.jpg
    blocka3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • blocka2.jpg
    blocka2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,162
Upvote 0

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious as to why it would matter what part of the cycle the moon is in pertaining to relic hunting? Any more info on that? Nice finds btw, the button is cool. HH

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RyanRooney said:
Curious as to why it would matter what part of the cycle the moon is in pertaining to relic hunting? Any more info on that? Nice finds btw, the button is cool. HH

Not sure. We know this much, its enough to pull the oceans in and out. I've also heard from several nurses that work maternity wards that more babies are delivered during full moon phases. In any event, it helped me deliver this "baby" today! :laughing7:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Good thing you listened to Quindy. He can really help you out. As far a cleaning the only thing that I use on buttons is Aluminum Jelly. It will take the crud off and leave the patina on the button. This has been the best cleaning method that I have found. Put some on a toothpick and work at it. You may have to repeat a few times but the results are well worth it. I enclosed a before and after pic on how well it does.

Attachments

• DSC01583.JPG
    DSC01583.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,248
  • DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,208
  • DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSC01583.JPG
    DSC01583.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,234
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
Nice finds. Good thing you listened to Quindy. He can really help you out. As far a cleaning the only thing that I use on buttons is Aluminum Jelly. It will take the crud off and leave the patina on the button. This has been the best cleaning method that I have found. Put some on a toothpick and work at it. You may have to repeat a few times but the results are well worth it. I enclosed a before and after pic on how well it does.

Thanks TH. I'll try the AJ.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Richard on a great CW recovery from VA!!! Given the relics you have been finding and your enthusiasm and devotion to relic hunting, it didn't take a prophet to figure out you would make a rare recovery.
Regarding the moon phases, I wrote an article that was published in the Feb. 2010 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine entitled "Metal Detecting Myths-Fact or fiction". In that article, I mention what I was told by a guy with many years of coin hunting experience when I started hunting 16 years ago. His theory was very much like what you said regarding if the moon was strong enough to cause ocean tides that metal conductivity in the soil would be enhanced. Who knows? I also heard that you will find more coins and relics in a high wind. I personally think that soil moisture is the most important factor because you get more depth. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the article manuscript if you like.
A CW period or earlier coin is in your future. Take Randy's (Treasurehound) advice on the button cleaning. WTG and HH Richard, Quindy.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent save Stonewall :icon_thumright: I too found my first Block A this year with my MXT.Well done!!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Congrats Richard on a great CW recovery from VA!!! Given the relics you have been finding and your enthusiasm and devotion to relic hunting, it didn't take a prophet to figure out you would make a rare recovery.
Regarding the moon phases, I wrote an article that was published in the Feb. 2010 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine entitled "Metal Detecting Myths-Fact or fiction". In that article, I mention what I was told by a guy with many years of coin hunting experience when I started hunting 16 years ago. His theory was very much like what you said regarding if the moon was strong enough to cause ocean tides that metal conductivity in the soil would be enhanced. Who knows? I also heard that you will find more coins and relics in a high wind. I personally think that soil moisture is the most important factor because you get more depth. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the article manuscript if you like.
A CW period or earlier coin is in your future. Take Randy's (Treasurehound) advice on the button cleaning. WTG and HH Richard, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy! Yes, I agree with you about the moisture content. I'd been over this particular area a dozen times with the MXT, Garrett's AT Pro, and a little bit w/the T2. Its kinda funny, that particular area never really yielded much, but I kept going back to it. I just felt there was something there. The conditions yesterday were perfect. Thanks for the coin prediction - but what I'd really like to find is a CS plate. See what you can do about that, will you? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
Excellent save Stonewall :icon_thumright: I too found my first Block A this year with my MXT.Well done!!

Thanks. The MXT is a work horse. I love that machine.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RTDE3 said:
Congrats!!
I like the MXT also!

Yes, my MXT Pro is still my primary unit - not to dismiss the T2SE or the AT Pro. I bought the AT Pro primarily for water hunting and have done well with it hunting in some rivers, though it does very well on dry ground as well. The T2SE is still very new to me. I know I will eventually get the hang of it and it does separate well. All 3 are great machines. BTW, the MXT sniffed out that button in the same hole with a small nail. Again, conditions were perfect yesterday.

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
In the vernacular of the modern- Good on ya Rick, and that MXT!! :icon_thumright: Another milestone in your "hobby".

I've hunted with Rick a number of times; he's got a gift for gettin' the goods! :hello2:

Congratulations, supoib!!!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Irregular said:
In the vernacular of the modern- Good on ya Rick, and that MXT!! :icon_thumright: Another milestone in your "hobby".

I've hunted with Rick a number of times; he's got a gift for gettin' the goods! :hello2:

Congratulations, supoib!!!

Thanks Doug! Its all in the numbers - the more swings of the coil, the higher the likelihood, as in "seek, and ye shall find." See you soon!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nooberz said:
Sweet button!!

Thanks Nooberz. It's a bit toasty, but I'm hoping some alum. jelly will clean it up some more. Got some on the way.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
I got my aluminum jelly at Ace Hardware in the silver polish area. This stuff works wonders and here is the site that goes into great detail on how to clean buttons.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

Thanks TH! There's an ACE near my home. I'll stop by this evening, even though I have some coming. I suppose I'll use it eventually. :wink:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Wooohooo! Nice button :icon_thumleft: Quindy is the General. He knows :wink:

Thank you sir. That he is AND a prophet. :wink:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that Block A Stonewall! Be careful using aluminum jelly on a button that doesn't have gilt. You might want to practice of a junk button in similar condition.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Congrats on that Block A Stonewall! Be careful using aluminum jelly on a button that doesn't have gilt. You might want to practice of a junk button in similar condition.

Thanks Steve. What would you recommend instead?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread