Looking for fish tags on East Coast Florida Beaches

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
After doing some computer work for a scientist where I work, we got to taking about tags that are from cownose rays that were time released and ended up on the Florida coast beaches. They have GPS locator's inside and one of them he was able to track inland and has been distributing fliers trying to recover them. Sure sounded to me like someone with a MD found it so I offered to post this in hopes of them being returned. Here is a copy of the flier he is circulating. Sorry Mods was not sure where to put this so move it where you think it belongs, thanks.

There are also a few other tags on the beaches of Florida that still need to be located. Here are the co-ords if anyone is in these areas. I think there is a small finders gift for return but I'm not sure what it is.

Here is the email from him:

Tags are on the beach 1 tag at 28°49'58.35"N 80°45'36.14"W ~14 miles south of New Smyrna Beach
Other tags at 28° 4'58.57"N 80°33'43.06"W in Indialantic between 12th Avenue and Miami Ave
And at 28° 7'36.81"N 80°34'33.79"W between Coral Way and Paradise Blvd.

….I am hoping someone has picked the tags up and will contact me. FYI, the tags were attached to adult cownose rays…40lbs with 100cm wind span…..here in the Chesapeake Bay in mid-September. I am trying to see where the rays travel during the winter. They use the Chesapeake Bay as a birthing and mating area, but travel south during the winter period when the embryos are developing. Information from the tags will provide important information on this part of the rays’ life history. Thanks for your help

And the flier contents:
Have you found this satellite tag on the Beach?

If so, PLEASE call or email me……
(PM me for contact information if found, thanks)

Finders Gift available

Attachments

• Tag.jpg
    Tag.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was down there I would definitely try to find that for them...that's really cool. I love finding bird bands and calling them in.

Good luck to the scientist.

NJ

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds like a great metal detecting club project.

A GPS to locate the coordinates and about 30 people with detectors could recover them all.

Y'all get busy down there.

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe in the future they could place a "If found, Please call 757-xxx-xxxx with a serial #. Reward." like they do for the flounder. I got a t-shirt and hat a few years back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread