Working the first gold claim of the greatest gold miners in the world.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day folks.

History

BEFORE THE "WELCOME STRANGER"

Two good friends who were to go on and have their names inscribedin the history books were for a short period residents of the Long Gully St Just Point area. They were John Deason and Richard Oates, the discoverers of "The Welcome Stranger Nugget", the world's largest alluvial gold nugget.

While John Deason was to survive to the ripe old age of 85, he died at Moliagul September 13, 1915, some 53 years after he left Long Gully. The Long Gully chapter of his life would have been the saddest.
John was to lose his first wife Marget nee Davey and their 3 children; he married a second time and lost their son three months before leaving for Moliagul.

Over the years Deason and Oates to remain the best of friends ,this can be seen by the fact that when Deason's second wife Katherine gave birth to a girl in 1872 she named Grace Oates Deason.

Contarty to what some historians have written. Richard Oates was born at St Just Point , Cornwell UK. It is the location from which our St Just Point gets its name. When he died on October 29 1906 aged 75 he was buried at Marong Cemetery, and the man who has his name written the pages of the world s's history laid in an unmarked grave for 92 years, until his grand daughter Joan Burridge nee Oates and her son placed a Memorial Stone on the grave.

This evening i went to where the First Oates and Deason gold claim was in Long Gully This claim was the place where the Weclome stranger wasn,t found. They mined here first before moving to Moliagul.
the picture tell the rest of the story. I believe i will keep and treasure the gold and silver threepence i found. I my opinion history in gold mining doesn,t get any better than this. If anyone has any questions i will gladly give you more info. Many pics

tinpan

link to cornish mining here

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bendcorn/miners_in_bendigo.html

Attachments

• 100_1233.jpg
    100_1233.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,726
  • 100_1231.jpg
    100_1231.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,717
  • 100_1230.jpg
    100_1230.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 100_1229.jpg
    100_1229.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,727
  • 100_1227.jpg
    100_1227.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,752
  • 100_1226.jpg
    100_1226.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 100_1225.jpg
    100_1225.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 100_1224.jpg
    100_1224.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,754
  • 100_1223.jpg
    100_1223.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 100_1222.jpg
    100_1222.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,761
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Working the first gold claim of the greatest gold miner in the world.

more pic

Attachments

• 100_1218.jpg
    100_1218.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 100_1217.jpg
    100_1217.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,710
  • 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,729
  • 100_1215.jpg
    100_1215.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,715
  • 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,683
  • 100_1221.jpg
    100_1221.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,695
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why no-one had ever hunted this site before? This week the local govt Dep.[D.S.E] did a fire control programme . i knew about the site and burn-off months ago but had to wait. A few weeks ago i post the overgrown site and the site as seen this evening

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1152.jpg
    100_1152.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,802
  • 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • 100_1152.jpg
    100_1152.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,796
  • 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,856
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaninNH said:
I would love to detect there.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :icon_thumright:

Thanks but you can hunt here. The location is on public land and only a Miner's Right is required $28 for 2 years. No tax no other fees take what you can find . that included tourists from other countries.This right was won by miners in the Eureka Rebellion and 3 American miners lost their lives fighting for this cause .

tinpan

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice,again congratulations.good hunting .ossi

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always look forward to reading about some of your areas
history Tinpan. Enjoyed the pictures as well. Nice pickers.
Thanks for posting ..... Gold Nuggets :hello:

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Tinpan I am jealous you have such great places to metal detect and the history lessons you provide for the area are informative and entertaining. Keep up the posts. HH Ted

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
so tinpan are you going to write a book about all the places you hunt and the history behind them ? I think it would be great reading.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations that is a helluva gold nugget :occasion14:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Dave,
In my opinion you know the Minelab GPX just as good as any one my friend. In your opinion what "DD" coil do you recommend for best depth in mineralised soil? There is a Minelab GPX craze going on up here right now, and I am selling a good amount of them to the American Civil War relic enthusiasts along the Eastern side of the United States. You were initially the one who took time to teach me mine, and I wont forget that. Would you mind sharing a few settings you use, and what coils in you opinion compliment the machine best?

Thanks Dave
Your the best

Mike

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
So Dave,
In my opinion you know the Minelab GPX just as good as any one my friend. In your opinion what "DD" coil do you recommend for best depth in mineralised soil? There is a Minelab GPX craze going on up here right now, and I am selling a good amount of them to the American Civil War relic enthusiasts along the Eastern side of the United States. You were initially the one who took time to teach me mine, and I wont forget that. Would you mind sharing a few settings you use, and what coils in you opinion compliment the machine best?

Thanks Dave
Your the best

Mike

Thank mike, I can give you the setting i use in heavy mineralised ground for gold.I use a 12 mono el. coil to find the small gold that is left on well worked over gold bearing ground both primary and secondary deposits. Giving some depth for sensitivity . Don,t be fooled i still nail half gram pieces at 16 inches. Small gold like a tenth of gram at 8 inches. Soft as the signal may be quite destinct. First start your GPX in factory reset. Switch modes are
search mode general
soil/ timing enhance
ground balance fixed
coil/rx mono
You can use auto tune but i find mannual tune freq between 89-110 up or down to keep quite. Most other settings are factory preset bring target volume up 2 timing setting on slow Threshhold at quarter or a bit less Gain about 8 to 10 Always mannual ground balance when ever and keep the coil just off the ground. Get a sample piece of gold and run it over your coil and the signal is quite destinct Only lead and gold are near the same except gold is a little more aggressive. Over active hot rocks are little less flat and do increase when closer. Subject to other opinions on hot rocks there are always going to be the odd one you cannot tune out. Run a sample of gold over your coil and learn the sound. takes a few goes. Junk iron is another clear signal . Take from me use a speaker and not head phones . This will give 60 % signal recon the rest becomes dig unknown targets. because the ground was turned over at the time of gold mining much materal has been washed away and the rock pan is quite shallow in places. The mines left no rock unturned and no tree left standing. These setting work on mineralised ground Fact The pic is of 22 ozs of small to 1 gram pieces found in 2 years. Few pieces at a time. Be patient and listen. I,m still using a GPX 4500 and plan to buy a 5000 next year.

Do,nt listen to internet know it all, listen to those that use these gpx's Wonder what a 5000 will bring me Gold and plenty of it. By the way i do not work or get anything free from minelab or any other industry company's just my honest opinion

tinpan

Attachments

• S7300753.JPG
    S7300753.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,381
  • S7300753.JPG
    S7300753.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,375

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinpan,

Your photos and historical information are always top notch, but that last photo blew my mind. Fantastic! Congratulations on a great year, my friend.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,

Buckles

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleElf said:
Tinpan,

Your photos and historical information are always top notch, but that last photo blew my mind. Fantastic! Congratulations on a great year, my friend.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,

Buckles

Thanks Buckles The pic looks great but i earn every gram of gold i dig spent many years going home with little and in resent months pickings are slim. i would one day like to find an american 49er buckle . There was 17,000 49ers on the gold feild here in 1852.

tinpan

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You wrote: "Take from me use a speaker and not head phones . This will give 60 % signal recon the rest becomes dig unknown targets"

OK Dave, so you say to run the external speaker system. I run the portable battery system and amplifier. How does this affect the battery running with the external speaker in your opinion?

For those of you out there using the Minelab GPX machines, take notes from this. Dave Knows what's up. :wink:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
You wrote: "Take from me use a speaker and not head phones . This will give 60 % signal recon the rest becomes dig unknown targets"

OK Dave, so you say to run the external speaker system. I run the portable battery system and amplifier. How does this affect the battery running with the external speaker in your opinion?

For those of you out there using the Minelab GPX machines, take notes from this. Dave Knows what's up. :wink:

Hi mike Once again i can only give you an opinion based on the factors in my location Why external speaker. Several reasons

First is complete attention on what is going on around you. I share the forrest with others which include motor cross rider and 4x4 's mountain bike riders Few man made hazards Second natural hazards Lifts of bee and swarms of bees are common , local trees drop branches and you can here them cracking even with out wind. Second comfort Ear phones can be just to much, get in the junky area of hard rock mines blow your brains out. i do believe that battery use time drops a little but i don,t get to that stage in one trip. The hard conditions of climate and hard ground only allows work a few hours before you need a break. 4 to 5 hour for me is enough for one day and always have enough battery power left. yet to hear the battery warning .I keep my battery fully charged and have not had to replace it yet . Been 2 years I do think that some speakers the connection wire is a little to long and attention to securing it is important. Have broke the wire a few times. Wheres the soldering iron :laughing9: :laughing9: Like you Mike i too have learnt from others. The great thing about GPX there so many combs that one can decide what best suits them. if plan on a long trip i recommend a second battery as i have only travel down the road a few miles. Heard plenty of stories of others have to wait while battery is recharging. Too may poeple have way to many coils, with mono coil always go 12inch then larger should be 16inch. Your not going to gain much from a 14 inch.

tinpan

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi remember what i said about gold and lead having a signal nearly the same as gold. So if i can find a bullet of this nature 10,000 miles from a civil war site on a australian gold feild.Gives you an idea how well the above coil and setting work in my conditions. American Boot Gully got its name from the 49ers who wore long boots .Changed the name to kangroo flat some years later. I have yet to use my DD coil for any lenght of time but others do use them all the time

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1032.jpg
    100_1032.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,247
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
tinpan,Is that Butter?? :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: God Bless Chris

Do you eat those who are burnt as witches in West Mass. ???? :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread