General Price in Missouri

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Not much to report this weekend, but Abe and I took advantage of the warm weather (around 50 degrees) in central Missouri to hit a site that is about played out. Confederate General Sterling Price in 1864 led a major campaign through Missouri. His route took him through central Missouri. Abe has detected several points of Price's route and I have had the opportunity to detect two such sites. Finding Confederate materials in Missouri is a lot rarer than for our friends in Mississippi and Virginia so anything I find in Missouri I feel pretty lucky.

The site we hit on Saturday has been hit hard and was not a major site to start out with. Abe found one dropped Enfield and twelve small dropped and shot round balls. I also found a dropped Enfield, melted lead, a small round ball and what appears to be a wedge. Not much for 5 hours hunting but any day you can detect in Missouri in December is a good day.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 12-17-11.jpg
    12-17-11.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Upvote 0

shack24

May 26, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gta 500; Garrett Ace 350; Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still, some awesome finds!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Shucks .. That looks like a respectable batch of goodies to me! Nice December finds! :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup......THing in December in Missouri is a pleasure. I went to school in Springfield.....remember the cold cold winter winds.
Good finds. I wasn't hunting when in Missouri, but did enjoy the "old" feeling of the cities and the countryside.
And, many good folks in that state.
God bless. Have a great Christmas and 2012.

OP
OP
M

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
hikeinmts said:
Yup......THing in December in Missouri is a pleasure. I went to school in Springfield.....remember the cold cold winter winds.
Good finds. I wasn't hunting when in Missouri, but did enjoy the "old" feeling of the cities and the countryside.
And, many good folks in that state.
God bless. Have a great Christmas and 2012.
Sounds like you miss Missouri a bit?

I know I may sound like a tourism bureau but Missouri ranked 3rd in the number of civil war engagements after Virginia and Tennessee. Growing up I rarely encounted Missouri history or evidence of the war but as I got older I saw it more and more. The sites are everywhere but like most states, most have been heavily hunted and with the exception of a few places, most sites were either sparsely populated or saw only short use. I know there are still untouched sites out there and Abe and I are using this winter to research. I have really enjoyed meeting people on this site and in the case of Jeff (umrgolf) enjoyed getting out in the field with fellow THers.

Merry Christmas to everyone and let's hope for a mild winter.

Mikeshayne

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. Its been unusually warm in Maryland also. It was in the high 50's the past few days but I was only able to get in a 2 hour hunt. I'm sure the ground will be completely frozen before long. Happy Hunting.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: :wink: Nice handful of lead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread