Missouri civil war finds

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Missouri has been blessed with moderate weather and this last Sunday, Abe, Umrgolf and myself were able to hit the ground in south central Missouri. We tried a spot near Sharp's Hill that I had only hit once before but which for some reson just beckoned me back. The cattle had trampled down much of the brush from my first visit. Umrgolf found an eagle button flattened out like a poker chip in the first five minutes but things seemed slow going for the next hour or so. I finally found a sweet spot, finding some firsts for me, 5 dropped .54 Starr carbines, a dropped .52 Sharps carbine and a carved .52 Sharps carbine which appears to carved into a chess piece. We scouted out a few more site which failed to produce so we decided for our last hour of day light to rehit the first site. I am glad we did. I have found buttons in Mississippi but I have never found a period button in Missouri. Only 2 inches down I found the eagle shield button, it may not be pristine but for marking off my 2011 bucket list, it is the prettiest thing I have seen in awhile. Abe and Umrgolf also found a few drops at the site as well. If the weather holds up, I might just pillage the ground one more time this year. Makes a md'er support global warming. ;D

Attachments

• 12-11-11.jpg
    12-11-11.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 1,506
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice relics!!! MR TUFF

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is the ring - part of a harness? i found this exact item recently.

OP
OP
M

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Metal Magnet said:
what is the ring - part of a harness? i found this exact item recently.

I believe it is part of a bit and bridle. I am mainly hunting in Union cavalry camp which of course explains a lot of the carbines.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep,half a bit

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
good hunt! glad you guys were able to get out and enjoy the hunting!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look's like a carved to boot :icon_thumright: Nice save's!!!

U

umrgolf

Great stuff Mike :headbang: that carved chess piece was outstanding :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: hopefully we get some more digging in before spring :icon_thumleft:

forgot to add, huge congrats on your first MO button :hello2: many, many more to come ;D

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri has some nice relics :icon_thumleft: you guys did really well :headbang: many more ! :occasion14: dawg

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeshayne said:
Missouri has been blessed with moderate weather and this last Sunday, Abe, Umrgolf and myself were able to hit the ground in south central Missouri. We tried a spot near Sharp's Hill that I had only hit once before but which for some reson just beckoned me back. The cattle had trampled down much of the brush from my first visit. Umrgolf found an eagle button flattened out like a poker chip in the first five minutes but things seemed slow going for the next hour or so. I finally found a sweet spot, finding some firsts for me, 5 dropped .54 Starr carbines, a dropped .52 Sharps carbine and a carved .52 Sharps carbine which appears to carved into a chess piece. We scouted out a few more site which failed to produce so we decided for our last hour of day light to rehit the first site. I am glad we did. I have found buttons in Mississippi but I have never found a period button in Missouri. Only 2 inches down I found the eagle shield button, it may not be pristine but for marking off my 2011 bucket list, it is the prettiest thing I have seen in awhile. Abe and Umrgolf also found a few drops at the site as well. If the weather holds up, I might just pillage the ground one more time this year. Makes a md'er support global warming. ;D
Nice relics great job,thanks for saving history one relic at a time. !!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread