***UPDATED****"The Hole"

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
***UPDATED****"The Hole"

Hope everyone's weekend went well and there was a cornacopia of items to be found!

I have a story/question. Hopefully people reading will have had a similar story and can tell what to do/don't do.

I went back to the clearing today that has produced a lot of clad, couple silvers, an IH, and now 2 three-ringers. Also an old belt buckle similar to Comfy in vermont's. I'll post a pic of the three ringer and buckle later.

The last time I went to the clearing I came across a single that bounced between a penny/dime reading and said 6 inches on my ACE250. While I know the ACE250 is not exceedingly great a depth, I was skeptical of digging. But, remembering the MD'er mantra of "dig everything" and if you old geezers can do it, my 23 year old body can sure handle it :) So I dig....and dig.. and dig....

The reading never changed, it said penny/dime and 6 inches even when I dug (and I measured) 15 inches down. I would take the detector and put it to the base of the hole and that's where the strongest signal came from. I tried down the sides of the hole and not a peep. There are no powerlines around, nor do I get any signals in the immediate area surrounding the hole.

At this point I left the clearing and returned today. Towards the end of my hunt, I ventured over to the "hole" to see if there was still a signal. Indeed there was and like an idiot I start digging again hoping I might figure it out. It was to no avail and I left wondering what it was.

What could this be? I know on this and other forums people say raise the detector up about 6 inches off the ground and if you get a signal, it's most likely large and shallow. I tried this and nothing. It's when I put the detector down on the ground and into the hole that I get a signal.

It doesnt seem to be trash because it never deviates from the obvious coin bell tone that us ACE250 users know is unmistakeable for a coin.

Any help/stories/sympathy/apathy/ would be appreciated.

As always, thank y'all for your time in reading.

HH!

-Hunter

Upvote 0

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: "The Hole"

My ACE 250 does the exact same thing sometimes. You just have to dig the signal, go really deep. i once found a 1916 CT license plate 1.5 feet down in my yard. My ACE said it was a quarter at 4-6 inches. Dig it up, its a large object burried real deep!

-CC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a large deep target or a piece of foil off to the side playing games with you. I would widen the hole and go deeper, you might come up with a 57 Chevy, LOL. HH, Mike

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot

I dug 14" in. for this one...

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,570

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

i say dig.... dig young man like you've never dug before !! then dig a little more,, take a break , and do some more digging....lol....the mxt will do the same, its always junk, but i NEVER give up on a target once i start...

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

I Have Found CW Cannon Balls, 3 Ft Deep, Keep Digging! trk5capt...

Attachments

• 8inchmortor.jpg
    8inchmortor.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 8inchmortor.jpg
    8inchmortor.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,479

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had that happen to me too. I gave up, it was at the base of a huge live oak and was impossible to dig more. I would say it was blacksmith made iron cause of the location.

;) RR

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I would say that you have a pot of gold burried right there!

Keep on digging!!!

Its probably an old pot filled with real old gold and silver coins. Just a little but of digging for it...

Lol... kepp it up!

-CC

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

I would say it is a large deep target. Could be a cache of coins, cannonball, '57 chevy, you just dont know 'til you dig it.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6

If the soil isn't too rocky, you might want to try pushing a probe "metal rod" into the bottom of the hole. If the soil is decent, you should be able to push it in several feet. At least that way you'll have an idea of how deep you need to dig.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a definite target, something deep and big....dig and keep on digging till you find it, otherwise you will always wonder what you might have given up on and walked away from...it's probably junk, but then again...ya never know....:):) You also at sometime in the future be on here reading a post about someone's great find and realize it was from the same spot you gave up on and walked away from...:)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would reccomend you use a pinpointer to see if it is on the side or just really deep. A piece of rebar can be used as a probe. If you still cannot reach it I would get a really big shovel! Good luck. Tsgman

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

I use an ACE250 and have had this happen before.
here's what I would do:
Try pinpointing from several different sweep angles. Sometimes a coin on edge or angled 45degrees will pinpoint off center (same with pc. of a can or foil wad) If you are good with pionpointing your ACE, determine target center and then rotate around hole 90 degress, and do it again. Continue till you do the whole 360 degrees.
I BET that on one of these the pinpoint will show it's off to the side of the dug hole. If even one indicates that, open the hole in that direction. 9 times out of 10 it's off to the side.

HH

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

You went 15 inches with nothing? My bet is its a gold coin at 16 inches...... ;)

Axel

Sep 3, 2006
Australia , NSW
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

;D first weekend i went out...i had this happen to me...so i dug and dug...and a 17 inches down...i hit a water pipe ;D , who ever laid the pipe , laid it so it had raised up in that certain spot , maybe to put a sprinkler on?
who knows...JUST KEEP DIGGING!
good luck mate !

Cheers ,
AJ ;D

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Re: ***UPDATED****"The Hole"

Well I wish this story ended with a crock-o-coins or jimmy hoffa or something to that effect. But, alas, after digging the same 15 inches into the ground. I found the culprits. I will post a pic of people really want to see them but all I found were two heavily rusted and corroded iron rods.

The reason I did not find them earlier I think was due to bad pinpointing on my part. Some that responded mentioned moving the coil down the sides of the hole as opposed to just digging deeper even though I was hearing a signal there.

After removing the rods I made sure there were no other signals to be found.

Oh well, I feel a lot better knowing what it was.

And who says the ACE can't go deep!

HH!

-Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread