Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Charter Member
    us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quindy the Prophet + Moonbeams + Rain = Confederate Block A Button!

A few days ago, Quindy commented on my post here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...tml#msg3120177 - stating that "I really believe you will unearth something very rare before Christmas." Then, the other day, I read that old-timers say that 2-4 days after a full moon is the best time to relic hunt. We had a full moon on the 10th of December and I went relic hunting today on a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley where I've pulled a few nice finds out of the ground - a 1941 Washington quarter, CW period padlock that cleaned up nicely, a Confederate issue stirrup, nice IH, etc. And we also had over 2 inches of rain last week. The ground is nice and wet down a foot or more. So, today I pulled this Confederate Block A Button out of the ground! It was the first signal of the day and I'd only been swinging my MXT Pro about 30 seconds! There's no back on it and its a bit rough, but I'll take it! I switched off later and started using the T2SE and pulled this near perfect 1964 Roosevelt out as I was headed back to the car. Found some other brass decorative items, rolled lead, etc. The 69 caliber and the WWI button were found last week near the McDowell Battlefield - on private land of course.

I cleaned the Block A with peroxide, scrubbing bubbles, and baking soda. Should I do anything else to clean it? What would y'all recommend for preserving and preventing further corrosion/rust? I've got some Renaissance wax I was thinking about using. Should I clean it more first, let it dry out more . . . Any help would be appreciated!

Quindy - you're a prophet!! Tell me,what will I find next?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka1.jpg 
Views:	1051 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	590904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka2.jpg 
Views:	1117 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	590905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka3.jpg 
Views:	1126 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	590906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka4.jpg 
Views:	1128 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	590907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka5.jpg 
Views:	1186 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	590908  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocka6.jpg 
Views:	1188 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	590909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64rosey.jpg 
Views:	1169 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	590910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64rosey2.jpg 
Views:	1210 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	590911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69cal_mcdowell.jpg 
Views:	1205 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	590912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ww1_mcdowell.jpg 
Views:	1252 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	590913  

"A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers.

us
    Nov 2011
    New Paltz, NY
    Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Quindy the Prophet + Moonbeams + Rain = Confederate Block A Button!

Curious as to why it would matter what part of the cycle the moon is in pertaining to relic hunting? Any more info on that? Nice finds btw, the button is cool. HH

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRooney
    Curious as to why it would matter what part of the cycle the moon is in pertaining to relic hunting? Any more info on that? Nice finds btw, the button is cool. HH
    Not sure. We know this much, its enough to pull the oceans in and out. I've also heard from several nurses that work maternity wards that more babies are delivered during full moon phases. In any event, it helped me deliver this "baby" today!
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil, Garrett Sea Hunter
    295 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice finds. Good thing you listened to Quindy. He can really help you out. As far a cleaning the only thing that I use on buttons is Aluminum Jelly. It will take the crud off and leave the patina on the button. This has been the best cleaning method that I have found. Put some on a toothpick and work at it. You may have to repeat a few times but the results are well worth it. I enclosed a before and after pic on how well it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01578.JPG 
Views:	1178 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	59442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01583.JPG 
Views:	1215 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	59443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01578.JPG 
Views:	1177 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	590920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01583.JPG 
Views:	1203 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	590921  

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by treasurehound
    Nice finds. Good thing you listened to Quindy. He can really help you out. As far a cleaning the only thing that I use on buttons is Aluminum Jelly. It will take the crud off and leave the patina on the button. This has been the best cleaning method that I have found. Put some on a toothpick and work at it. You may have to repeat a few times but the results are well worth it. I enclosed a before and after pic on how well it does.
    Thanks TH. I'll try the AJ.

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    2860 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Congrats Richard on a great CW recovery from VA!!! Given the relics you have been finding and your enthusiasm and devotion to relic hunting, it didn't take a prophet to figure out you would make a rare recovery.
    Regarding the moon phases, I wrote an article that was published in the Feb. 2010 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine entitled "Metal Detecting Myths-Fact or fiction". In that article, I mention what I was told by a guy with many years of coin hunting experience when I started hunting 16 years ago. His theory was very much like what you said regarding if the moon was strong enough to cause ocean tides that metal conductivity in the soil would be enhanced. Who knows? I also heard that you will find more coins and relics in a high wind. I personally think that soil moisture is the most important factor because you get more depth. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the article manuscript if you like.
    A CW period or earlier coin is in your future. Take Randy's (Treasurehound) advice on the button cleaning. WTG and HH Richard, Quindy.
    View more Tenn. Trio hunts by going to "You Tube" & typing in "Quindy Robertson".

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    579 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Excellent save Stonewall I too found my first Block A this year with my MXT.Well done!!

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Congrats Richard on a great CW recovery from VA!!! Given the relics you have been finding and your enthusiasm and devotion to relic hunting, it didn't take a prophet to figure out you would make a rare recovery.
    Regarding the moon phases, I wrote an article that was published in the Feb. 2010 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine entitled "Metal Detecting Myths-Fact or fiction". In that article, I mention what I was told by a guy with many years of coin hunting experience when I started hunting 16 years ago. His theory was very much like what you said regarding if the moon was strong enough to cause ocean tides that metal conductivity in the soil would be enhanced. Who knows? I also heard that you will find more coins and relics in a high wind. I personally think that soil moisture is the most important factor because you get more depth. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the article manuscript if you like.
    A CW period or earlier coin is in your future. Take Randy's (Treasurehound) advice on the button cleaning. WTG and HH Richard, Quindy.
    Thanks Quindy! Yes, I agree with you about the moisture content. I'd been over this particular area a dozen times with the MXT, Garrett's AT Pro, and a little bit w/the T2. Its kinda funny, that particular area never really yielded much, but I kept going back to it. I just felt there was something there. The conditions yesterday were perfect. Thanks for the coin prediction - but what I'd really like to find is a CS plate. See what you can do about that, will you?

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by civilman1
    Excellent save Stonewall I too found my first Block A this year with my MXT.Well done!!
    Thanks. The MXT is a work horse. I love that machine.

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RTDE3
    Congrats!!
    I like the MXT also!
    Yes, my MXT Pro is still my primary unit - not to dismiss the T2SE or the AT Pro. I bought the AT Pro primarily for water hunting and have done well with it hunting in some rivers, though it does very well on dry ground as well. The T2SE is still very new to me. I know I will eventually get the hang of it and it does separate well. All 3 are great machines. BTW, the MXT sniffed out that button in the same hole with a small nail. Again, conditions were perfect yesterday.

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

us
    Knight Errant, Coffee Feind

Mar 2011
    Virginia (Occupied)
    44 times

In the vernacular of the modern- Good on ya Rick, and that MXT!! Another milestone in your "hobby".

I've hunted with Rick a number of times; he's got a gift for gettin' the goods!

Congratulations, supoib!!!
    "Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595), standing order to the fleet

us
    Nov 2010
    Ohio
    XP Deus
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Sweet button!!

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Irregular
    In the vernacular of the modern- Good on ya Rick, and that MXT!! Another milestone in your "hobby".

I've hunted with Rick a number of times; he's got a gift for gettin' the goods!

Congratulations, supoib!!!
    Thanks Doug! Its all in the numbers - the more swings of the coil, the higher the likelihood, as in "seek, and ye shall find." See you soon!

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Charter Member
    us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    1143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Nooberz
    Sweet button!!
    Thanks Nooberz. It's a bit toasty, but I'm hoping some alum. jelly will clean it up some more. Got some on the way.

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil, Garrett Sea Hunter
    295 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I got my aluminum jelly at Ace Hardware in the silver polish area. This stuff works wonders and here is the site that goes into great detail on how to clean buttons.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,165857.0.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links