WOW!!! I found Keys - TOO!!! They are just awesome to look at!

BiggerHammer

Greenie
Dec 10, 2011
Port St Lucie, FL
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
any safety deposit box keys?

old folks die -- dim witted house cleaning relative folks chuck safety deposit box keys (note the rent for those are normall paid yearly) normally their marked with the bank and vault no.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t-net, nice trash finds

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
biggerhammer,

Good score on the keys....recycling others discards and making a few bucks is a good idea...keep it up!

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer

Greenie
Dec 10, 2011
Port St Lucie, FL
Primary Interest:
Other
poppy in pa. said:
Hey, Thanks for the Ebay idea. :blob7: I never thought there was such an intrest in old keys. I've got a box full. Merry Christmas. poppy

Glad I gave you an idea =) Merry Christmas too...

walhooey

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
northern california
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter, garrett gta1000, garrettatgold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a large box of keys found over a long period of time that my daughter turned into a statue in an art class. They are always interesting . Nice find

OP
OP
BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer

Greenie
Dec 10, 2011
Port St Lucie, FL
Primary Interest:
Other
walhooey said:
had a large box of keys found over a long period of time that my daughter turned into a statue in an art class. They are always interesting . Nice find

Thank you! I bet the statue came out very interesting!! Do you have a picture?

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The flat silver colored key with the 3 holes in the clover head: I believe that comes from at least the 20s. I have a 1927 house that opens a latch on the back door that I believe is original. I also found one like it on the fringes of a battlefield in Georgia, but that could have been thrown out with the trash at sometime in the not-remembered past. What is the year and the state for the little license plate id tag thingie you have there?

OP
OP
BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer

Greenie
Dec 10, 2011
Port St Lucie, FL
Primary Interest:
Other
High Plains Digger said:
The flat silver colored key with the 3 holes in the clover head: I believe that comes from at least the 20s. I have a 1927 house that opens a latch on the back door that I believe is original. I also found one like it on the fringes of a battlefield in Georgia, but that could have been thrown out with the trash at sometime in the not-remembered past. What is the year and the state for the little license plate id tag thingie you have there?

Michigan and I'm assuming 1953, cause under the license plate # is a 53.
Then there is another one that is Michigan, 1958

Thank you for the info!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never really thought about those kind of keys, I have a whole bunch that some one dumped in the back corner of my yard, and there are some like yours, thanks for your post and your find.HH

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,225

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
53 is pretty cool. I don't remember, but I think they were a fund raiser from the Disabled Vets organization. They were really nice then. I don't know when they started but that had to be pretty close to the beginning of the key tags program. After a while, like the 70s, they were stamped in plastic. You won't find them like that with a MD, that's for sure! I wonder how many sets of keys they actually helped get returned through out the years?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice riveted padlock :wink:
I dug one of those 'Tip o the hat' guy keys recently,
Great show :thumbsup:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Brian C. said:
I never really thought about those kind of keys, I have a whole bunch that some one dumped in the back corner of my yard, and there are some like yours, thanks for your post and your find.HH
I heard that keys like this one are beer barrel spigot keys. HH

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MKnTenn said:
Brian C. said:
I heard that keys like this one are beer barrel spigot keys. HH
Yes you are right, it is 19th century, I think the early part. Great hobby we have, :coffee2:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting finds!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer

Greenie
Dec 10, 2011
Port St Lucie, FL
Primary Interest:
Other
High Plains Digger said:
53 is pretty cool. I don't remember, but I think they were a fund raiser from the Disabled Vets organization. They were really nice then. I don't know when they started but that had to be pretty close to the beginning of the key tags program. After a while, like the 70s, they were stamped in plastic. You won't find them like that with a MD, that's for sure! I wonder how many sets of keys they actually helped get returned through out the years?

I just tried to do some research this is what I found: Key Tag Service

In 1946 the Key Tag Service was launched as a means of providing employment for war amputees. Since then, the service has grown into a computerized program that has returned more than a million sets of lost keys to their owners, but always is dedicated to providing employment for Canadian amputees and people with other disabilities. The Civilian Liaison Program began in 1953 in order that war amputees could share their knowledge with others who are missing limbs from causes other than war. Later, the program was divided into two, one for adults and a separate program for children. H. Clifford Chadderton, who lost his right leg during the Second World War, became the Chief Executive Officer of the organization in 1965. The War Amps had been there to assist him in rebuilding his life as an amputee, and, in return, for more than 40 years, he has tirelessly served the needs of Canadian amputees, both young and old.

BUT NOT SURE if this is the same thing. Very neat looking into the past though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread